Tuition:

Video Library | Tuition Sections

Community:

Join | Log In | Help | Useful Links

New Forum System - click here to visit our new & improved forum system >>>

HELP!! New golfer - What beginner set should I buy

Posted by: user119090 | Thu 11th Sep 2008 13:40 | Last Reply

Hi guys/girls,

Please can I have some help, I have started playing golf 2 weeks ago and love it!! What a brilliant game! I now want to purchase my own set but don't know where to start, any/all help will be greatly appreciated, i.e. what make of clubs and where to buy!!

Thanks and looking forward to responses,

Mark

Last edit : Thu 11th Sep 2008 13:40
re: HELP!! New golfer - What beginner set should I buy
user24437
Reply : Thu 11th Sep 2008 13:49

Hi mate. 

Just hang around for a bit Mark.  You'll probably be able to get a decent set from one of the posters on here!

user52922
Reply : Thu 11th Sep 2008 13:52

If you are loaded then the world is your oyster, Mark. On the other hand, being a new starter, then a nice secondand set from ebay will be good enough for you.

The most important thing for you to do at this stage is to get a lesson package, one lesson is not enough, mark my words. Anyone who starts this game with the correct basic techniques has a great chance of being a good player, if not then the game will become frustrating for many years to come.

user80414
Reply : Thu 11th Sep 2008 14:57

Mark,

I cant agree more with what John P says, get yourself down to a course or range and get some lessons as if you dont pick up bad habits in the first place then you will save yourself a lot of stress in the future (trust me im living that stress at the moment!). Also it may be a good idea sort this before you commit to buying some clubs as any Pro worth his salt will be able to recomend you a good set and you will start your first lessons only using a 6/7 iron anyways. 

Also worth noting that good second hand set from a reputable manufacturer will serve you better than a "cheaper" set from the likes of Donnay/Slazenger/Dunlop etc. Remember just because they are new and shiny doesnt mean that the your game will be any better!

Most of all, enjoy. 

Cheers

Danny 

Last edit : Thu 11th Sep 2008 15:14
user52922
Reply : Thu 11th Sep 2008 15:37

It is not so long ago, Danny that manufacturers like Slazenger and Dunlop were at the forefront of golf club design and manufacture.

user119090
Reply : Thu 11th Sep 2008 15:45

Thanks for this advice guys,

I have actually been having lessons for the last two weeks pretty solidly and so think I'm ready to get myself a set. Got to be honest though I have no knowledge on what model or makes to go for. Is there anything particular for beginners?

Also do you know where I can find any information on competitions to enter, I feel that's the best way to get good!

thanks

user26537
Reply : Thu 11th Sep 2008 16:06

Ask the pro you are having lessons from, he may be able to get you a deal or give you some guidance in the right direction. 

As a total novice the one this I would recommend is to set youself a budget and stick to it, it is all to easy to spend a fortune on gear that is inappropriate (just need to look in my garage to prove that).

user33026 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Thu 11th Sep 2008 16:13

I wouldn't go for comps yet Mark.  Being on the course is completely different to being with a pro having lessons or out on the range.  You get it wrong in a lesson, the pro tells you what you did and helps you put it right.  You get it wrong on a range and you try again and hit another.  Get it wrong on the course and you need a machete to hack your way through the trees to the ball or end up taking another from five yards further down the fairway.  I would spend some time on the range building some consistency before venturing out. 

I started my lessons in October and didn't go out onto a course until March the following year.  I spent the time on the range and having lessons every two to four weeks and I didn't play in a comp for two years.  Make sure you can walk before you try to run.  Get with some friends who are sympathetic or also just starting when you first go out because it will be pretty demoralising if your playing partners are dropping it six feet from the pin in two and you're taking six or seven to the green. 

With regards to buying clubs, try as many as you can that are within your price range before buying as even a beginner can feel a difference and have a preference.  If you want shiny and new, get a box set as it will have every club you need (plus a few you're not ready for!) and a bag.  I suggest Ram, Hippo or Wilson as decent starter sets that are not overly priced and they do sets from around £120 to £200.  Get yourself to somewhere like American Golf or Nevada Bob's and see what they have.  Just make sure you don't buy based on looks, don't buy from the first place you go and you try, try, try before you buy, preferably on a range. 

user80414
Reply : Thu 11th Sep 2008 18:13

John, i agree that not to long ago they were at the forefront to Ball and club design, unfortunatly you would have to agree that now they seem to be in the business of copying the new main players and are regarded as Cheap at best.

Mark, good start getting the lessions. but Stay away from the comps for a while (untill you feel comfortable on an 18 and shoot in the high 90's or it will a very frustrating experance again this comes from experance!)

With regard to clubs, Depending on your price range, you would most prob be suited to a Oversize cavity back style club (the Wilson Fastshat 3 is a good example) as they are more on the forgiving side and will give you confidence in ball striking. However as Chris said, there is no subsitute to getting down an american golf or the like and trying out their entire range (if your going to spend the money make sure that you are happy with the clubs and that they "fit" you). Also dont think that you have to be buying the Taylormades and Pings of this world as while they are nice to have, a set of wilsons or MD golf clubs might suit you better.

Cheers

Danny

Last edit : Thu 11th Sep 2008 18:15
Reply : Fri 12th Sep 2008 08:15

Some of us are slow starters Santo.  You've been playing much longer than me and you're still rubbish too. 

Reply : Fri 12th Sep 2008 09:47

In theory Santo, in theory.  How often do any of us play to our handicap?

user118394
Reply : Tue 16th Sep 2008 19:58

the clubs i have stuck with from when i 1st started are wilson,they go from the cheap box sets all the way through to the ones padraig won the majors with.

my personal favs are the di7 s these are the ones i use now they are extremely forgiving with the fatshaft and very long.they have helped me reduce my handicap from 21 last year to 12 now.

but i must agree with the other posts try a load of sets till you find some you are comfy with.

also don t bother with a driver get a quality fairway wood a lot easier to hit and not much difference in distance

user113099
Reply : Thu 18th Sep 2008 22:45

hello there i have a set of hippo irons driver putter and bag that i started with there in excellant condition. i now have taylor made r7s so selling them.

The Forums have now moved to a new version

We have now moved the forum to a new and improved system which provides more functionality plus provides easier access from desktop, tablets and smart phone devices.

Click here to view the new forum & register for free.

Scroll to top