Gear | Tour | Industry Insider

Tuition:

Video Library | Tuition Sections

Community:

Join | Log In | Help | Useful Links

New Forum System - click here to visit our new & improved forum system >>>

Is this illegal?

Posted by: user24437 | Wed 6th Aug 2008 13:02 | Last Reply

Had a game with my brother the other day and he has suffered from the same swing faults as me for years, he tends to fall back when hitting iron shots induced a slice.  He then showed me a trick which helped him to stop doing it and I was wondering if it was legal to do this in a game.  Basically he put a spare ball down on the tee and stood on it with his right heel - I tried it and the slice magically disappeared!  He doesn't need to do it anymore but it worked for me - but is it legal to do it?

re: Is this illegal?
user24437
Reply : Wed 6th Aug 2008 14:10

No, it's illegal or no, it isn't?  If it's illegal, what rule is it breaking?  If I took my shoe off and put half a ball in it would this be the same?

Apart from the limp of course....

Last edit : Wed 6th Aug 2008 14:11
user24437
Reply : Wed 6th Aug 2008 14:43

The title of the post is 'is it illegal' you silly old duffer.

Presumably the ball could be deemed as using a piece of equipment in an unusual manner.  So does this mean that I can't use my putter left handed to chip out from under a bush or use a 3 wood to putt from the edge of the green?

I think I may have a case for using a ball as a legitimate device for alleviating a medical condition - i.e. my useless hand eye co-ordination prevents me from playing golf properly!

user24437
Reply : Wed 6th Aug 2008 15:15

And theirin lies my point, oh ancient one.  If everyone turned up with a half a golfball stuck to the inside of their right shoe it couldn't be deemed to be unusual - in much the same way as the first person who used a 3 wood as a putter should have been disqualified until the practice was deemed to be commonplace.

As for medical conditions, my brother and I both suffer from the same swing faults for different reasons - he has one leg an inch shorter than the other and my left collar bone is an inch shorter (and before you start on about us being from Essex and inbreeding it's because of motorcycle accidents) so we could legitimately have built up right shoes to correct conditions - it's just that half a golf ball is cheaper ('cos we could share one!)

user24437
Reply : Wed 6th Aug 2008 17:14

What if I accidentally trod on a large stone?

user77012
Reply : Wed 6th Aug 2008 18:43

The sooner we get a Moderator the better.............The decorum on this site is ####ing DIABOLICAL!!!!!

user24437
Reply : Wed 6th Aug 2008 18:56

I've decided to dress like a pirate for the Golfshake Open, no-one will notice then

user24437
Reply : Thu 7th Aug 2008 09:41

I'll set 'em up Wayne, you hit 'em!

user24437
Reply : Thu 7th Aug 2008 12:39

Just been over the driving range and have found an alternative that seems to work just as well.  Hardly sliced any but now have a tendency to pull them a bit left, think that has more to do with the shoulder width and rubbish aiming.  All seem to be going straight though, even the driver.  Result. 

The Forums have now moved to a new version

We have now moved the forum to a new and improved system which provides more functionality plus provides easier access from desktop, tablets and smart phone devices.

Click here to view the new forum & register for free.

Scroll to top