Gear | Tour | Industry Insider

Tuition:

Video Library | Tuition Sections

Community:

Join | Log In | Help | Useful Links

New Forum System - click here to visit our new & improved forum system >>>

starting to develop a draw

Posted by: user129155 | Thu 8th Jan 2009 14:59 | Last Reply

When hitting from the fairway recently i have started to make a clean contact much more regularly however I have started hitting with a draw.

Would you try and work it out of your swing or use it purposley? Its coincided with slowing my swing down a bit and keeping my head more still.

re: starting to develop a draw
user52922
Reply : Thu 8th Jan 2009 16:51

If you have developed a natural draw, Stephen, you are indeed a lucky man, because to achieve that, the ball has to be struck in the correct manner from the inside.

Hang on to it for as long as you can, because until you understand how yor swing has changed for this to happen, you could lose it at any minute.

I play with a slight draw and that is what gives the control.

user20126 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Thu 8th Jan 2009 17:25

I'd love to have a natural draw, but like 95% of the world's golfers I'm one of those whose natural shot is a fade!

Don't get me wrong, with the correct set-up I can hit a draw, but it's not my natural shot.

Hang onto the draw and use it too your advantage.

Russ

user52922
Reply : Thu 8th Jan 2009 18:41

Christopher, there is no better sight in this world than seeing a golf shot turn over at the end of its flight as it homes in on the pin. One knows that to have achieved this then the ball has been struck perfectly on line and plane.

The Pros can do what they like, they appear to have more power than us amateurs anyway, so they can afford to lose a bit by fading ther ball. It is also an easy shot to produce under pressure and that is why they probably use it all the time, as they don't trust themselves to be able to hit a controlled draw. A fading ball will also stop quicker, but not to the extent that we should all change our approach to how we play the game.

user118394
Reply : Thu 8th Jan 2009 20:41

in the last few months i have started drawing the ball but only with certain clubs,

i hit a fade with my driver but a draw with my 3 wood 3 and 4 iron and all the rest go straight(ish)

its very weird aiming in different sides with each club but like you guys say

you do get more distance with a draw,and it looks a better shot to as john says.

user52922
Reply : Thu 8th Jan 2009 20:56

Neil, the reason it looks a better shot, is because it is a better shot. Some people are gifted with it naturally, others have to work at it, but anyone can hit a fade.

user129155
Reply : Sun 11th Jan 2009 20:30

Well i finally know what the hell was wrong with my swing and it was everything lol.

Tried a different video lesson at the driving range with a pro who actually knows what he's talking about.

they were causing my face to be closed at the top.

Now I have been shown how to open to face on the backswing, and delay the release til the right moment.

They were able to put my swing vid front on side by side with that of all of the top pro's - totally different to everything i was doing. Wider stance, much less movement in the legs and hips with same shoulder turn.

Feel like i've wasted so much time and effort with the other bloke! the hard work starts here!  oh, and John - You were right :-)

Last edit : Sun 11th Jan 2009 20:30
user52922
Reply : Sun 11th Jan 2009 20:38

Pleased for you Stephen, you have now found a teacher who knows what he is talking about. Progress should be pretty rapid from now on.

I knew I was right, but I was never going to convince you at the time, even when I posted the still photograph of your swing at the top.

user129155
Reply : Mon 12th Jan 2009 14:36

i thought it was just a wrist cock, and that nothing was causing it - it was the fact i wasnt opening the face on the backswing.

Shows you that not every PGA coach  knows what the fk they are on about!!!

user52922
Reply : Mon 12th Jan 2009 14:41

You have to remember, Stephen, that many of the pros teaching have never been good enpough to play on the tour and many have gone straight into the game as pros without even having played top level amateur golf. This does not mean that they cannot teach, but what you don't know is what method they are going to attempt to pass on to you.

Their only concern is the money you are going to pay them and providing they get you hitting the ball down the range then that is all that matters to them. They could not give a damn whether you improve or not. Sad, but true unfortunately.

user77012
Reply : Mon 12th Jan 2009 15:51

Stephen ,the only thing that won't lie is the ball flight !

user209897
Reply : Fri 11th Sep 2009 00:13

draws will be less wind affected than a fade,iv hit enough high fades that have been destroyed when they get above tree level,also theres a reason most dog legs turn left, because fading the ball is aneasy skill to learn, also youl find hazards and out of bounds running down the right handside often on short par 4s to protect scores,

user202037 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Fri 11th Sep 2009 11:22

First thing here, make sure you are hitting a Draw and not a Hook. A draw will only fall left, not turn left (RH). I have heard many people say they play with a draw, but when you actually see it, its a Hook.

On the subject of Pro's. They either TEACH the game, or COACH. The young ones Teach while the older, more experienced ones Coach. The difference is that you Teach a standard method while you Coach someone to improve what they have.

TheLyth

The Forums have now moved to a new version

We have now moved the forum to a new and improved system which provides more functionality plus provides easier access from desktop, tablets and smart phone devices.

Click here to view the new forum & register for free.

Scroll to top