Tee Times | Search | Reviews

News:

Gear | Tour | Industry Insider

Tuition:

Video Library | Tuition Sections

Community:

Join | Log In | Help | Useful Links

New Forum System - click here to visit our new & improved forum system >>>

Major problems with my game, help needed!

Posted by: user20126 [FORUM MODERATOR] | Sat 22nd Nov 2008 23:00 | Last Reply

HELP!!!

Something has gone wrong with my game over the past two weeks.

It started last week when I played at my club (Stapleford Abbotts - Priors Course).  I always play off the white tees when I can.  I was on my own so no pressure to beat anybody and no time limit on my game.

I shot 83 for a course with a par of 70 (SSS 69), my handicap is 16.  I had two double bodeys on my card with no penalties.  This is not like me at all!

Then three days after this round I played the same course with a friend of mine.  I shot 88.  This time I had a 7 and a 9 on my card, with one penalty shot.

I then played Stapleford Abbotts (Abbotts Course) from the yellow tees, par 72, SSS 69.  I shot 85 which is my best score on that course ever, beating my previous best by two shots.

The Abbotts course is a lot harder than the Priors course, with plenty of OOBs and water to content with.

Let's hope this disaster continues for me.

PS, how do I go back to my normal self?   The lessons are starting to work I hope.

Russ

re: Major problems with my game, help needed!
user20126 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Mon 24th Nov 2008 11:38

Wayne, you've got it!

For years I've hacked my way around a golf course.

Now that I've finally joined one and have played more often my game appears to be heading in the right direction.

As an extra to my post I played yesterday with my full waterproofs on, six layers of clothes, wet weather glove and umbrella up and still managed to stay near my handicap.

I'm just hoping that my game stays like this as I'm beginning to look like I know what I'm doing!

Russ

Reply : Tue 25th Nov 2008 18:09

Before I joined Stapleford Abbotts GC I used to play probably, on average, once a month.

Now I'm a member I'm playing three rounds a week, weather permitting.

I've also had roughly, a dozen lessons.

Now I know what I'm meant to be doing it does seem the be keeping the ball in play a lot more.

My latest lesson was on my driving, which with my slice was causing me too many problems.  Now having moved my hands lower and the ball a little bit further forwards things see to be happening now.  My drives are staying straighter off the tee and now a bad shot seems to be in the semi-rough just off the fairway, instead of in the woods!

Russ

user81416
Reply : Thu 4th Dec 2008 14:21

An old and very wealthy ex colleague of mine once said that people called him lucky. His

reply was 'yes the harder I work the luckier I get'.

I suspect Russ that all your hard work is starting to pay off. I fully expect single figures by the end of next year, no pressure 

Reply : Thu 4th Dec 2008 14:37

Dave you're right in what you say.

I've probably played more golf in the past year than I have ever played in my life.

I always put my scores in here at GolfShake but there are many a time when I've only managed to get 13 or 14 holes in before it gets too dark, or time to pick my daughter up from school.

Then there are the times when I go up to the golf club and hit some balls on the practice ground.

I've got 200 golf balls in my practice ball bag and it takes me about two hours to hit them all and then go down and chip them all together, which I think is good practice.

Russ

The Forums have now moved to a new version

We have now moved the forum to a new and improved system which provides more functionality plus provides easier access from desktop, tablets and smart phone devices.

Click here to view the new forum & register for free.

Scroll to top