Gear | Tour | Industry Insider

Tuition:

Video Library | Tuition Sections

Community:

Join | Log In | Help | Useful Links

New Forum System - click here to visit our new & improved forum system >>>

Slow play, how would you eradicate it??

Posted by: user26342 | Sun 2nd Nov 2008 20:19 | Last Reply

It looks as though slow play has been bought up into the threads again so rather than argue amongst ourselves about if it's OK or not why not pool our thoughts into this thread & list your ideas on how you would deal with it (no comments like "I'd wrap a 5 iron round thier heads etc!!". Maybe then we can pick a top 10 of ideas & all give a copy to our clubs for them to peruse

I'll start it off.

• Encourage slow playing partners to speed up.
  • Forget about "who's honour it is on the tee", if your ready tee off (except in match play
  • Always play a provisional ball if there's any doubt.
  • Leave trolleys & bags near to where the next tee is.
  • Try to keep practice swings to 1 or 2.
  • Mark your card away from the green you've just finished.
  • If playing a 'social game' allow gimmes (within reason )
  • If your ready to play your shot & there's no danger of hitting anyone then play.
  • If your stopping at the halfway house let those groups that aren't through.
  • If you hit a bad shot don't stand there looking shocked, just get on with it.
  • If playing stableford, pick up if you can't score.
  • Rough that isn't three inches long at the first cut so that if you miss the fairway by an inch it takes you five minutes to find the ball.
  • Allow longer breaks between tee times.
  • Better signage on courses to indicate next tee direction.
  • If there is a bell to ring to let the group behind know it is safe to play then RING it!!
  • Look forward to seeing yours.

John..

Last edit : Tue 4th Nov 2008 08:38
    re: Slow play, how would you eradicate it??
    user52922
    Reply : Sun 2nd Nov 2008 20:35

Well, John, you have started and virtuallly finished it. A great list of what is required to speed up play. If you remember I teed off first every hole at Ombersley, being the shortest hitter.

user26342
    Reply : Sun 2nd Nov 2008 22:13

Nice one Allan I'll add it to my list.

user33026 [FORUM MODERATOR]
    Reply : Mon 3rd Nov 2008 09:18

1. Rottweillers

2. Tazers

3. Shot stopwatch similar to that used in chess, but attached to a shock collar for if too long is taken.

4. 5 second club selection rule, and once you've picked it you've got to use it.

5. Lumbering zombies in the rough - as long as you don't take too long over your shot they're too slow to catch you.

6. A cyborg John Pettit on every hole to ensure no-one dare play slow (sorry John, only picking you as slow play is your pet peeve and I'd be frightened to play slow if you were around!) 

7. Rough that isn't three inches long at the first cut so that if you miss the fairway by an inch it takes you five minutes to find the ball.

8. Spectators lining each hole so that not only will they see exactly where your ball landed, they have trampled the rough flat so it doesn't take six shots to hack out of it. 

I think that's a good start anyway

Last edit : Mon 3rd Nov 2008 11:46
    Reply : Mon 3rd Nov 2008 11:48

Oh, and one I forgot.  Enforce a reasonable pace of play on the tour and penalise those that don't adhere to it.  Pros should be setting an example and their behaviour influences the amatuers who follow the sport. 

Football is starting to see it now with kids diving, feigning injury and arguing with the ref and they are starting to take steps by punishing pros who behave in that manner.  Golf should follow suit and punish the players who delay play by taking five minutes finding their ball then another ten deciding how to play it (yes I'm looking at you, Mr Karlson). 

user81455
    Reply : Mon 3rd Nov 2008 23:59

1. Put your bag/trolley to the right of your ball if right handed and left if left handed so you don't have to retrace your steps to collect your bag after your shot.

2. Putt if you're ready particularly if the person furtherest away is still raking a bunker.

3. Pace from the 150 yd marker to your ball and subtract the number from 150 to see how far you have to go.  It would help if all courses put in 200, 100 and 50yd markers.

4. Better signage on courses to indicate next tee direction.

5. Blind greens should have poles with red/green discs on them to indicate whether greens are clear or occupied.

user81455
    Reply : Tue 4th Nov 2008 10:33

Wayne,

I sort of agree with you.  At the level most of us play at knowing the exact yardage is a waste of time as we do not hit the clubs consistently in the middle.  By the time you have thrown in the wind, ground conditions and elevation it becomes even less worth while.   John Pettitt has advocated, in other threads, the look at the shot and get a feel for it which is advice I have taken on board. 

