Gear | Tour | Industry Insider

Tuition:

Video Library | Tuition Sections

Community:

Join | Log In | Help | Useful Links

New Forum System - click here to visit our new & improved forum system >>>

What format do you play??

Posted by: user26342 | Mon 10th Nov 2008 20:27 | Last Reply

Just wondered what type of format you generally play. This would be a good one for those poll's that Darren keeps promising

Stableford for me.

John.

re: What format do you play??
user52922
Reply : Mon 10th Nov 2008 20:32

It does seem to be the most popular format, John, but then I suppose it is because one is not out of the comp after a bad hole.

It would be interesting to know how many stableford scores are submitted for handicap purposes on this forum, as just one blob makes a mockery of that.

user8 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Mon 10th Nov 2008 20:45

Why does one blob make a mockery ?  just interested.

JF, polls and moderators coming soon.

Regards, Darren.

user77012
Reply : Mon 10th Nov 2008 20:58

In order Matchplay,Medal,Stapleford  mostly match play as i play alot of team golf for two golf clubs, and in genaral play 2 ball and 4 ball would almost always play matchplay. As i have a choice on where i play on a weekend i always favour the medal comps.

user81455
Reply : Mon 10th Nov 2008 21:45

Not sure if its got a proper name but I played 4 points for a win 2 points for second 0 points for third in a three ball the other week and it worked really well.  It gives you the feel of matchplay in a three ball and if you are all reasonably matched it is difficult for one player to dominate. I will certainly play it again in three balls. 

I enjoy stableford in a comp and matchplay for social 2 and 4 balls.

user50354
Reply : Tue 11th Nov 2008 08:47

Society comps are always stableford.

Club comps are stroke apart from our 3/4 hcap autumn sweeps designed to bring out the bandits - these are stableford.

Personally I prefer stroke play off whites as that is the real meat of scoring...

user24437
Reply : Tue 11th Nov 2008 09:38

Casual games we usually do stroke and see what stableford points we get afterwards.  Don't play enough proper matchplay games, love the buzz of that especially at events like the N v S (do I get a prize for the first mention of that for the 2009 comp?).

user33026 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Tue 11th Nov 2008 10:42

Matchplay on a Saturday morning if there's four of us, otherwise stableford.  Strokeplay when playing with brother-in-law because were within a shot or so in handicap. 

Last edit : Tue 11th Nov 2008 10:45
Reply : Tue 11th Nov 2008 10:45

What you on about Santo.......

user26342
Reply : Tue 11th Nov 2008 12:20

he edited it & tried to hide the evidence

Reply : Tue 11th Nov 2008 13:31

I think for any high handicapper, matchplay or stableford is better.  Most high handicappers are afflicted by the blight of inconsistency, myself included.  A mare hole on strokeplay and your card is screwed, whilst on matchplay or stableford it doesn't wreck your entire card/round and you can recover it.  I've managed to card 99 off 27 on a par 72 and still get 41 points. 

user8 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Tue 11th Nov 2008 14:39
user127313
Reply : Tue 11th Nov 2008 14:49

BATTLEGOLF!!

Basically matchplay, but when you win a hole, you can remove a club from your opponents bag, (or take one back if you've lost one).

Either that or stableford. As someone else mentioned before, stroke play ruin your game after one bad hole whereas stableford can gee you up to play even better after a bad hole...

Reply : Tue 11th Nov 2008 15:21

This site is his job Chris!  Unfortunately it stops him actually getting out and playing.  And consider yourself lucky; most of us have to wait weeks for Darren to get round to responding........

The Forums have now moved to a new version

We have now moved the forum to a new and improved system which provides more functionality plus provides easier access from desktop, tablets and smart phone devices.

Click here to view the new forum & register for free.

Scroll to top