Gear | Tour | Industry Insider

Tuition:

Video Library | Tuition Sections

Community:

Join | Log In | Help | Useful Links

New Forum System - click here to visit our new & improved forum system >>>

divots in rough

Posted by: user119312 | Thu 18th Sep 2008 19:38 | Last Reply

when i play out the rough i make a divot is it ok to leave or should i repalce it

re: divots in rough
user33026 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Thu 18th Sep 2008 22:07

Replace it, no matter where you are.  And if you're anything like me, that includes in the trees.....

user40826
Reply : Fri 15th May 2009 14:26

Dave, 

Not heard of that but it does make sense.  Will use that sound advice next time I play.

user99350
Reply : Fri 15th May 2009 14:37

Our green keeping staff are about to leave  a mix on the tees for this very purpose.

user52922
Reply : Fri 15th May 2009 15:40

I don't take divots in the rough, I find it impossible to get that low down to hit the ground.

user52922
Reply : Fri 15th May 2009 15:52

Don't you believe it Paul, all of my drives finish in the rough or a lake, that is why I am forced to play bogey golf.

user52922
Reply : Fri 15th May 2009 16:10

Looks like I have been rumbled, will have to think of other ploys.

user52922
Reply : Fri 15th May 2009 16:23

All is fair in Love, War and Golf. Paul.

user52922
Reply : Fri 15th May 2009 17:14

What you have to remember Paul, is that I was young once and  had to learn the hard way when it came to gamesmanship.

Only a couple of weeks ago I was playing at Batchworth Park Golf Club in a fourball and my partner, Darren. we were one down playing the last and Mike getting the stroke was the danger man. I was on the same line as Mike on the green but further away and there was a pretty steep climb up to the hole with not much green beyond. I hit my putt and it went past the hole and almost off the green. Knowing that Mike would have been watching with interest I turned to Darren, my partner and said "You can't believe how hard I had to hit that to get up. Sure enough Mike knocks it past the hole and completely off the green resulting in a three putt, and with Darrens par four we scraped a half. We could not stop laughing.

user20126 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Fri 15th May 2009 19:19

I would say replace your divot, even if it's in the rough.

The part about not replacing a divot on the tee is true, apparently the loose divot could affect somebody playing after you.

Russ

user202037 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Fri 15th May 2009 23:00

Its actually for the Green-keeper and his cutters. A Divot can damage the leading blade and cost a lot of money to repair so that is why most Clubs provide the Sand & Seed Bins on most Tees, at least the Par 3's.

user52922
Reply : Fri 15th May 2009 23:25

I am playing on wednesday evening with Chris next week, so I will do some for you.

user33026 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Sat 16th May 2009 12:47

That's bullying that is.  I'm telling my mom  

user199058 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Sat 16th May 2009 17:51

And your big brother

user81455
Reply : Sun 17th May 2009 00:54

The divots I'm never sure about are the ones where I've taken the grass and a very thin scraping of soil.  With these you can usually still see most of the root still in the ground.  I do replace them but suspect that the divot will die as it has little root attached and the roots will struggle to regrow through the divot.  However if it isnt replaced the roots would probably regrow but there would be a little indentation in the fairway.

user20126 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Sun 17th May 2009 10:10

John, they are the worst ones to do.

I sometimes hit my golf ball and all I've done is shave the grass, and as you say, still leaving the roots in the ground.

Most of the time I cannot find the 'grass' that I've taken as it disintigrates (prize for longest word?  ) into thin air.  Or if I do find it, all that it is is grass, no roots, nothing to hold it together, but I put it back anyway, who knows what might happen.

Russ

user52922
Reply : Sun 17th May 2009 11:43

–noun 1.Golf. a piece of turf gouged out with a club in making a stroke.2.Scot. a piece of turf.Origin:
1530–40; orig. Scots, earlier deva(i)t, diffat, duvat, of obscure orig.Dictionary.com Unabridged
Based on the Random House Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2009.
Cite This Source |Link To divot The Simple Golf Swing
Advice on how to hit the golf ball to shave 7-12 strokes off your game
www.GolfSwingGuru.comPersonalized Golf Tees
Anything Everything Branded Great Prices & Unbeatable Service
Sponsored Resultswww.mphenterprises.co.ukdiv·ot  (dĭv'ət)   
n.  

• A piece of turf torn up by a golf club in striking a ball, or by a horse's hoof.
  • Scots A thin square of turf or sod used for roofing.

• [Scots, a turf.]The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
    Copyright © 2009 by Houghton Mifflin Company.
    Published by Houghton Mifflin Company. All rights reserved.
    Cite This Source
    divot 
    1536, from Scot., lit. "piece of turf or sod" used for roofing material, etc., of unknown origin. The golfing sense is from 1886.Online Etymology Dictionary, © 2001 Douglas Harper

Last edit : Sun 17th May 2009 11:44

The Forums have now moved to a new version

We have now moved the forum to a new and improved system which provides more functionality plus provides easier access from desktop, tablets and smart phone devices.

Click here to view the new forum & register for free.

Scroll to top