Gear | Tour | Industry Insider

Tuition:

Video Library | Tuition Sections

Community:

Join | Log In | Help | Useful Links

New Forum System - click here to visit our new & improved forum system >>>

Using X-Out Balls

Posted by: user33026 [FORUM MODERATOR] | Wed 7th Jan 2009 16:01 | Last Reply

I'm running very low on yellow golf balls and was considering getting some of the yellow X-Out Titleist PTS Roll balls that are available in American Golf for £6.99 a dozen.  Apparently they are X-Out for cosmetic reasons only (incorrect stamping I believe).  I plan to only use these when it's frosty, so for around 2-3 months. 

I know that I can't use them in an official competition (club medals, etc) as they are technically illegal and use results in disqualification, but what's the etiquette about using these in friendlies or non-official comps such as a Golfshake event?  Do you have to declare they are X-Outs before the game starts and be willing to swap for a non X-Out if one of your playing partners isn't happy?  I'd welcome advice on this. 

re: Using X-Out Balls
user52922
Reply : Wed 7th Jan 2009 16:06

I believe they ae only Xouts because the manufacturer is not happy with the ball, I very much doubt that they are illegal or they could not be sold in the first place.

user33026 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Wed 7th Jan 2009 16:39

As you've said John, I can't see a company like Titleist (with all the legal stuff they've got going on at the moment regarding balls) selling a ball that they know is illegal. 

So as long as an X-Out meets the size, weight, symmetry, etc requirements then it can be used for general play.  In theory, the ball is non-conforming with the standard that the manufacturer has submitted to the R & A, so it does not appear on their List of Conforming Golf Balls.  This is how the committee can declare them unusable balls in comps (Rule 33-1). 

If I've got this right then, I can use these balls for general play and unofficial events with no worry.  I think for etiquette reasons I would be more comfortable if I informed my playing partners of the situation before using them.  Would anyone have a problem if I used one for the Belfry event if it was frosty? 

user8 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Wed 7th Jan 2009 16:55

Intersting, relates to USGA and R&A http://golf.about.com/cs/rulesofgolf/a/faq_xout.htm

'if you are competing in a tournament or at a club where the Conforming Ball condition is in effect, X-Outs are illegal for play'

Question from the USGA ruling site

"Q. 'X-out' is the common name used for a golf ball which a manufacturer considers to be imperfect and has, therefore, crossed out the brand name on the golf ball. What is the status of an 'X-out' ball?

"A. The vast majority of 'X-out' balls are rejected for aesthetic reasons only, i.e., paint or printing errors. In the absence of strong evidence to suggest that an 'X-out' ball does not conform to the Rules, it is permissible for such a ball to be used. However, in a competition where the Committee has adopted the condition that the ball the player uses must be named on the List of Conforming Golf Balls ..., an 'X-out' ball may not be used, even if the ball in question (without the X's) does appear on the List." 

user26342
Reply : Wed 7th Jan 2009 18:11

Chris,

I've no problem with you playing with them at the Belfry, they will still make a big splash when they hit the water!!

John.

Reply : Thu 8th Jan 2009 09:38

Cool.  Didn't think there would be an issue and I didn't complain when Darren used one of them the other week!  I've looked into it and apparently they were a batch that was stamped with 'DT' instead of 'PT' in error (or it may be the other way round).  There's a dozen now nestling in the boot of my car.  When the missus found out she just muttered "More f#&*ing balls, you've got a problem you have."

user8 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Thu 8th Jan 2009 09:43

lol

Chris, you know what they say - 'Men and balls' 

Reply : Thu 8th Jan 2009 09:49

She's seen me play so she should know why I need to buy so many!

The Forums have now moved to a new version

We have now moved the forum to a new and improved system which provides more functionality plus provides easier access from desktop, tablets and smart phone devices.

Click here to view the new forum & register for free.

Scroll to top