However its nice to roughly know the yardage as a starting point and the method I describe does for me and gives a feel for the sort of club I should be selecting and doesn't waste anyone elses time

user52922
    Reply : Tue 4th Nov 2008 23:31

Well Keith, your number 9 fits me to a tee. So I had better give up golf, I don't hit them far enough to reach the trees so have no experience of them, therefore rambling is out of the question.

I totally disagree with your number 6 as that is strictly in opposition to the rules, furthest from the hole always plays first. If you are on the green then I would say that you are not observing the etiquete by leaving your group and wandering off in front on your own.

user26342
    Reply : Wed 5th Nov 2008 09:18

I agree with John P about no.6. How can you putt first before anyone else without standing on their line etc??

I agree with you Keith on no.3. I played a very posh private course a few weeks back & when we checked in at the pro shop he told us there was no-one in front of us for about 30mins so if we wanted to get off early we could. We had a tee off time at 13:15 so as we didn't want to rush we kept to that time. On arrival at the 1st tee there were 2 4balls waiting to tee off!!! When I asked them what time there tee-off was they said "were not sure but we want to get finished early!!!!!!" This course did have a starters hut but there was no-one in it??

user77012
    Reply : Wed 5th Nov 2008 11:38

Snippers with tranquiliser darts ,if you want to spend all day out there .........ere av another hour!!

user26342
    Reply : Wed 5th Nov 2008 11:41

Dave,

Them snippers are deadly!!!!

John.

user77012
    Reply : Wed 5th Nov 2008 12:13

Even better , no stop it sorry .Its been a bad morning ,but i'm about to cheer up off for 9 holes ,maybe 18 if playing well..............before anyone says ok,i'll be back in the house in 2hrs. I can fire my own bullets.

user11501
    Reply : Wed 5th Nov 2008 12:15

Hope they're not blanks Dave !

user52922
    Reply : Thu 6th Nov 2008 19:53

Keith, yes you can agree to play out of turn, but it is against the etiquette of the game, just by asking.

If the person in the bunker is nearer than any of those on the green then the furthest from the hole should play.

I tink the biggest problem when around the green is that the person due to play should be ready, but invariably they are not.

Today I had to walk the course because there were no buggies and I used the clubs of a fellow player, but it nearly killed me, yet, I sat down on a seat at the 17th on the Wellington (Sherfield Oaks) and thought I would rest whilst the other three member teed off. I had a short rest walked down to the tee, took a club out of the bag and played a shot as they still were not ready to play. I have given up now, the game has gone to pot.

I have not been playing well lately, Keith, body is knackered, but only get round a course these days, because I am fairly good from 150 yards in, some days outrageously so.

The game is relatively easy if one is starting from where J P, David L or Kevin H hit the ball to off the tee.

Last edit : Thu 6th Nov 2008 19:55
    user52922
    Reply : Thu 6th Nov 2008 20:20

Rules and etiquette are two different things entirely, but in my opinion they should both be respected. What you do will have no effect on me.

You can rib me as much as you like, Keith, I am used to it. What I play now is not even remotely called good enough to be called golf, but I still enjoy hacking it round and I have no trouble finding players who are prepared to put up with me.

Reply : Thu 6th Nov 2008 20:42

John, you may not be as able-bodied as you used to be, but what you play is still a much closer approximation of the game that is golf than many of us could ever hope to have.  I would happily swap my game for yours, especially your unerring consistency and frighteningly good short game.  You'd be disappointed if you carded the best round I've ever had!

Anyway, don't you come over the old and wizened, Mr Petit.  I saw you pulling off robotic dance moves on the green at Ombersley that would leave Peter Crouch beaten. 

user52922
    Reply : Thu 6th Nov 2008 20:48

Well Chris, the winners are entitled to have a little jig in celebration, aren't they?

You have the game, Chris, you just have to let it out.

user26342
    Reply : Thu 6th Nov 2008 22:48

& by the size of his belly it's doing a damn fine job of trying to get out (only joking Chris )

& John P, I didn't find anything about your game that I felt I had to 'put up with'. I admired your enthusthiasm & contribution to our game. Hope to play with you soon.

John.

Last edit : Thu 6th Nov 2008 22:51
    user52922
    Reply : Fri 7th Nov 2008 08:52

Thank you, John, I did feel we had a good team spirit that day.

