Gear | Tour | Industry Insider

Tuition:

Video Library | Tuition Sections

Community:

Join | Log In | Help | Useful Links

New Forum System - click here to visit our new & improved forum system >>>

Carry Bag On A Tee?

Posted by: user20126 [FORUM MODERATOR] | Tue 16th Dec 2008 10:30 | Last Reply

If you are playing alone and your are carrying your bag, would you put your bag down on the tee?

To be honest I do put my bag down on the tee.

I cannot see how putting my carry bag down on the tee would do it any damage.

If I'm in a group and the other have a trolley, then I'll put my bag down with their trolley.

Does anybody know if my carry bag would damage a tee?

Do you put your carry bag down on a tee?

Russ

re: Carry Bag On A Tee?
user26342
Reply : Tue 16th Dec 2008 11:21

Tut Tut Tut

user77012
Reply : Tue 16th Dec 2008 13:42

Well I do my bag 15lbs me 238lbs go figure. I certainly would not take my trolley anywhere near there, in fact hate the use of trolleys through winter (to much damage) so always carry in winter. Pro's take their bags on to the tee and they are around 40-45lbs. Bit controversial for me I know but there we are. If its the clubs wishes not to place a bag on the tee I would oblige dose not apply at my clubs though.

user129155
Reply : Tue 16th Dec 2008 14:12

i use a trolley all the time, though i would not avoid it unless specifically told to

user33026 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Tue 16th Dec 2008 14:34

Trolley or carry, I always leave my bag to the side of the tee box

user20126 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Tue 16th Dec 2008 15:56

If I'm using my trolley which I do for most of the summer months, then I leave in next too the tee.

But during the winter months I always carry my bag.

I don't leave my bag on the tee on all the holes, only the ones where I would have to walk the long way round to get back to my bag after playing a shot.

There is no problem with people who carry their bag walking across a green after putting out, so that's my 14 stone plus the weight of the bag, no damage!

So I still haven't heard any reason why it shouldn't be done, other than 'it's not the done thing', or 'It's a club rule.'

Russ

user52922
Reply : Tue 16th Dec 2008 16:05

In days gone by we always carried our clubs and we always dropped them on the tee.

Almost everyone uses a trolley of some description these days and of course it is wise to keep these off the tees and green surrounds as the relatively thin tyres damage the grass.

I am quite sure that if I carried I would still drop them on the tee.

user24437
Reply : Tue 16th Dec 2008 16:14

Sometimes do, sometimes don't. I always carry and, usually on a course I've not played before, take my bag up onto the tee. Some tee boxes are so big it could still be a long way from the markers and I can't see what damage it's going to do, especially compared to the amount of divots and ripped out tees I generate. As always if I'm asked not to do it or it's a local rule I wouldn't do it.

user69191
Reply : Tue 16th Dec 2008 17:00

Nothing wrong with a carry bag on the tee. There's a sign up in our clubhouse at the mo, 'No trolleys on the tees please', I asked the pro if this meant bags too, to which he replied, 'don't be daft'.

user20126 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Thu 18th Dec 2008 18:39

Over the last week I've been watching what other people who carry their golf bag do.

It appears from what I've seen this week that around half will put their bag on the tee and the other half don't.

I'll put my carry bag down on a tee, but when I'm near the green I make a consious effort not to put my bag down on the fringe.

I always put my bag in the longer grass around the green.

And sometimes I'll even walk around the green whilst carrying my bag, even though there is no reason why I cannot walk across the green.

Obviously if there are people behind me then I take the quickest route to clear the green.

Russ

user80078
Reply : Sat 27th Dec 2008 15:52

I can see no reason whatsoever to put my bag on the tee. I have always thought it was curteous to stand my bag to one side of the tee. I just don't see what is to be gained and would always do what I can to preserve the condition of the course. 

The Forums have now moved to a new version

We have now moved the forum to a new and improved system which provides more functionality plus provides easier access from desktop, tablets and smart phone devices.

Click here to view the new forum & register for free.

Scroll to top