Tuition:

Video Library | Tuition Sections

Community:

Join | Log In | Help | Useful Links

New Forum System - click here to visit our new & improved forum system >>>

Driver for a new player

Posted by: user115739 | Fri 5th Sep 2008 18:58 | Last Reply

Hello,

I'm after some advise with regards to buying my first driver. I have recently taken up golf and the bug is now really starting to bite.

At present, all I have in my bag is a set of irons 4-SW and my not so trusty putter. My original thought was to start of with my irons, build my swing and consistancy and then worry about a Driver. However, I am thinking that really I should be developing all areas of my game whilst I am learning (so not to get too set in my ways), and hence the need to start looking for a driver.

Has anyone got any advice on a driver that is suitable for a beginner.

Many thanks in advance,

James

re: Driver for a new player
user81455
Reply : Fri 5th Sep 2008 23:36

James, I like you started with nothing bigger than a four iron in my bag.  I then bought a driving iron, then a five wood, then a three wood and finally a driver.  I would suggest you do the same but get a hybrid iron instead of the driving iron as they are a little easier to launch off the tee and you can use them for long fairway shots.

user24437
Reply : Fri 5th Sep 2008 23:43

For what it's worth these are my thoughts.  Don't get fixated with a driver, in my experience both in using one and watching other people using them, they aren't the b all and end all of golf.  They're possibly the most difficult of all the clubs to master, the most expensive and arguably the least useful for a high handicapper.  Add to this the tendency to completely brain out and go for the 300 yarder everytime off the tee results in lost balls and shots.  If you can't hit one it doesn't matter how expensive and high tech it is, it ain't gonna work.

If you want a bit more distance I'd go for a 3 wood and a hybrid (either a 21 or 18 deg).  If you can run to a 5 wood all the better.  The 3 is good off the tee if you don't tee it up too high and I love hitting mine off the fairway.  My 21 deg hybrid hits 185yds on the nose from fairway or light rough but is useless off the tee.  The 5 wood is a good choice between the two.  OK, I have got a driver, but it's taken a few years to get used too and is still not particularly reliable.

As to what to buy, how long is a piece of string?  My 3 wood and hybrid are both MD's with prolaunch shafts, very underated in my opinion.  The driver and 5 woods are both old Ben Hogan's with Aldila shafts (I've got a 3 wood Ben Hogan but don't like it!). 

user81455
Reply : Sat 6th Sep 2008 00:12

Good point Tim.  I should have added to my post that although I did get a driver at the end of my progression I have reverted back to teeing off with a three wood.  I find the extra distance gained with the driver is not worth the lack of accuracy.

I think the tip about teeing low is useful too for woods or hybrids.

user33026 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Sat 6th Sep 2008 12:49

The advice above is pretty good in my opinion.  A 3 and 5 wood will do everything you need except get you an additional 30 yards off the tee, but the trade for the extra accuracy is a good one.  You can also use them off the fairway as they are much more versatile.  If Tiger Woods can win the open withot using a driver, then that's good enough for me! 

If you really do want to add one to your bag, have a look at Today's Golfer to see what they rate within your price range.  Then take all the ones highly rated within your that range and try them all.  Just because TG (or the pro giving you lessons or your mate or the spotty oik in the shop or one of us on here) say it is the best one doesn't mean it will suit you.  All clubs are very personal and only by trying as many as you can will you find the best one for you.  When you have a few favourites, try different lofts and shaft flexes to get the best possible combination. 

The Forums have now moved to a new version

We have now moved the forum to a new and improved system which provides more functionality plus provides easier access from desktop, tablets and smart phone devices.

Click here to view the new forum & register for free.

Scroll to top