Not looking good for the old swashbuckler, taken a turn for the worst.Lets hope they manage to sort him out and i sincerely hope he pulls through.
Reply : Sun 26th Oct 2008 23:33
I just loved watching Seve play. I believe he was more popular in Britain than he was in Spain. Get well Seve.
Reply : Wed 29th Oct 2008 17:40
Hospital says Seve 'evolving favorably' - 10/29/2008By Associated Press MADRID, Spain – Seve Ballesteros is improving after last week’s surgery on his cancerous brain tumor.
The La Paz hospital said Wednesday in a one-sentence statement that the 51-year-old remains in intensive care and has also undergone a tracheotomy, a procedure it called common in cases like his.
The hospital said Ballesteros’ condition was “evolving favorably.”
Ballesteros underwent a 6 1/2 -hour operation Friday on the brain tumor and the hospital said the surgery went better than expected. The operation removed what remained of the tumor and reduced the swelling on his brain.
Ballesteros was admitted to the hospital Oct. 6 after briefly losing consciousness at Madrid’s international airport. Eight days later, a sizable part of the tumor was taken out.
Ballesteros’ tumor is an oligoastrocytoma, which affects cells that cover and protect the nerve cells in the brain and spinal cord. In an earlier operation, part of his skull was removed to allow room for the swelling brain to expand.
Ballesteros won the British Open three times and the Masters twice. He captured a record 50 tournaments on the European Tour before retiring last year because of a long history of back pain. He has since concentrated on golf course design.
Ballesteros revolutionized European golf. After the Ryder Cup was expanded to include continental Europe in 1979, he helped beat the United States in 1985 to begin two decades of dominance. He also captained Europe to victory in 1997 and teamed with Jose Maria Olazabal in one of the most formidable partnerships in Ryder Cup history.
Reply : Wed 5th Nov 2008 22:52
Ballesteros family: Thanks for tokens of affection - 11/03/2008 By Associated Press MADRID, Spain – Seve Ballesteros continues to make progress following surgery on a cancerous brain tumor.
The 53-year-old Spanish golf great is conscious, breathing unaided and able to talk to relatives, La Paz hospital said Monday.
Ballesteros has begun to receive rehabilitation treatment in the intensive care unit, the hospital added.
Ballesteros, a five-time major winner, underwent a 6 1/2-hour operation on Oct. 24 to remove the brain tumor and reduce swelling around the brain. It was his third operation since being admitted 18 days earlier after fainting at Madrid’s international airport.
Ballesteros’ family thanked the public for their messages of support.
“With the help of God, the neurosurgeons and their teams … we trust with an unquestioning faith that Seve will come out successfully from this hardship,” the family said in a letter on Ballesteros’ Web site.
Reply : Wed 19th Nov 2008 11:59
Ballesteros released from intensive care - 11/18/2008 By Associated Press
MADRID, Spain – Seve Ballesteros was released from intensive care Tuesday following brain surgery on a malignant tumor.
The 51-year-old Spaniard will remain in the hospital to continue rehabilitation following three operations in 18 days. Madrid’s La Paz hospital said the healing process is slow and there was no timetable for his release. Restricted visits are being allowed for the first time.
Ballesteros underwent a 6 1/2 -hour operation Oct. 24 to remove the tumor and reduce swelling around the brain. He was admitted Oct. 6 after fainting at Madrid’s international airport.
Ballesteros, who won a record 50 tournaments on the European Tour, called the situation the “hardest challenge of my life.”
Ballesteros won the British Open three times and the Masters twice. He is often praised for having transformed European golf and helped Europe beat the United States in the 1985 Ryder Cup to begin two decades of dominance. He also captained Europe to victory in 1997 at Valderrama, Spain.
Last edit : Wed 19th Nov 2008 12:01
Reply : Wed 3rd Dec 2008 00:20
Seve back in intensive care
Reply : Wed 3rd Dec 2008 19:32
It does look bad all these operations but I'm hoping he'll pull through.
Reply : Thu 4th Dec 2008 10:52
I heard on the news this morning that Seve is out of the intensive card unit and back on a ward.
Reply : Wed 10th Dec 2008 07:28
The news we have been waiing for
Ballesteros released for outpatient care - 12/09/2008By Associated Press MADRID, Spain – Seve Ballesteros thanked doctors and staff for giving him the chance to play the “mulligan of my life” on Tuesday when he was released from the hospital more than two months after brain surgery to remove a malignant tumor.
The 51-year-old Spanish golfing great will continue to be treated as an outpatient, Madrid’s La Paz hospital said in a statement. Ballesteros thanked not only the neurosurgeons who performed the operations, but also the staff and well-wishers who showed support since he was hospitalized 66 days ago.
“Thanks to them I will be able to play the mulligan of my life, which I expect to enjoy at my best,” Ballesteros said in a statement posted on his Web site. “There is a long recovery time ahead and I shall keep fighting with patience and determination against the brain tumor that was detected at the beginning of October.”
Ballesteros, one of Spain’s best known sports personalities, was admitted Oct. 6 after fainting at Madrid’s international airport before boarding a flight to Germany. Since then, he has undergone four separate operations, including a 6 1/2 -hour procedure Oct. 24 to remove the brain tumor and reduce swelling around the brain. That was his third operation in eight days.
Ballesteros was released from intensive care last Wednesday – the first time he had been out of danger since his initial operation Oct. 15.
“Occasionally I was a rebel patient and therefore I ask them to forgive me and thank everyone for all the cares received,” Ballesteros said.
A five-time major champion, Ballesteros is known for spectacular shots and fearless play, but still called his current ordeal the “hardest challenge of my life.”
“When you fight with faith and persistency you can overcome whichever drawback you come across. Our mind is stronger than we imagine,” Ballesteros said. “Just as I always did in my professional life, visualizing success helps achieve ones targets however impossible they seem.”
Ballesteros did not say whether he would continue his recuperation at a residence in Madrid, but said he was confident he could recover – both mentally and physically.
“I am a believer and will continue thinking positively to defeat the illness I suffer and encourage those who are going through something similar to do it with the same determination as myself,” Ballesteros said.
Ballesteros won three British Opens and two Masters titles. He also recorded 50 career victories on the European Tour and is widely recognized as having transformed European golf.
Perhaps his most memorable shot came from a parking lot next to the 16th fairway at Royal Lytham & St. Annes in the 1979 British Open. Leading by two shots in the final round, he drove into the car park, had a car removed to get his free drop, then fired his second shot into 15 feet and made birdie on his way to his first major.
After lobbying to have the Ryder Cup expanded to include continental Europe in 1979, Ballesteros helped beat the United States in 1985 to begin two decades of dominance. He also captained Europe to victory in 1997 at Valderrama, Spain.
Ballesteros retired in 2007 because of a long history of back pain and has since concentrated on golf course design.
Reply : Wed 10th Dec 2008 08:20
Great news. Looks like the fighting spirit that ran through his game has never left him.