Tuition:

Video Library | Tuition Sections

Community:

Join | Log In | Help | Useful Links

New Forum System - click here to visit our new & improved forum system >>>

Golf Travel Bags - recommendations please

Posted by: user77636 | Tue 21st Oct 2008 19:51 | Last Reply

Hello

I am off to Tenerife in January and want to take my clubs.  Can anyone recommend a decent golf travel bag which will accommodate a stand bag, shoes and a tall driver club.

Happy to pay between £50 - £100 but must have wheels and preferably a couple of internal pockets as well as external ones.

Thanks

Susan

ps The bag does not have to be pink in color!! 

re: Golf Travel Bags - recommendations please
user26342
Reply : Tue 21st Oct 2008 21:02

Susan,

I use the Mizuno bag which is quite slim but still holds a full set of clubs & shoes. It has wheels so it is easy to pull around in the airports etc. I paid about £70 2 yeras ago.

John.

user33026 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Tue 21st Oct 2008 23:29

I use a three piece hard case I picked up in the US.  Cost me around £80 and easily gets all my golf gear in plus other stuff but goes down really small for storage.  I got it from Edwin Watts (they have them on their website). 

Personally I would recommend a hard case if you're putting them in the hold of a plane. 

Last edit : Wed 22nd Oct 2008 10:16
user77636
Reply : Wed 22nd Oct 2008 12:28

Thanks so much for such quick responses - ironically I am flying with Monarch both to Tenerife in January and Mallorca in June and the clubs will come with me on both occasions. I will therefore check the weight of any potential bag before purchasing. 

Please keep the recommendations coming.

Thanks

Susan

user71987
Reply : Wed 22nd Oct 2008 13:51

Personally i have the longridge hard case. about £90 on line from most places. It easily accomodates my Sasquach standbag, with all my clubs in it, along with shoes, balls and some clothes.

I have seen a friends clubs destroyed in transit and although he got a brand new set of G10 irons, woods and stuff from the insurance. i couldn't bear to see my sticks get mangeled!

Si

user26342
Reply : Wed 22nd Oct 2008 16:29

Susan,

My Mizuno is the soft type & it's very compact. I also travel with Monarch & have never had any problems with the weight of the bag.

John.

Reply : Thu 23rd Oct 2008 02:30

Or you could speak to me nice and I could lend you mine........for a cost.  Shot a hole next time we play. 

Seriously, if you want to borrow mine you're welcome to.  Even the gorillas at Manchester airport didn't damage my babies. 

user26537
Reply : Thu 23rd Oct 2008 09:36

If you do use a "soft" case put a broom handle or similar in the bag as this will help stop your clubs getting crushed from any impact on the top. 

user52922
Reply : Thu 23rd Oct 2008 10:57

In the days before flight bags were invented, all I ever did was put on the waterproof headcover and put a padlock on that. Probably over thirty golf holidays without a problem.

user77012
Reply : Thu 23rd Oct 2008 11:03

God, them hickory shafts were strong........................................Sorry John.

Last edit : Thu 23rd Oct 2008 11:03
user52922
Reply : Thu 23rd Oct 2008 12:25

You may dismiss hickory shafts, David, but let me tell you that hickory was a great material for golf shafts. They were extremely powerful compared to its replacement - steel. Nice to see you are having a rich vein of form at the moment. long may it continue.

user77636
Reply : Thu 23rd Oct 2008 19:38

Many thanks for all the posts - keep the bag recommendations coming.

Incidentally, I have just spoken with Monarch to book my bag onto the plane out and back.  Their golf bag allowance is 20kg (which includes bag, clubs and golf extras).  Pretty generous methinks.  Obviously you have to pay for it being a budget airline.

Susan

Reply : Fri 24th Oct 2008 11:58

How many pairs are ou taking this time Imelda?

user81524
Reply : Fri 24th Oct 2008 16:21

I go t caught this year with Easyjet - golf cover, bag clubs and anything else in there has to be under 12Kg - not much. I was ok on the way out, never said a thing to me leaving UK, but was charged excess at Murcia airport and at 5 Euro per kilo it wasn't cheap.

I've been using an Ogio straight jacket for my clubs - it's the best I've found, military grade material, loads of room, quality build 

user52922
Reply : Fri 24th Oct 2008 18:17

I will not have this problem when I go to the Algarve in February, as I am driving down.

Reply : Mon 27th Oct 2008 09:22

Those damn weight limits eh Santo......

user77636
Reply : Mon 27th Oct 2008 10:48

Dear all

Thanks so much for all your notes and recommendations.  Did some research based on your info over the weekend and have picked up an Ogio bag courtesy of E-Bay.  Should arrive this week so hopefully thats me sorted.

As I am off to Tenerife in Jan, I may need some recommendations for courses in the south of the island but I will look at the forums and post my info request in a different location.

Kind regards and thanks to all

Susan

The Forums have now moved to a new version

We have now moved the forum to a new and improved system which provides more functionality plus provides easier access from desktop, tablets and smart phone devices.

Click here to view the new forum & register for free.

Scroll to top