Gear | Tour | Industry Insider

Tuition:

Video Library | Tuition Sections

Community:

Join | Log In | Help | Useful Links

New Forum System - click here to visit our new & improved forum system >>>

Fairway woods and utility clubs

Posted by: user87185 | Mon 21st Jul 2008 22:02 | Last Reply

Looking for some advice on the best fairway woods and utility clubs to buy. I need a 3 wood and 5 wood. I am looking for some utility clubs to replace the 3 and 4 iron that I currently have as I can't get on with them at all. I have a cheap old 5 wood that I bought for a tenner from Nevada Bobs a few years ago and it has served me well so far. I much prefer the feel of the woods and utility clubs to the long irons and I hit them a lot better.

All advice welcomed.

Last edit : Mon 21st Jul 2008 22:02
re: Fairway woods and utility clubs
user33026 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Mon 21st Jul 2008 22:33

I have the Nike Sumo 3 and 5 wood and I love them to bits.  Favourite clubs in the bag and feel really confident with them.  I'd rather choke down on my 5 wood than get my 4 iron out.  Can hit them from all lies and off the tee.  Wouldn't even try my old fairway woods from anywhere but the tee. 

As regards utilities, I've been looking recently and tried a good few.  Recommend the Cobra Baffler or the TaylorMade Burner (my preferred).  Try Direct Golf as they have a sale on at the moment and you can pick up 2 Burners for £170 

user24437
Reply : Tue 22nd Jul 2008 00:14

Same advice as usual from me I'm afraid - try the MD's.  I've got a Superstrong 3 wood and a 21 deg rescue both with the Prolaunch shafts.  Top quality kit and reasonably priced.

user26342
Reply : Wed 23rd Jul 2008 09:11

I've got the 23' Mizuno Fli Hi CLK which is just fantastic from anywhere & the 19' Taylormade Burner which is also fantastic. These clubs get the ball up & out of rough quicker than you can say FOREEEEEEEEEE.

John.

user93950
Reply : Thu 24th Jul 2008 20:16

I have Callaway fairway woods from the 3 all the way to a 13 wood.  I've basically thrown away my irons except for the wedges.  Just bought a Callaway X utility club and that is the club I use from the second cut on all of my normal 3 wood shots.

user52922
Reply : Thu 24th Jul 2008 20:45

I recently purchased the Taylor Made 19 deg Rescue club and I'm afraid I have had to consign it to the section of unwanted clubs. It is the first rescue club that I have tried and quite honestly it does not suit my game one little bit. Every time I have used it I have needed to be rescued from some awful position.

Also, I cannot really see where it comes in handy, as it does not have any advantages over my long irons and also, does not go as far.

Now trying a five wood but am not too hopeful.

user33026 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Thu 24th Jul 2008 22:10

Surprising that John.  That's the utility I preferred.  I agree that for better players such as yourself can get much more out of using irons though.  The 5 wood should be a different matter though

The Forums have now moved to a new version

We have now moved the forum to a new and improved system which provides more functionality plus provides easier access from desktop, tablets and smart phone devices.

Click here to view the new forum & register for free.

Scroll to top