Gear | Tour | Industry Insider

Tuition:

Video Library | Tuition Sections

Community:

Join | Log In | Help | Useful Links

New Forum System - click here to visit our new & improved forum system >>>

help! always slicing my drive

Posted by: user119312 | Wed 17th Sep 2008 07:28 | Last Reply

when i hit my drive they go high and quit long but always go right. i've tried every thing: put the ball forward next to my right foot and closed the club face but it always goes right. help! please!!!

re: help! always slicing my drive
user113099
Reply : Thu 18th Sep 2008 22:49

i used to slce everthing with my graphite driver i went back to steel shaft and that has sorted the problem. i also set the ball slightly towards to the heel of centre. try this.

user85262
Reply : Mon 6th Oct 2008 15:45

Alex

Have you sorted you slicing problem?

If and when I slice with my driver straight away I know its because Ive left the club face open at impact. If I can remember to let my hands 'snap over' right hand moves over left at impact then i dont slice

John

user20126 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Sun 4th Jan 2009 21:23

One of my main faults is swinging to fast and to hard!

If I take my normal smooth swing the ball goes 200+ yards, if I try and hit it further/harder it slices.

There was a demo day at my club and the guy holding the event was a long drive champion.

He told me I was getting through the ball to fast with my legs/hips and that my hands were not able to keep up, which meant I had an open clubface at impact.

I was also told to keep my weight on my back foot for longer, this would stop me getting through the ball with my lower half.  The way he explained it was to keep my weight back and let the swinging of the club pull my body through to a full finish.

It certainly works, as when I swing correctly it goes long and straight.

Another thing to try is to go ont he range/practice ground and only hit 1/2 and 3/4 swings.  Once you are happy with swinging your driver with a 1/2 swing move onto the 3/4 swing.  Once you are happy with that then extend the backswing a little at a time.

I hope you sort this problem out as it can kill your scorecard if you don't hit the fairways as often as you should.

Russ

user52922
Reply : Mon 5th Jan 2009 11:16

I have been waiting for someone else to point that out. Thanks JP. When will these new players realise that the so called latest technology is just marketing hype.

user33026 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Mon 5th Jan 2009 11:47

It's not marketing hype John, it works.  The problem this causes, in my opinion, is that it teaches people to do things incorrectly when they believe they are doing things right.  The result is they get down to a resonable handicap with their fudging sticks and when they try to get some new weapons that don't correct the fault for them they can't hit a ball straight and blame the new clubs. 

I don't believe in buying something that hides that fact that you have a fault.  You should work at fixing the fault, or at least tame it to a level where you are able to to play to your natural shot shape/ability. 

user52922
Reply : Mon 5th Jan 2009 12:07

I have never found them to work, Chris, you may have, but I never have. £300 for a club made in China is not my idea of good value.

Reply : Mon 5th Jan 2009 12:16

I can't say from experience John whether they work as the only 'assistance' I have ever taken is by using cavity backs and replacing my 3 iron with a hybrid (though the 3 iron sometimes goes in the bag as well instead of the 5 wood).  I believe in getting a set of clubs that I like the look and feel of and that I feel are right for me, regardless of brand. 

I can only assume that as they continue to produce these items they must work or word will get around before long and no-one will bother.  Either that or it's all in the buyer's mind.......

user52922
Reply : Mon 5th Jan 2009 12:28

JP, I hope you would agree with me that a slice is caused by an out to in swing plane.

If, as you say the face is open at impact then a slice will be the result, but most players who swing with an out to in plane usually manage to get the clubface square at impact resulting in a slice flight path but finishing down the fairway, so those players who manage this would be pulling the ball well left if they used an offset.

There is no place in golf for clubs made to correct faults in golf swings. Progress will never be made doing this.

user129155
Reply : Mon 5th Jan 2009 12:40

I used to have a draw bias driver, but through lessons I worked on getting the face square at impact and am much better off for it.

user52922
Reply : Mon 5th Jan 2009 13:49

Stephen, your scores are reflecting this. Good instructionand your keenness should hopefully bring you the results you are looking for.

user77012
Reply : Mon 5th Jan 2009 22:18
user50843
Reply : Mon 5th Jan 2009 22:23

Can't see what all the fuss is about offset driver, how many of us play with offset irons?

user52922
Reply : Sun 11th Jan 2009 14:54

Alex, any advice I give on this forum is done only with the intention of attempting to help players, especially beginners like you, to realise that this game is one built around skill and not the quality of the equipment.

If you wish to progress from your current standard of 130 then you would do well to heed the advice of players who have had a lifetime in this game and have realised that only a sound method will achieve ones dreams.

Personally it is of no interest to me whether you improve or not, it is also of no interest to me if you find that advice, freeely given, is something you feel qualified to comment on.

user52922
Reply : Wed 14th Jan 2009 17:16

No Alex, I am not offended at all, far too thick skinned for that. What you spend on your clubs is also irrelevant, as it is your swing that determines whether or not you can hit a good shot.

A little story for you. I took my next door neighbours little girl aged 9 down to the driving range as she was keen to have a go. I borrowed one of those cut down clubs they do for juniiors, a nine iron. I had a go with it crouched over the ball and then proceeded to hit it further than my own nine iron and with a beautiful shape. Obviously the shaft suited me fine being an old tart.

