Gear | Tour | Industry Insider

Tuition:

Video Library | Tuition Sections

Community:

Join | Log In | Help | Useful Links

New Forum System - click here to visit our new & improved forum system >>>

Change It or Improve It?

Posted by: user33026 [FORUM MODERATOR] | Fri 14th Nov 2008 10:59 | Last Reply

I'm talking swing here and I'm interested in people's views on this.  Should you try to change your swing so that it technically correct like Tiger did, or do you work on getting the best you can out of what you have like Furyk has?  Even the top coaches are split to some degree on this. so what do you think? 

For me, I'm on the side of Furyk.  Tweak what's natural rather than try to impose on your body something that isn't. 

re: Change It or Improve It?
user77921
Reply : Fri 14th Nov 2008 11:43

I think, that if you've been playing for a few years then you should try and adapt what you have. Even if you rebuilt your swing and started from scratch, you would never have the time, money, coaches etc to get a swing as good as a pros. Just enjoy the game and be as good as you can be.

user83555
Reply : Fri 14th Nov 2008 13:08

agree - enjoy - work with what you have with a small tweak here and there

and when a little twaak works - great (until something else goes wrong) I would think that over the years we all know what we tend to get wrong anyway

but also learn a lesson we had video's taken of our Society swings a couple of months back and guess what a number of us had nightmare games for weeks and weeks after trying to correct ! 

user83555
Reply : Fri 14th Nov 2008 13:10

twaak !!!!

Is that a new swear word I've just invented ?

user77012
Reply : Fri 14th Nov 2008 15:38

what do you have to lose Chris

user52922
Reply : Fri 14th Nov 2008 16:18

When I was a member of Clevedon G.C I could tell by a persons swing, who it ,was from a distance where he could not be recognised visually.

This alone tells me that swings are personal, but that does not mean that they cannot be improved.

The most common fault is that the majority tend to not swing on plane or the correct path, yet if they did this, and without any other changes, their golf would dramatically improve.

To start completely afresh, is something, which in my opinion would be a waste of time ,as I doubt that anyone would be prepared to go through the pain, after all we wish to enjoy our games.

For the purists, like David L, he is forever searching for the little things that will make the difference and I am sure that he is not far away from producing the scores his ability deserves.

Everyone should be capable of bogey golf and that is eighteen handicap.

user52922
Reply : Fri 14th Nov 2008 16:45

Monkeys are noted for their ability to swing, Jonny P.

To achieve the ball flight that you do means that your swing is fine. If you don't want it then give it to me as I would love to have it.

user26342
Reply : Fri 14th Nov 2008 18:57

Jonny,

I also struggle to hit it low, what did he suggest you do??

John.

user52922
Reply : Mon 17th Nov 2008 10:14

Hitting it low is my natural shot, only wish I had the strength to hit it higher.

Last edit : Mon 17th Nov 2008 11:15
user77012
Reply : Mon 17th Nov 2008 11:04

To hit low : Look low,left shoulder low.hands below belt way passed impact,finish low

Hit high : look high ,left shoulder high ,finish high

The Forums have now moved to a new version

We have now moved the forum to a new and improved system which provides more functionality plus provides easier access from desktop, tablets and smart phone devices.

Click here to view the new forum & register for free.

Scroll to top