Gear | Tour | Industry Insider

Tuition:

Video Library | Tuition Sections

Community:

Join | Log In | Help | Useful Links

New Forum System - click here to visit our new & improved forum system >>>

Teeing on Short Par 3s

Posted by: user81455 | Sat 6th Sep 2008 00:17 | Last Reply

I have recently stopped using a tee peg when teeing off on short par 3s.  I have found that when hitting off the grass I am much less prone to pulling the ball and generally get a cleaner contact.  Anyone else had this experience?

re: Teeing on Short Par 3s
user25349
Reply : Sat 6th Sep 2008 10:02

I find that I pull the ball too on par 3's if playing an iron off the tee.  I'm ok if I have to use a 5 wood though.  Also, if I use an iron of a par 4/5, I also hit it from the deck.

I don't understand why when the ball is tee'd up, I feel the need to try and hit the ball as supposed to 'sweeping' it off the tee.

Very frustrating!!

user50354
Reply : Mon 15th Sep 2008 16:49

Little orange castle tee for me...

Works a treat...

user52922
Reply : Sun 11th Jan 2009 16:53

On the new modern courses the tees are not conducive to taking the ball without a tee as they are not, what I would call turf.

All the older courses I just drop the ball on the tee. as I fnd that is how I have to play iron shots when on the fairway, so why alter something that one is used to.

I hate tee shots anyway, so I don't suppose it matters.

user23840
Reply : Sun 11th Jan 2009 19:18

Agree with you there Jonny. I think I remember Padrhaig Harrington saying something similar in a golf mag once.

user81455
Reply : Sun 11th Jan 2009 21:26

I must admit that since starting this thread I have now taken up Neil's idea and do use a broken tee pushed right in just to give the ball a little lift as I found it hard to hit the ball off the grass tees in the recent frozen weather.  May go back to no tee when the weather improves.

user20126 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Mon 12th Jan 2009 09:23

I think it is a matter of personal preference about using a tee on a par three hole.

The orange castle tee is the one for me, or if the grass is fluffy then I will just place the ball on that, but either way the ball is the same distance from the floor.

Just lately I've been using the tops of wooden tees that have been left on the tee.

The reason I like the castle tees is that I know they are putting the ball the same distance from the ground on each time I use them.

Russ

user129155
Reply : Tue 13th Jan 2009 12:50

I always used to play off the floor but now push a small tee right down so its a few mm off the floor.

user99350
Reply : Tue 13th Jan 2009 13:30

I agree with Jony P: the opportunity of connecting with the ball then turf should not be missed. I find it gives more control and you can concentrate more on the shot in hand.

user52922
Reply : Tue 13th Jan 2009 13:49

There is the same opportunity to connect with the ball then the turf  presented by playing off the grass alone, after all we have to do it on the fairway. raising a ball 2/5 mm will not guarantee control, only your good swing can do that.

user26342
Reply : Tue 13th Jan 2009 14:16

I think it might be a visual thing, this is why I try not to pick & place in the winter as when the spring comes & I don't get a nice lie on the fairway it doesn't mess with my head.

user52922
Reply : Tue 13th Jan 2009 14:18

One places the ball on the tee with ones hand and takes it out of the hole with ones hand. In between it should never be touched. Follow this rule and one can never get in bother with the rules.

user26342
Reply : Tue 13th Jan 2009 14:20

John,

I agree, it can get a bit confusing if somebody else's hands start touching your balls

John.

user52922
Reply : Tue 13th Jan 2009 14:21

hahahaha

user99350
Reply : Tue 13th Jan 2009 22:44

John, you're right, the swing is the same but I seem to approach the shot off the tee with more confidence so it may be a psychological thing.

user52922
Reply : Tue 13th Jan 2009 22:58

Patrick, you know as well as I do that confidence is one the most important parts of this game. Myself, I just do not like hitting an iron off a tee peg, why, I don't know, must be all in the head.

user77012
Reply : Wed 14th Jan 2009 00:04

Its because we know different John, I only use a tee for the driver I normally just tap my club in the ground to make a tuft as I like to hit down and compress the ball. My advise for the higher Hcp definately use a tee peg it just helps your confidence but still try and hit into the ball.

I was watching Angle Cabrerra at Wentworth and I loved watching him just drop his ball on the 17th tee and cruch his 3 wood around the corner with astunning low draw,I don't think I will ever forget the thwack (technical jargon) as he hit the ball.

user52922
Reply : Wed 14th Jan 2009 09:02

Yes David I do tap the ground myself as you will have probably noticed. When I lived in Spain, I used to just drop the ball on the tee for a driver, they were so springy. But, then, in those days I could hit a driver of the floor.

user77012
Reply : Wed 14th Jan 2009 12:53

John , Mr flood /PW & Tim can confirm this I actually hit my driver off the deck on 17 at the PGA to drill it low under the wind,led to a birdie. Unfortunately it didn't work on 18 hit to low on the face.

The Forums have now moved to a new version

We have now moved the forum to a new and improved system which provides more functionality plus provides easier access from desktop, tablets and smart phone devices.

Click here to view the new forum & register for free.

Scroll to top