Reply : Fri 7th Nov 2008 10:12

"Well Chris, the winners are entitled to have a little jig in celebration, aren't they?"

Don't know John, never been in that situation. And I'd love to let my game out but it's too bloody well hidden!!!

user52922
    Reply : Fri 7th Nov 2008 10:26

Chris,you have your business dealings well under control, so why not do the same thing with your golf.

You are naturally powerful because of your strength, yet you still persist with playing golf with a flight path that is fraught with danger. If you remember, I put you right at Ombersley in one minute and you imediately had the control that is essential to good golf.

Reply : Fri 7th Nov 2008 10:34

The problem is consistency John.  I'm working on trying to groove that better swing in but it will take a little time.  The mind is willing but the body is weak.......

user52922
    Reply : Fri 7th Nov 2008 11:25

The mind is willing but the body is weak.......

I think I know that more than you do at the moment, Chris. The brain still thinks it can play this game but the body just does not want to pay attentiion.

Reply : Fri 7th Nov 2008 11:43

I'm with you on that John, but for different reasons.  Your body can't listen, my body won't!  The difference between us is deafness and ignorance! 

At least your body used to listen John.  Mine is curently like a stroppy teenager; it needs a clip round the ear and sending to it's room. 

user52922
    Reply : Fri 7th Nov 2008 11:55

I just like to see everybody play nice golf, Chris and you have the potential to do this.

user52922
    Reply : Fri 7th Nov 2008 15:01

Yes, Wayne, a very enjoyable days golf, good company, good food, excellent result for Dave and his YMCA, not forgetting that by next year John F will be my size after eating all that chocolate.

user77012
    Reply : Fri 7th Nov 2008 17:41

If you look closely  John ,JF's advatar is getting wider . I must admit to lose to the "A" team was depressing , but to lose out on a years supply of chocky ,I was devastated. Im still in mourning.(don't worry JF all the best people are fatties,hey Milley)

user26342
    Reply : Sat 8th Nov 2008 20:26

I'm in training for the next YMCA, only 2 mars, 1 snickers & a couple of Kit Kats left & I will acheive my goal of looking like John Daley!!!

user77012
    Reply : Sun 9th Nov 2008 12:57

Also it's against the rules , unless in matchplay i believe.

user52922
    Reply : Sun 9th Nov 2008 14:00

I used to think so as well, David, but it looks as though the rule has changed.

7-2. During Round

A player must not make a practice stroke during play of a hole.

Between the play of two holes a player must not make a practice

stroke, except that he may practise putting or chipping on or near:

a. the putting green of the hole last played,

b. any practice putting green, or

c. the teeing ground of the next hole to be played in the round,

provided a practice stroke is not made from a hazard and does not

unduly delay play (Rule 6-7).

Strokes made in continuing the play of a hole, the result of which has

been decided, are not practice strokes.

user77012
    Reply : Sun 9th Nov 2008 18:58

Thanks John, I think i remember now, also was the rule changed that you can now repair a pitchmark on the green if you for instance spun off or ran through??

user52922
    Reply : Sun 9th Nov 2008 19:02

Pitchmarks can be repaired at any time, David, even someone elses.

It is spike marks that cannot be tapped down, unless you are a professional, they  alone seem to have this luxury.

user77012
    Reply : Sun 9th Nov 2008 19:08

Thanks John ,just to clarify even if your ball is not on the green?

user52922
    Reply : Sun 9th Nov 2008 22:44

Interesting point that, David. Not sure that I would be interested in repairing pitchmarks until they affected me, which is only on the green.

user52922
    Reply : Mon 10th Nov 2008 10:04

Everyone should repair any pitch marks they see on the greens. Otherwise, you would all start complaining about the ball not rolling true if you did not! Posted by Allan B.

You are not paying attention to what is under discussion, Allan.

I have already said that I repair not only my own but everyone elses.

David asked if it were within the rules  to repair a pitchmark even though he was not yet on the green to which I replied:

Interesting point that, David. Not sure that I would be interested in repairing pitchmarks until they affected me, which is only on the green.

So your response was not justifiable at all, Allan. Perhaps if I had said "which is only when I am on the green" you would have understood.

The Forums have now moved to a new version

We have now moved the forum to a new and improved system which provides more functionality plus provides easier access from desktop, tablets and smart phone devices.

Click here to view the new forum & register for free.

Scroll to top