Gear | Tour | Industry Insider

Tuition:

Video Library | Tuition Sections

Community:

Join | Log In | Help | Useful Links

New Forum System - click here to visit our new & improved forum system >>>

Mallorca Golf Mini Review

Posted by: user93950 | Sat 27th Dec 2008 21:33 | Last Reply

After my little trip to Scotland, I then went to Mallorca to warm up a bit and play some golf.  Well, it was not warm but that's beside the point.

I played two courses and refused to go on another.

The first one was Real Benidat and when I got there and saw the course, I decided that I was not going to play because quite frankly I'm not in good enough shape to walk a course built on, around, up and down a mountain.  They don't tell you that on their webpage, but I later saw a review that said exactly that..."If you are not in absolute 100% perfect physical condition..." this course is not for you. 

The second course I went to and played on a beautiful day was Son Vida.  Winter rates of 70 euros or $140 to me, and they said it was a bit wet and that it's a typical problem on that course.  Well, wet doesn't describe this course.  It was soaked and nearly unplayable.  Most of my shots that ended up in a fairway had to be picked up and moved up to 30-40 yards most of the time.  After I got water logged and mud up to my knees, it wasn't looking like a good day.

The course itself as far as I'm concerned was fairly bland and boring for the most part.  Not worth playing.  The water problem was extraordinary considering that this course is not really in a low lying area.  Even the fairways at the high points were water logged. 

The last course was the Jones designed course at Alcanada.  90 euros winter rate or $180 for me and after playing on a number of Jones courses, this one was a massive disappointment.  So what if the view of the Mediterranean Sea was on 13 of the holes.  It was the same view all the time.

The course itself again was not one of the better works of Jones.  Very wide open, long, tough greens, and no real danger on most of the holes.  Basically just point and shoot and hit as far as you can.

Grass was obvioulsy quite dormant.  

This course is not worth the money I paid winter rate nor normal rates for that matter.

re: Mallorca Golf Mini Review
user23840
Reply : Sun 28th Dec 2008 11:43

If real benidat is any thing like it's sister course, the London Club, you probably missed a treat. I can't see how the course could have been that hilly, were buggies not an option?

Does look nice though.

Last edit : Sun 28th Dec 2008 11:43
user52922
Reply : Sun 28th Dec 2008 12:33

Michael, I have come to the conclusion that you are being ill advised or misguided in the choice of courses and destinations you have been to recently.every golfer knows that the ballearics at this time of the year are not ideal golfing conditions, you have to head much further south and preferably into the Algarve where you will find friendlier people, better courses and nowhere near the prices that you paid in Mallorca.

user93950
Reply : Sun 28th Dec 2008 16:32

John, all

I only picked Mallorca because I got a last minute dirt cheap flight on Ryanair.  I did check into the Algarve and Portugal but costs were just way too much considering that it was just a weekend trip.  But I never figured that it would be so cold down in the middle of the Mediterranean either. 

But anyway, even in good weather, I would not recommend these courses I played in Mallorca especially when compared to what we have right here.  

But I did check out those courses near Kent that you noted and maybe I'll try to get in a January winter round at St. Georges or the other two you mentioned.  

user52922
Reply : Sun 28th Dec 2008 16:45

Michael, you have to get right down the south of Spain in the winter to get warmer weather and even now it can be cold. The Algarve is right on the gulfstream and benefits from this much more than being in the meditteranean.

Princes will be the cheapest of the three I mentioned, has three loops of nine and held the Open in 1932 when Gene Sarazen won. As you know Royal St. Georges is on the Open rota and will be more expensive, even though it is right beside Princes. 

user23840
Reply : Sun 28th Dec 2008 18:13

On Monday and Tuesday, you can get 18 holes bacon roll and coffee for £35 at princes.

user52922
Reply : Sun 28th Dec 2008 21:33

Perhaps we will give that a go when the leg is better, Danny.

user23840
Reply : Mon 29th Dec 2008 08:53

Sounds like a plan John. You can show me how to keep the ball low.

The Forums have now moved to a new version

We have now moved the forum to a new and improved system which provides more functionality plus provides easier access from desktop, tablets and smart phone devices.

Click here to view the new forum & register for free.

Scroll to top