Join | Log In | Help | Useful Links

New Forum System - click here to visit our new & improved forum system >>>

balls

Posted by: user119312 | Fri 19th Sep 2008 07:30 | Last Reply

how do u tell the difference between soft golf balls and hard ones

re: balls
user33026 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Fri 19th Sep 2008 08:17

The manufacturers generally state what the compression (softness rating) of the ball is.  The lower the number, the more the ball compresses and hence the softer the ball.  Hard balls are usually around the 90+ mark and often marketed as distance balls.  Softer balls are often marketed as as spin or control balls.  For a beginner, I recommend going for a distance (hard) ball.  These spin less off the club so fly straighter and reduce the dreaded slice. 

If you have a bag of mixed balls and you want to sort them, drop them on a hard surface.  A hard ball will give a 'thunk' sound and a soft ball will give a 'click' sound.  The hard ball will also be louder.  I used this to explain to my lad when he asked how could different balls 'feel' different.  I'm sure Tim Hawkins has carried out some sort of Nutty Professor style experiment on this. 

user24437
Reply : Fri 19th Sep 2008 08:40

The problem with the manufacturers 'rating' is that is quite subjective and can be manipulated quite easily. It is therefore almost impossible to compare between ball manufacturers.  Chris is correct in what says about the drop test, simply listening to the clunk as they bounce is a good way of comparing relative hardness in a mixed bag, as you become more experienced you'll be able to feel this with your clubs.  And yes, I did do a small test comparing sound spikes - if you're losing the will to live this is the thread:

http://golfshake.com/forums/view/480/Measuring_golf_ball_hardness_nerd_alert.html

user71987
Reply : Fri 19th Sep 2008 10:10

one is a bit sofer, one is a bit harder!

The Forums have now moved to a new version

We have now moved the forum to a new and improved system which provides more functionality plus provides easier access from desktop, tablets and smart phone devices.

Click here to view the new forum & register for free.

Scroll to top