Tuition:

Video Library | Tuition Sections

Community:

Join | Log In | Help | Useful Links

New Forum System - click here to visit our new & improved forum system >>>

Grr, help with my Drive!

Posted by: user122741 | Sat 18th Oct 2008 17:22 | Last Reply

Hey Everyone,

After looking at some tips on how to stop slicing my drives, I realised i wasnt setting up my drive correctly, Ive started to put the weight on my back foot and angle my spine about 10 degrees away from the ball. 

I went to the driving range and was hitting 90% of my drives down the centre. Went for a round the other day and hit 1 Fairway with my driver. Like i said, fine at the driving range... But on the course. 9/10 drives would stay low and go off to the left before even going straight..

Any pointers?

re: Grr, help with my Drive!
user52922
Reply : Sat 18th Oct 2008 18:39

I am noted for being the worst player with a driver in the world, but having said that, I know that if I watched you hit a few balls I would spot the problems and be able to give you the cure.

user81455
Reply : Sat 18th Oct 2008 22:13

If you want technical advice on your swing upload a video of it and there are loads of people on the site that will be able to help John P being one of the best.

I would just comment that golf ranges are about as useful for game practice as nets are for batting at cricket.  You can work on technical aspects of your game at the range but the psychology of hitting as ball on the course is totally different and I believe this could be one reason why you are getting different results in the two places.

user115343
Reply : Fri 24th Oct 2008 21:02

could be your tense when on the course,gripping to tight and tense arms are swing wreckers.

user33026 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Wed 19th Nov 2008 16:53

Can I suggest that at the range it was your first one that wasn't straight but the rest were.  This is because when you saw that you were doing it wrong you corrected it.  Unfortunately, by the time you know that you are doing it wrong on the course it's too late as the ball is down there.  The other possibility is that you are relaxed at the range because it doesn't matter - you can just hit another one.  On the course there's a little more pressure so you try a little harder - just the wrong thing to do.   

If it makes you feel better, most of us can't take our range form onto the course. 

user26342
Reply : Wed 19th Nov 2008 18:11

Chris,

speak for yourself

John.

Reply : Thu 20th Nov 2008 09:09

I love hitting a decent drive when I'm playing you Paul because you always go balls out to try and better it, usually resulting in a walk in the jungle!  One of the best pieces of advice I was given as a beginner was this: -

Just because you once hit your 7 iron 160 yards doesn't mean you will every time.  The liklihood is that every club will be about 10% shorter than what you 'know' you can hit it.  Always take a club more than you think you need.  You won't try to hit it so hard, which means you will hit it better and are more likely to get it to where you want to be. 

Reply : Thu 20th Nov 2008 09:21

I tend to just concentrate on trying to get my driver into a position where I have a decent second shot; distance is secondary.  I then pick my second shot based on what I have when I get to the ball; do I go for the green, lay up or chip out of trouble.  Third shot is usually "what's the best way to get this as close to the pin as possible?".  I don't care what my playing partners are doing; I have control over my game but not theirs. 

user26342
Reply : Thu 20th Nov 2008 13:13

Paul,

Always try & play to your handicap, so if on a par 4 you get a shot then you don't necessarily need to get on the green for 2. Take the club(s) that will do the job for you.

By the way how did it end up between you 2 last Friday??

John.

Reply : Thu 20th Nov 2008 13:27

Do you really need to ask?  Same way as it always does.  I won.  I trumped his 30' par putt with a 54' birdie on the same hole.  I was one shot up on the last and lagged a beauty 60 ft to give me a 12" for the half.  All I have to do is get inside his head when he gets ahead and he falls apart.  We're playing the PGA at The Belfry next week; that'll sort the men from the boys.

Got any holidays planned?

user26342
Reply : Thu 20th Nov 2008 14:18

What Friday are you playing the PGA & have you got any deal??

Nah only holiday I got planned is my golf trip to SPAIN this Friday (woohoo). While you lot are getting wrapped up in base layers, 2nd layers, shirts, jumpers, hats & scarves I'll be walking around in short sleeve t-shirts soaking up the sun whilst playing lush fairways & superb greens.

John. 

Reply : Thu 20th Nov 2008 15:04

Playing on the 28th Nov and it's costing us £20 each with 2-fore-1; that price is fixed until March.  Apparently the Derby is only £25.  I would've invited you to join us but apparently you have a holiday planned.....

user26342
Reply : Thu 20th Nov 2008 15:46

Paul,

Going to Murcia & playing 4 rounds with the lads, Las Ramblas, La Finca, Allenda & Allto Real.

I might join you on the 28th as I come back on the 25th & I can show you my tan!!

John.

Last edit : Thu 20th Nov 2008 15:47
user26342
Reply : Thu 20th Nov 2008 17:12

Paul,

If I do decide to come do you know anyone else who could make a 4 ball as I think I've got a 2-4-1 voucher as well?

John.

user24437
Reply : Thu 20th Nov 2008 17:33

Been watching this one, I reckon I'm available if you've got a space

user24437
Reply : Thu 20th Nov 2008 17:44

Not got any 2 4 1's though, John had better check

user105410
Reply : Thu 20th Nov 2008 18:29

Dear Adam:

Your answer to your help is the STACK AND TILT. But for the most part you are flipping thru impact no good. That has stem because in the past you use to lean back and turned your hands over too much. Start with a iron your hand position and shaft angle should be leaning forward when making contact with the ball. Try to swing a club just with hand and noticehow the club leans when making contact. By the way or tilt from the ball should be 0-5 degrees not 10 like many tell us.

user26342
Reply : Thu 20th Nov 2008 18:39

Tim / Paul & Chris,

Just found a 2-FORE-1 voucher (is this the right one??) & checked my diary & I've nothing booked in for that Friday so GAME ON.

John.

Reply : Thu 20th Nov 2008 20:48

Hang on guys, I'm already waiting for Martin to get back to me about whether him and one of the other guys I play with on a Saturday morning can play.  He's going to let me know by 10:00 tomorrow but they've got first dibs as I asked them when I booked it.  And Paul you need to read your e-mails properly because I did tell you!!!

user20126 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Fri 21st Nov 2008 08:32

I do remember reading in a magazine how it isn't always the correct thing to do by using a wood from the tee.

The article said that if you hit a 7 iron 150 yards then it would take you three shots to reach a green that was 450 yards away. Now most par 4's are shorter than 450 yards so as long as your pitching is good you would probably walk away with a par/bogey.

Now if you hit a 5 iron from the tee and it goes 170 yards, and in the middle of the fairway then you should have a chance of reaching the green in two shots.

Hope this helps.

Russ

The Forums have now moved to a new version

We have now moved the forum to a new and improved system which provides more functionality plus provides easier access from desktop, tablets and smart phone devices.

Click here to view the new forum & register for free.

Scroll to top