Gear | Tour | Industry Insider

Tuition:

Video Library | Tuition Sections

Community:

Join | Log In | Help | Useful Links

New Forum System - click here to visit our new & improved forum system >>>

How do you rewind the clock?

Posted by: user15152 | Fri 2nd Jan 2009 18:34 | Last Reply

Had a video of my swing taken Yesterday and its certainly a great visual tool and it certainly shows why I've had a terrible year on the course this year, with my handicap going up with every round played. Looking at the swing its horrid how bad its become and thats despite having had lessons for the last 12 months. Basically I can't see any improvement in it and if anything its worse then it was back in 2007 and early 2008 before I started having proper lessons.

I hate how the club travels outside on the backswing, I hate how collapsed and narrow my swing is at the top. I hate how the club is too much on the inside as I downswing. I hate the in to out path through impact that without hands results in a block or shank. When I use hands it then produces that lovely draw shape thats hard to control.

How can I turn the clock back and get back to the swing I used to have? The one below (I know its from a different angle but its certainly shows a more consistant swing which delivered better results):

The main thing I notice between the two is how I've lost the control of my arms in the swing. In the old video my left arm stayed quite straight and the swing length was as long as was comfortable, it actually looks quite short to some people but I don't think it being short is a problem. The more compact swing had less errors in it I think and less time for errors to appear with my tempo. In the recent video I seem to lose control of my arms and the left elbow bends. Probably has something to do with my right elbow appearing to be jammed into my side throughout the swing. It doesn't get any seperation like in the old swing.

Anyone have any suggestions for me?

Yeah for some reason John its not working when I post it. Here is the link to the video I did yesterday:

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=5pBuJb7AFFg

Here is the link to the older video:

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=0Dv4zIsfOE8

Last edit : Fri 2nd Jan 2009 18:47
re: How do you rewind the clock?
user52922
Reply : Fri 2nd Jan 2009 18:41

Cannot see the videos, Chris.

user20126 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Fri 2nd Jan 2009 19:11

I could see the videos.

The two main differences I see is the climate.

The video you did yesterday you can see the weather was cold and your old swing it looked nice and warm.

Not being the worlds best teacher of golf all I can say is it does look like your backswing is too far outside, on your new swing.

When I had a lesson I was told to swing back and imagine that there is somebody stood behind me on the target line.  All I had to do was swing back and imagine that I was putting my clubhead into his hands.

I should vidoe my swing and get it up for you all to marvel at....   lol

Russ

user52922
Reply : Fri 2nd Jan 2009 19:48

I like your setup position though, Russ, assuming that is you in your avatar.

user20126 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Sat 3rd Jan 2009 11:37

Thank you John, I'll pass your comment onto my pro.

That picture was taken on the first tee at the Priors course, I'd just finished a round of golf and I had remembered to take my camera with me.

So I got my partner to take a picture of me, but as you can see it was pretty dark by then!

Russ

user69191
Reply : Sat 3rd Jan 2009 13:48

Hi Chris, I've looked at a few examples of your swing over the past year and this latest one looks like a completely different bloke hitting the ball.

Your backswing is so quick, you're starting at 100 miles per hour and if you start that quick you can only be out of time on the downswing and follow through. Being a high handicapper myself I'm obviously in no position to offer sound advice but try slowing your backswing down, a lot! Then power through it like you look like you usually do.

In my opinion this is one of your better swings, along with your driver swing 15/06/07: http://www.golfshake.com/video/watch/185/My_Swing_7_Iron.html although backswing is still quick its nowhere near as snappy as the latest vid, its still very smooth.

Paul

user52922
Reply : Sat 3rd Jan 2009 23:35

Chris, if this swing that you curently have has been given to you by professional instruction, then all I can say is that you have wasted your time and money.

You were certainly swinging much better in 2007 even though, as has been mentioned, rather quick.

As you now have to change or you will just stagnate, perhaps now would be a good time to think seriously about what you wish to achieve in this game. All the good players have a nice smooth tempo, something that is not difficult to learn. I would suggest that you go back to your old style of swinging on the correct plane as at the moment it is rather out to in and try and not to power the ball until you are in the hitting area.

I hop[e it works out for you as you have spent a lot of money on equipment, obviously love the game with your job and deserve to be playing the game the way you want to.

user23840
Reply : Sun 4th Jan 2009 08:38

I suffer from the tendancy to swing to fast. I was told by a pro it's not so much the speed of the swing, some swing naturally fast others not, but the tempo. If my tempo starts to go to peices, which it often does, I have a little swing thought. In my mind I say the phrase strawberry mouse. Strawberry on the back swing, mouse on the down swing. You need to find a phrase that suits the speed of your swing. This always helps with my tempo. Still cant chip for toffees though.

Hope that helps.

The Forums have now moved to a new version

We have now moved the forum to a new and improved system which provides more functionality plus provides easier access from desktop, tablets and smart phone devices.

Click here to view the new forum & register for free.

Scroll to top