New Forum System - click here to visit our new & improved forum system >>>

cleaning

Posted by: user119312 | Thu 18th Sep 2008 07:22 | Last Reply

i need to clean my clubs but if i use water wont it damage them

Last edit : Thu 18th Sep 2008 07:22
re: cleaning
user50354
Reply : Thu 18th Sep 2008 08:39

Clean mine after every round with water and have no probs.

Are yours forged..?

user33026 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Thu 18th Sep 2008 08:59

Does it damage them when it rains?   

I do mine in exactly the same way as Wanye, but in a washing up bowl of warm water rather than the bath.  The nailbrush is great for getting the dirt our of the grooves on your irons.  As long as you dry them off with a towel and then give them around 30 minutes to air off before storing you'll be fine.  Also, if you rub a little fairy liquid on the grips it makes them really sticky - a good tip for the winter months (also a little fairy liquid in brick laying mortar makes the mortar more pliant and the laying easier - my tip of the day). 

And mine are forged. 

user24437
Reply : Thu 18th Sep 2008 09:42

I clean mine using warm water as the other contributors, except that I use an electric toothbrush to get the dirt out of the grooves, particularly good for the spin milled area on my wedges.  It does sometimes loosen the glue on the hosel (but that's only the cosmetic bit) but a bit of superglue can stick them back in place.  Have used washing up liquid on the grips for many years - a trick I picked up for motorcycle grips when my brother raced them.  If the clubs are a bit stained give 'em a polish with Solvol Autosol - works on steel heads, shafts, titanium and composite shafts a treat.  Also applied sparingly with an electric toothbrush. 

Reply : Thu 18th Sep 2008 12:00

All the builders I know use fairy liquid as it's better.  If it's good enough for them, it's good enough for my barbeque. 

user24437
Reply : Thu 18th Sep 2008 13:08

Mr Pot, meet Mr Kettle

Reply : Thu 18th Sep 2008 14:34

Didn't need them.  I get Jo to do the barbequing.  I'm not trusted with naked flames in the garden since I had a bonfire that came close to the fire brigade being called and the house nearly being part of the bonfire.......

Reply : Thu 9th Oct 2008 15:41

A little fairy liquid on the grips makes them tacky - great for damp winter months. 

If your grips are worn, get them changed.  Just had a new one fitted to my driver for £3.48, including a Lambkin grip.  When it's that cheap (and it only took ten minutes) there's no excuse. 

user20126 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Mon 17th Nov 2008 22:09

A bowl of warm, soapy water.

Clean the grooves on my iron with a small nylon brush.

Run a damp cloth up the shaft and then over the grips.

Using a dry towel wipe the whole club, leave to stand for half and hour or so.

If your grips are really worn then it would be better to get new ones fitted, if they are not worn then cleaning them will make them last longer.

Russ

The Forums have now moved to a new version

We have now moved the forum to a new and improved system which provides more functionality plus provides easier access from desktop, tablets and smart phone devices.

Click here to view the new forum & register for free.

Scroll to top