Gear | Tour | Industry Insider

Tuition:

Video Library | Tuition Sections

Community:

Join | Log In | Help | Useful Links

New Forum System - click here to visit our new & improved forum system >>>

Better Putting

Posted by: user20126 [FORUM MODERATOR] | Sat 13th Dec 2008 23:41 | Last Reply

Last Boxing Day I received from my mother-in-law one of those home putting mats.

Each year we go round to her house for a family get-together and buy each other small presents.

Well, apparently this was on sale for a fiver, so she got it me.

You know the one I mean, plastic hole, with a bunker and water around it, on a slight ramp.  Then a six foot piece of plastic mat.

I used it a few times but we never really had the room, or me the time to use it on a regular basis.

Well last Easter we spent three days putting down a laminate floor in our dining room, living room and hallway.

So here I was watching the Merrill Lynch Shootout on Setanta, wishing I was playing golf.

I got the practice mat out and out came the marker pen.

With my tape measure I went from the front of the hole and put a mark at the 2, 3, 4 & 5 foot distance.  Then I made sure the mark was in the middle of the mat, it's only about a foot wide.  I then put the distance on the mat.

So here I am with my practice putting mat all marked up from two feet to five feet.

I then started at the two foot mark and everytime I holed a ball I moved to the next mark.  To be honest I never missed from the two to four foot mark, but the first three times I pulled the five foot putt!

What I started to do then was only line up my putter with the mark in front of my ball.

So there I was stroking in some lovely putts from two to five feet.

This now means I know I'm putting well and my confidence is high.

I know that there is no slope on this mat but having confidence in my putting is certain to help my game.

Russ

re: Better Putting
user20126 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Sun 14th Dec 2008 19:59

Working on your putting Mark will certainly pay dividends.

And seeing as the weather is not too good at the moment it might be worth doing.

I had a putting/chipping lesson about two months ago and it has certainly worked for me.

Most of my putts now stop close to the hole, within a foot. 

I've also started to drop the odd 15 to 20 footer, and I'm getting some good results from six feet in.

Russ

user52922
Reply : Mon 12th Jan 2009 19:43

I only ever have a few practice putts before a round for that same reason. I hate to leave myself a long putt on the first.

user52922
Reply : Mon 12th Jan 2009 19:47

I see you are from Greater London, Wassadb, so how about bringing along your skills to the North v South match on April 20th at Wokefield Park, Reading. You can add your name by clicking on Groups/events and then looking on the left hand side for the competition, don't sign up for the North by mistake.

user23840
Reply : Tue 13th Jan 2009 08:33

I only ever practice putting to get a feel for the speed of the greens. If like last week the course has a full 18 tempories, I'll stay in the clubhouse drinking a nice warm cuppa.

The Forums have now moved to a new version

We have now moved the forum to a new and improved system which provides more functionality plus provides easier access from desktop, tablets and smart phone devices.

Click here to view the new forum & register for free.

Scroll to top