Gear | Tour | Industry Insider

Tuition:

Video Library | Tuition Sections

Community:

Join | Log In | Help | Useful Links

New Forum System - click here to visit our new & improved forum system >>>

Playing in the wet

Posted by: user112595 | Fri 10th Oct 2008 11:04 | Last Reply

My handicap's been coming down fairly well over the last month and I was looking forward to getting out again. I had a shocker! My usual consistent 6 and 7 irons were appalling as I slapped the ball, took huge divots and generally hit them terribly. Off the tea and around the green I played well. The fairways were fairly wet so I put it down to that but any ideas?

re: Playing in the wet
user33026 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Fri 10th Oct 2008 12:03

Put it down to golf Andy.  The beauty(?) of this game is that we are never the same from one day to the next - it would be boring if we were.  You had a stinker, it happens, accept it and look forward to knowing you won't be as bad next time.

user50354
Reply : Fri 10th Oct 2008 12:11

Oh yes Andy, wet fairways means a big chunk of green stuff going further than the ball leaving a crater for you to trip over....

user52922
Reply : Fri 10th Oct 2008 18:42

What is this wet weather you are referring to.

user33026 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Fri 10th Oct 2008 20:30

What's this Santo, abuse Perry day?

user24437
Reply : Fri 10th Oct 2008 22:34

Don't be so paranoid, Chris.  Everyday is abuse Perry day

user81455
Reply : Sun 12th Oct 2008 21:41

I do try and use a shallower swing with less wrist hinge in the winter with my irons if I start ploughing up the course but the gripping down the shaft a bit sounds an interesting idea.

If you think you are trying to hit the ball too hard try clubbing up.  You could try using a hybrid with a three quarter swing which is less likely to dig in and with the wetter conditions will still hold the green if you hit it.

The Forums have now moved to a new version

We have now moved the forum to a new and improved system which provides more functionality plus provides easier access from desktop, tablets and smart phone devices.

Click here to view the new forum & register for free.

Scroll to top