Gear | Tour | Industry Insider

Tuition:

Video Library | Tuition Sections

Community:

Join | Log In | Help | Useful Links

New Forum System - click here to visit our new & improved forum system >>>

Using my wrists correctly thoughts please

Posted by: user93503 | Mon 25th Aug 2008 13:49 | Last Reply

Lo all, I am failing to improve at all despite having tried quite a few lessons and practicing hard several days a week for a year. Practice includes range short game and plenty of on course. I honestly do work hard at what im told as I whole heartedly want to improve. I have had to ask myself serious questions am I really just unable to ever play a decent game of golf TBH am I wasting my time.

I should mention I play right handed for the sake of the explanation below (I am actually left handed though in life).   

Theres no easy way to say it but I dont think my lessons with the pro have had any positive effect at all. I'm not saying is his fault but clearly he and I doesnt = better golfer. Would another pro likely suit me better , I suppose most will say just try but im wondering if anyomne has had a similar experience and gotten a better result by changing. Having spent hundreds of pounds on lessons with zero improvement isnt too heartening.

My driving has turned from a hook to a massive fade/slice as my swing has

' improved' , out of desperation the other day I went to a range and tried some things as you do. I looked at what I was doing and it was obvious that it wasnt my swing path and I just dont straighten the club head on 'returning to the ball' no matter how 'strong' I try and grip.

I thought I'd try and release my wrist which I find almost impossible and as im messing with it I found that where as I was trying to wrap my right wrist over the top before the strike ( to straighten the face) , instead I tried using my left wrist I.E pointing my knuckles down on my left hand before impact. Presato, I can even hit a draw doing this ( impossible before) and definately cannot fade or slice whilst doing it. I have also tried a little of this with my irons and it too seems positive I.E stops shots leaking off to the right ( they dont slice they just fade with my irons).

My questions to my peers are  :P

1) Do you use your left wrist as the 'straightening lead' , I.E have I actually hit on something I should have always been doing rather than wrapping the right one over.

2) Should the pro not have advised/spotted this , he has videod me about ten times.

3)  Any tips or drills to make me use my wrists correctly.

Cheers  Mas

re: Using my wrists correctly thoughts please
user52922
Reply : Mon 25th Aug 2008 15:06

Well Mas Tiff, I feel you have explained your problems pretty well, so I will give you my input.

First of all I would like you think of the position you are in when you address the ball as this is the eventual position at impact except that the weight has been transferrd to the left foot and the hips are beginning to turn out of the way, whilst maintaining the angle of the wrists for as long as possible throught impact. By using your left hand as a guide in keeping the clubface square, you have hit upon a very important aspect of the swing.

I have no doubt there are some pros who might be interested in improving your golf, but IMO there are not too many. Money is their only motivation when they are giving lessons and the majority have no record of being skilled enough in playing, let alone teaching.

This wrapping the wrist over will only produce one kind of shot and that is a quick hook or a smother. In actual fact if the ball is struck correctly, the wrist does not roll over the left until way into the follow through and this is a natural occurrence.

Golf is a game of accuracy and it is imperative that one knows where the ball is going. To achieve this more consistently then a sound method must be employed.

Tips and drills, there are many, but myself I have always kept it simple as I have been a lazy one for practice. I usually only hit wedges if at the range and I start using one hand only, my right. To hold the club with one hand at the top of the backswing it must be set correctly with the right hand under ther shaft or one will find it impossible to hold it up, unless of course you are a gorilla. I have always been an advocate of the clubface being open at the top of the swing and closing it naturally by the time of impact.

I usually do this exercise by placing the range bucket opposite me at address and about two inches behind the ball. If you start hitting the bucket then your plane needs radical attention.

Last edit : Tue 26th Aug 2008 14:42
user52922
Reply : Mon 25th Aug 2008 19:52

I am sure that I could put you on the right track with just one round with me. I know how to play this game, just that now at 71 years old I am unable to do what my brain is telling the body to do. hence my high handicap.

I enjoy seeing people improve and hit good shots and quite honestly there is no secret to it, anyone can do it.

Unfortunately without the correct method in the first place then practice is a waste of time as all one is doing is practising crap.

When I joined my club in Somerset there were only three single figure handicap golfers, including myself and when I left 16 years later we had 40 players in single figures. All down to my efforts.

Already at my new club I am looking after about five players, two of which are single figures now, one who has come down from 28 to 18 in the past three months since I have taken him under my wing.

I just love to see everybody play nice golf.

Last edit : Tue 26th Aug 2008 14:13
user52922
Reply : Tue 26th Aug 2008 14:50

Stuart, I see that that your scoring has slipped as of late, which tells me that you are falling back into bad habits. Remember the day you played at Sherfield with me and try and remember how you felt when striking the ball, because, as you know, you hit more than your fair share of beautifully struck irons.

If I played with you regularly then this would not happen, but we are too far apart for this to be a reality. Get yourself down to South Winchester with the boys and I will check out what you are currently doing.

What we think we are doing and what we are actually doing are completely different things and it is only an outside observer, who understands the mechanics of a golf swing who is able to see the problems and offer the correct solution.

The proof of the pudding was really shown that day with your exceptional 78. 

Last edit : Tue 26th Aug 2008 14:53
user52922
Reply : Tue 26th Aug 2008 15:32

Wayne, If you are moving down then perhaps you could get close to David, as he is so alone out in the sticks. We could also do with a splash of colour to brighten up our days.

Sorry to hear about your wrist, Stuart, that obviously accounts for the scores. I am just hoping that my knee will be repaired buy the time South Winchester comes around. 

user52922
Reply : Tue 26th Aug 2008 16:26

Hi David, I am probably more guilty than you when it comes to swinging too fast. I never used to, but with a restricted backswing now I always feel that I just don't have enough time and the result is just a fast slash at the ball. Strange that this only occurs with my woods.

Even when I am told about it I struggle to slow it down. 

The Forums have now moved to a new version

We have now moved the forum to a new and improved system which provides more functionality plus provides easier access from desktop, tablets and smart phone devices.

Click here to view the new forum & register for free.

Scroll to top