Gear | Tour | Industry Insider

Tuition:

Video Library | Tuition Sections

Community:

Join | Log In | Help | Useful Links

New Forum System - click here to visit our new & improved forum system >>>

Practice

Posted by: user86507 | Wed 23rd Jul 2008 16:22 | Last Reply

With it being the school holidays, i have alot of time to play and practice. I am serious about reducing my handicap and will be practicing alot.

What are the best ways of practicing:

• Putting
  • Chipping/Pitching
  • Iron play
  • driving

I'm looking for methods of practice/games to help me improve. Thanks.

re: Practice
user33026 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Fri 25th Jul 2008 11:23

I use the range at the Forest of Arden whenever I can as there is a very good practice area outside.  It is based around a standard sized green with half a dozen or so pins with about 30 yards of fairway approach leading into it at one end.  There's a large bunker at either side with varying lip heights and steepness and the rest is surrounded by three different cut lengths up to 20 yards out. 

When I'm there, I take 45 balls out.  I play 10 from various places in one of the bunkers, 20 from the fairway approach from three distances (short, medium and long) and the remaining 15 split between the three different cuts at differing distances.  All are to the same pin.  I then put the basket down on it's side about 4 or 5 feet from one of the most extreme balls and putt all of them to the basket, aiming to get them in.  If I was rubbish in one particular area, I'll do some extra work on it.  When I'm done, I take the 45 balls on the range and work my irons and driver. 

re: Practice
user20126 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Mon 1st Sep 2008 13:22

Improving your short game will always help you to lower your handicap.

Two good things to have in a golf game are to hit the ball straight and have a great short game.

If you can get your drives onto the fairway your are well on your way to having a good round. Now think about your second/third shot to the green. If you manage to get your ball from the fairway onto the green, then all you have to do is putt!

But what if your second/third shot misses the green, well this is where your short game comes into play. If you can get up and down in two shots from just off the green you will be a very good player.

So my thoughts on practice is to concentrate 50/50 on your putting and chipping. Then every so often hit a few drives/long irons to keep your swing going.

Good luck with your work.

Russ

Last edit : Mon 1st Sep 2008 13:23

The Forums have now moved to a new version

We have now moved the forum to a new and improved system which provides more functionality plus provides easier access from desktop, tablets and smart phone devices.

Click here to view the new forum & register for free.

Scroll to top