Gear | Tour | Industry Insider

Tuition:

Video Library | Tuition Sections

Community:

Join | Log In | Help | Useful Links

New Forum System - click here to visit our new & improved forum system >>>

Right arm at half way back

Posted by: user85262 | Fri 12th Sep 2008 08:38 | Last Reply

Just wondered anyones thoughts on the right arm position at half way back when left arm is parallel.

Ive never thought much about it before but was watching a David Leadbetter tip saying that at that the point the Right Arm is supposed to be above the left  (right handed golfer)  - Mine isnt, the left arm is a few inches above the right at that point.

Just watched a few slow motion Swing visions as well and all the pro's seem to have the right arm higherat that point.

Ive not tried it yet with a ball there but in a practise swing to me it feels really weird to have the right arm higher than the left  at that point but certainly does have a feeling of more power.

Off to the range tonight to try it out anyway.

thanks for any tips

John

re: Right arm at half way back
user24437
Reply : Fri 12th Sep 2008 09:41

JP - just tried that and it seemed to work!  However, does anyone know where to get some spare parts for a large, ornate chandelier that used to be in our hall?

user33026 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Fri 12th Sep 2008 09:55

LMAO Tim.  Made my day that. 

user85262
Reply : Fri 12th Sep 2008 09:57

Wayne

You are exactly right  - i had a lesson earlier in the week and was told my swing plane was way too flat and to try to have the butt of the club facing just inside the ball on the way back,  mine was way out facing  over the top of the ball.

Anyway,  if I get to the halfway back position with right arm slightly above the left this actually makes sure that the butt of the club is just inside the line and not too flat.

Feels weird still but it always does when you try something different.

Looking forward to trying this at the range later on.

Tim - I think you need Del Boy & Rodney to fix your chandalier!

John

user24437
Reply : Fri 12th Sep 2008 11:03

Just a normal day in the Hawkins household I'm afraid....

user50354
Reply : Fri 12th Sep 2008 15:25

I am going to check this out tonight because as left handed my left arm is below right..

But to get the thing above the right I feel as if I am pulling my arm out of its socket..

Maybe I am missing something

user52922
Reply : Fri 12th Sep 2008 16:18

This, to me is a confusing bit of instruction that will only confuse the average golfer.

Ben Hogan most certainly did not attainthis position on the backswing and I have confirmed it with the video that is on this site. Also Ernie Els does not swing like this. Who on earth is Leadbetter, what did he ever achieve, apart from taking money from Faldo as an advisor and mentor.

To achieve what this is saying means that one has to have two separate planes, and that is not a good idea IMO.

Last edit : Fri 12th Sep 2008 17:15
user85262
Reply : Fri 12th Sep 2008 16:39

John P

Off to the range to try it out anyway, so will post what happens - good or bad!

I have actually watched the swing visions of players such as Els, Woods, Garcia and a few others and if you pause the swing at half way back the right arm is slightly above the left on ALL of these players - not by a lot but it is slightly above (wheras mine, my right arm at that point was a few inches lower.

John

user52922
Reply : Fri 12th Sep 2008 17:16

I would advise against it, John, as to achieve this position it is necessary to have a flying right elbow and only one player to my knowledge was able to do this and still play great golf, none other than the great Jack Nicklaus.

user52922
Reply : Fri 12th Sep 2008 20:36

I have obviously misunderstood what John H was referring to. It was only when I looked at your photos J P showing the golfers from behind that I realised what he meant. It would have to be some sort of contortionist to get into any other position seeing as the right hand is the longer hand on the club. The tilt of the shoulders will always show this.

Your photos also show that each of them is entirely different in their plane, so please tell me why you think this right above left is an important part of the swing, after all is said and done Ben Hogan was a great golfer and only Tiger could ever swing a club like he does, which goes against all regular teaching methods.

Nicklaus always had a flying right elbow, unique to him, but not advised for the normal player. 

I am a great believer in the right elbow being kept close to the body throughout the swing, it was what I learnt when I first started playing, but times have changed of course and a more aggressive swing seems to be the norm.

user24437
Reply : Sat 13th Sep 2008 11:20

Any tips on how this guy can change his swing? Elbows all over the place! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TQCCqGgs_2k

user52922
Reply : Sun 14th Sep 2008 19:08

Not the way I play golf J P. we must get together soon.

user77012
Reply : Tue 16th Sep 2008 19:01

Half way back right wrist above left ,right elbow slightly below left arm,then continue shoulder turn, Right elbow stays under left arm all the way through to impact keeping a bowed left /cupped right wrist.

user52922
Reply : Wed 17th Sep 2008 09:29

That's the way to do it, David. You have explained that well. Leadbetter does not teach that, so you had better get back to the drawing board. lol.

The Forums have now moved to a new version

We have now moved the forum to a new and improved system which provides more functionality plus provides easier access from desktop, tablets and smart phone devices.

Click here to view the new forum & register for free.

Scroll to top