Gear | Tour | Industry Insider

Tuition:

Video Library | Tuition Sections

Community:

Join | Log In | Help | Useful Links

New Forum System - click here to visit our new & improved forum system >>>

Damaged Golf Balls

Posted by: user20126 [FORUM MODERATOR] | Fri 12th Dec 2008 17:42 | Last Reply

How bad would a golf ball have to be before you would stop playing with it?

When I went to The Belfry to watch the Ryder Cup it was amazing to watch how many golf balls the professionals went through.

It could be one shot and that ball was gone, others would play a hole and that was it.

Now I know that they get their golf balls for free so can be quite strict with the condition of their golf ball.

Myself, as long as it's round and the scuff marks aren't too bad then I'll carry on playing with it.

For the main club competitions I will pick out the better golf balls from my collection, but for normal play most golf balls will do.

Another thing I don't like is when you can feel something sticking out of the ball.  You might have been in the woods and find your ball, but it's hit something solid and rough, leaving little bits sticking out from the surface.

I will normally scratch these off or tap that area of the ball with my putter.

But what do you do?

Russ

re: Damaged Golf Balls
user33026 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Thu 15th Jan 2009 09:20

Used to be 'use until lose', but I'm losing less now.  Managed to break two in three rounds (one split, the ther I took a chunk out of) so they went.  Normally for me when the paint is starting to chip they get put away and used on holes where I am going over water or there is other significant risk of loss. 

user52922
Reply : Thu 15th Jan 2009 11:18

Correct, Wayne, I had intended posting along those lines but then didn't.

Reply : Thu 15th Jan 2009 11:20

I know I should and if I'm playing reasonably well they just stay in the bag, but there are times when you think "I'm sick of throwing balls in the bloody water so if it's having another it's having a knackered/cheap/rubbish one".  Think about the 18th at Belton Woods last year and you'll see what I mean!

user52922
Reply : Thu 15th Jan 2009 11:50

I birdied that hole, Chris, which means it must have been pretty easy.

Reply : Thu 15th Jan 2009 12:40

I should've at least parred it after a good drive left me about 200 to the water.  Two poor shots later I was 40 yards short of the water.  My fourth shot Barnes-Wallace would've been proud of before it arced around the slope of the green and rolled back into the pond.  I took a drop and then preceded to put three consecutive balls into the drink in front of a baying crowd (which incidently included my laughing missus) before throwing a tantrum and not finishing the hole. 

In truth when I took the drop I had to get it up and down for a point so when the second went inthe water I should've walked away but stubbornness took over. 

user52922
Reply : Thu 15th Jan 2009 12:51

It has happened to us all, Chris. Even the best Pros in the world have had a disaster.

Reply : Thu 15th Jan 2009 13:08

I don't know what was worse; not finishing the hole (I always finish every hole, no matter how bad), losing 4 balls or everyone seeing me do it!

user52922
Reply : Thu 15th Jan 2009 13:31

History now, Chris, not even worth thinking about. You are only as good as your next game.

Reply : Thu 15th Jan 2009 14:08

Just a point of banter now John.  Those days of the game getting to me are well and truly gone. 

user77012
Reply : Thu 15th Jan 2009 14:35

Really, did you have a Q-link for Christmas Mr Perry.

user52922
Reply : Thu 15th Jan 2009 18:28

I play the top quality Top Flite Z-Balata and because I tend to hit them with the clubface, they do not seem to wear out. They are not immune to water unfortunately, but I do tend to aim away from such hazards as it affects ones score. I do the same with bunkers, I avoid them like the plague. My driving also helps me avoid the fairway.

Reply : Thu 15th Jan 2009 19:42

Got myself a Trion-Z bracelet in August Dave.  They take a while to work........

Reply : Fri 16th Jan 2009 09:59

I'm looking forward to seeing how I get on Sunday.  I've made a conscious decision to start playing tougher courses to push myself to improve, broaden my shot capability and improve my course management.  It's come to the point where I am now deciding which club to take out of my bag to accomodate my 3 iron at Conwy (thinking of those ling punches under the wind).

Reply : Fri 16th Jan 2009 10:06

Thinking of dropping out my 5 wood.  That means I will effectively have two 3 irons in the bag with my 21* rescue, but I get the feeling I may be needing that.......

The Forums have now moved to a new version

We have now moved the forum to a new and improved system which provides more functionality plus provides easier access from desktop, tablets and smart phone devices.

Click here to view the new forum & register for free.

Scroll to top