Gear | Tour | Industry Insider

Tuition:

Video Library | Tuition Sections

Community:

Join | Log In | Help | Useful Links

New Forum System - click here to visit our new & improved forum system >>>

Stiff or Regular?

Posted by: user24437 | Thu 13th Nov 2008 16:36 | Last Reply

Had an hour to spare today so popped into a local driving range and got talking to a pro about drivers, he'd just got some Callaway FT iQ's in.  So I got him to tape some up as well as a couple of 3 woods, a stiff and a regular of each and an interesting thing happened.

The 3 woods I didn't particularly like, but the stiff felt better than the regular, quite similar to the MD I've got at the moment.  The drivers were completely the opposite, I was getting about 200ish yds with the stiff, but a good 30yds more with the regular.  A lot less effort and mostly straight.

Is this common? 

re: Stiff or Regular?
user24437
Reply : Thu 13th Nov 2008 16:50

Definately my swing speed, I've found that I naturally back off with my driver to try and get a bit more accuracy.  However it's been a bit short lately so I've probably backed off more than I should have, unlike my 3 wood were I just love giving it full bananas.

user52922
Reply : Thu 13th Nov 2008 17:43

The softer the shaft the more power it will produce for the minimum effort. Stiff shafts need strong swingers to get the shaft to work.

Because it is hard to get  a stiff shaft to work they are more accurate for those who need a regular shaft. It is all compromise.

I am now down to a soft regular shaft on my driver. yet I cannot use it, because I try to hit it too hard too early. Must try and engage brain.

user33026 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Thu 13th Nov 2008 19:15

A softer shaft has more whip and, if timed correctly, will impact a faster club head speed than a stiffer shaft swung at the same speed.  However, as the swing speed increases the softer shaft lags, causing an open club face whilst the stiffer shaft is not affected by it. 

In short, the softer shaft the better the whip and the more club head speed if timed correctly.  The faster the swing, the more difficult it is to time the swing so the stiffer the shaft required.

user24437
Reply : Thu 13th Nov 2008 19:44

I know about the lag and stuff, I'm happy with the stiff shafts in the rest of the clubs.  Just curious as to why it's just the driver that I seem to get on with with the regular.

Reply : Thu 13th Nov 2008 21:48

"I naturally back off with my driver to try and get a bit more accuracy"

You're not swinging it as quick, you said so yourself.  I also tried a stiff shafted version of my driver and found it was a little more accurate (and a more penetrating flight) but I wasn't prepared to trade off the number of yards I lost - my 3 wood was longer. 

I currently have regular driver, 3 & 5 woods, stiff 3I hybrid, rifle 5.0 (semi-stiff) in my irons and regular shafts in my wedges.  Get what's right for the individual club. 

Reply : Fri 14th Nov 2008 08:04

Those damn kids eh Wayne

user9368
Reply : Fri 14th Nov 2008 10:39

Tim, dont worry its nothing to be a shamed of.

A lot of guys your age have a floppy shaft

user52922
Reply : Fri 14th Nov 2008 13:42

I can't swing smootly for bread nor butter says Jonny P.

Don't listen to this rubbish, he is one of the best drivers of a golf ball I have come across.

user24437
Reply : Sun 16th Nov 2008 23:47

Got my eye on a regular shafted driver on e-bay at the moment, if I can get it for £40ish I'll see how it goes - if not it's time to work on being a bit more commited to the driver, all the other clubs seem OK with stiff.

user20126 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Sat 22nd Nov 2008 18:39

I have a stiff shaft in my driver but my 3 wood and my irons all have regular shafts.

when I was fitted for my clubs at American Golf the guy there told me that anybody with a clubhead speed over 90mph should use a stiff shaft and those below that a regular shaft.

My clubhead speed at the time was 93mph so I ended up with a stiff shaft.

I have tried other drivers when playing with other people but I never hit their driver (regular shaft) as well as I hit my own driver.

I'd like to go back to American Golf and have them check my clubhead speed again as I've had a few lessons now and I know I'm swinging the club much better now.  I started the year with a handicap of 28 and it's down to 16 now.

The Forums have now moved to a new version

We have now moved the forum to a new and improved system which provides more functionality plus provides easier access from desktop, tablets and smart phone devices.

Click here to view the new forum & register for free.

Scroll to top