Nothing to do with th clubs it is all down to the operator.

user78137
Reply : Wed 14th Jan 2009 21:48

JUST A THOUGHT MATE!

I USED TO SLICE TERRIBLY, I TRIED LESSONS AND JUST ABOUT EVERYTHING. I THEN WENT TO A GOLF SHOP WITH A LASER SET UP SCREEN.  THEY WATCHED ME HIT BALLS WITH LOTS OF DRIVERS, SOME EXPENSIVE, SOME NOT SO!  IT CHANGE DMY GAME, I WENT FROM BIG SLICE AROUND 220 YDS MAX TO SOMETIMES 300YDS ON A GOOD DAY.  MAINLY STRAIGHT, OR THOUGH I WOULD CONFESS TO THE ODD BAD ON. TRY IT OUT IT IN MY OPINION IT IS FAR EASIER THAN TOYING WITH YOUR SWING TOO MUCH IF YOU HIT IRONS OK.

user52922
Reply : Mon 9th Feb 2009 12:52

Golfers have been choking down on clubs for as long as the game has been played. Nothing new there.

user52922
Reply : Mon 9th Feb 2009 13:24

Lee, for a professional to be able to find no fault in your swing with your handicap tells me that the Pro just does not know what he is talking about. We all have faults in our swing, yes, even Tiger Woods.

Choking down the shaft gives added control but will not cure anything.

Reply : Mon 9th Feb 2009 13:52

If you were slicing your drives but choking down on your driver has stopped/reduced it, I would suggest that the problem you had was getting the head square at the bottom of the swing.  The shorter the shaft, the quicker the head squares - that's why shorter clubs are played further back in the stance.  I recommend working on getting your hands through (turning your wrists) as this is likely to help.  Try a powerball, it worked for me. 

user52922
Reply : Mon 9th Feb 2009 14:38

Lee, you stated that the pro could find no fault in your swing, that would mean that you were capable of htting perfect shots all the time, which you are not. because you have said so.

A swing can only be called good if it is on plane throughout the entire swing, the fact that you are slicing tells me that it isn't.

If you are averaging 44 putts per round, which I find very difficult to believe, then perhaps you should be practicing your putting rather than going to a pro who thinks you have the perfect swing.

Last edit : Mon 9th Feb 2009 18:18
user52922
Reply : Mon 9th Feb 2009 15:04

I really cannot believe that Lee. 36 putts (2 per hole) would have given you a gross 79. which puts you in the single figure bracket of ability and single figure golfers usually have only 30 putts per round.

I cannot believe that someone of your obvious ability with a golf club cannot 2 putt a green. Yes we can all have the occasional three putt, but that is usually tempered by a couple of single putts.

user129155
Reply : Mon 9th Feb 2009 18:03

lol.

sounds unlikely that

user52922
Reply : Mon 9th Feb 2009 18:59

Tom, it seems to me that there are too many contradictions in what he says to take him seriously.

user83555
Reply : Tue 10th Feb 2009 21:36

this is one hell of a long thread and I would hate to be one of those guys who says one thing but doesn't practice it himself on the golf course but I will advise because I think it could be of considerable value to many if not always practiced by my good self !

Now listen up. The fix is simple. Put a marking spot on the golf ball  (an X mark will do)  place that mark on the tee at 7 o'clock toward the target line. Then address the ball as normal. Now forget about anything else simply ensure you HIT that spot on the ball to leave an imprint on your golf club face when you look at that golf club face afterwards - forget that you may be hitting towards out of bounds or a hazard or that it feels totally alien to what you are used to - JUST DO IT - and forget about anything else !!

YOU CANNOT POSSIBLY SLICE THE BALL IF YOU DO WHAT I SAY

Last edit : Tue 10th Feb 2009 21:43
user52922
Reply : Wed 11th Feb 2009 09:54

To be fair, Steven, JonnyP has not offered any tips on this topic of offset drivers, he has just said that an offset driver is a negative thing, as it does not cure the basic swing fault, which should be uppermost in the players mind. I agree with him as well.

user129155
Reply : Wed 11th Feb 2009 10:42

I sliced loads of drives on monday :-(

hit the 1st one great then sliced the next 8 then finished off with a few good one's!

I hope my consistency improves for march!

What I dont get is that I can go top the driving range and hit 90% good drives, then I get on the course and its 90% bad drives.  I dont know............

Reply : Wed 11th Feb 2009 15:50

I would suggest that if you only hit one shot with a club on the range then hit a couple of different ones before coming back to it, you'd hit just as many bad ones with your driver on the range as you do on the course.  You also notice it more on the course as you are generally left with an awkward second one afterwards. 

As Paul said, on the range you let the natural swing take over as you are relaxed and not trying to hit it too hard.  I find that when my driver starts to play up I concentrate on the ball/tee instead of my swing and that helps. 

The Forums have now moved to a new version

We have now moved the forum to a new and improved system which provides more functionality plus provides easier access from desktop, tablets and smart phone devices.

Click here to view the new forum & register for free.

Scroll to top