Tee Times | Search | Reviews

News:

Gear | Tour | Industry Insider

Tuition:

Video Library | Tuition Sections

Community:

Join | Log In | Help | Useful Links

New Forum System - click here to visit our new & improved forum system >>>

looking to buy a wedge any recomendations?

Posted by: user118328 | Sun 7th Sep 2008 16:19 | Last Reply

im a beginner and my wedge play is rubbish. i have just bought a used set of clubs in an auction for £2. it has 3 wood, 5 wood, 1-8iron, sand wedge and putter. i need to buy a pitching wedge or something for quite cheap any ideas?

i was looking at a fazer B10 soft cast wedge on american golf.

Last edit : Sun 7th Sep 2008 18:03
re: looking to buy a wedge any recomendations?
user48641
Reply : Sat 13th Sep 2008 16:55

hate to agree with wayne (sorry mate couldnt resist lol) but lessons would definately be a good start, but if your really after one theres a few on ebay which u can pick up quite cheap also.

you could always choke down a little on your 8 iron for now i guess - but hey gotta say a set for £2 is a real bargain !! well done.

for anyone else that reads this post - im now using my titleiest vokey spin milled which i got from my trip to the USA for £50 - truely awesome club

Last edit : Sat 13th Sep 2008 17:03
user97691
Reply : Mon 13th Oct 2008 21:31

have to agree, when you are confident, and you must love your wedges (which i try to) then try the vokey wedges

user33026 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Tue 14th Oct 2008 10:20

Always try before you buy.  I tried lots of different wedges and settled on the Cleveland CG14's.  Took a couple of rounds to get used to the distances (mainly becasue they stop instead of releasing like my old ones did) but I love them to bits.  I tried the Vokeys but didn't like them.  I've already served my sentence for heresy for this comment. 

Reply : Wed 15th Oct 2008 21:41

Just didn't like the balance JP.  Felt head heavy and uncomfortable.  Quite liked the Pings at first but went off them when I tried them second time.  Cleveland CG12's were nice.  I was replacing Nike SV's. 

user93950
Reply : Fri 17th Oct 2008 22:17

I tried the Vokeys but didn't like them.  I've already served my sentence for heresy for this comment.

Well, consider this a revokation of your parole.  Back to jail for you.  :-)

I love my Vokey wedges, all 4 of them and two of each now.  The new spin milled kick butt. 

user52922
Reply : Fri 17th Oct 2008 23:42

All wedges, once they have been gotten used to, will kick butt, Michael. All down to personal preference. Myself, I use the ones that came with my set and I have since purchased a separate lob wedge.

user81455
Reply : Wed 22nd Oct 2008 18:09

Buy a decent pitching wedge as you will use it a lot (see recommendations above) but (and I am going to get shot down in flames for suggesting this) get a dunlop lob wedge from sports world for under a tenner and use it to practice with till you get the hang of it.  I've had mine for 18 months and am still using it but will upgrade soon as I'm using it alot.  However it is not worth paying out for a state of the art lob wedge if you are going to be using the edge of it 50% of the time initially.

Reply : Wed 22nd Oct 2008 22:23

That's a good call Jon.  We sometimes forget that beginners have yet to fall into the "better gear will make me a better golfer" trap.  And it's not an expensive club to throw in the garage when you do (inevitably) upgrade. 

The Forums have now moved to a new version

We have now moved the forum to a new and improved system which provides more functionality plus provides easier access from desktop, tablets and smart phone devices.

Click here to view the new forum & register for free.

Scroll to top