Gear | Tour | Industry Insider

Tuition:

Video Library | Tuition Sections

Community:

Join | Log In | Help | Useful Links

New Forum System - click here to visit our new & improved forum system >>>

Sandy Lyle.... Shocking behaviour.

Posted by: user80414 | Thu 17th Jul 2008 13:35 | Last Reply

Anyone else think that Sandy Lyle was out or order walking off after the 1st 9 holes of the open?

I dont care how much or a mare your having, as a profesional he should have sucked it up and finsihed the round, and appeared for the second 2moro. I honestly think that its shocking behaviour. The only time a pro should not finish a round is if he's picked up an injury. What kind of message does that send out? "if its not going well for you its ok to storm off!"

rant over

re: Sandy Lyle.... Shocking behaviour.
user52922
Reply : Thu 17th Jul 2008 14:18

I agree, Danny,  he got in because he is a past winner, thus depriving an up and coming newcomer a start, someone like Rory McIlroy, who proved himself last year as an amateur.

user80414
Reply : Thu 17th Jul 2008 14:38

John,

Thats a very good point that I hadnt even taken that into account. That makes his actions even worse really. 

user33026 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Thu 17th Jul 2008 14:51

There have been times when I have felt like giving up but all you need is that one good hole and everything changes.  If Sandy had accepted a bad start and parred the back 9, he wouldn't have been too far out of contention and a decent second day would've seen him make the cut.  I've only ever once walked off, and that was because it was raining so hard I could only see 100 yards.  Five minutes later it started thundering anyway. 

Never give up, never give in.  It's not the course that beats you, it's you beating yourself. 

user80414
Reply : Thu 17th Jul 2008 14:56

Aparently he hit a couple of duff shots and hurt his fingers (havent we all), but still not a reason to bail out.

I wonder if he will still get his apearance fee? 

Reply : Thu 17th Jul 2008 15:39

Good shout on exemptions Chris.  I think if they miss an agreed number of consecutive cuts then they have to requalify.  The number of cuts required should depend on the championship though.  The other option is to increase the field. 

user80414
Reply : Thu 17th Jul 2008 16:46

Thats not a bad idea, or if like all the other tour players they had to be ranked at a certain level before qualification. (not the same as the tour qualifying, but in the top 200 say)

user81455
Reply : Thu 17th Jul 2008 18:32

I think Danny's idea that past single winners should have to be in the top 200 current players to get an exemption.  It was even more ridiculous at the Masters where a good percentage of the smaller field is made up of past champions that had no chance of winning.

However I would give a lifetime exemption for players that have won a Major multiple times.  It is brilliant to see the true greats continuing to play like Nicklaus, Player and Palmer.  I'm sure Tiger's swing will still be worth watching in 30 years time.

user50843
Reply : Thu 17th Jul 2008 21:49

user95306
Reply : Fri 18th Jul 2008 22:50

Going slightly off topic but i was at the practice day on wednesday and had the pleasure of being with in ear sgot of the great white himself, and to say i was a little disappointed is a understatement!  ebing a 30 yr old i have grown up on the great man himself so asked him if he would sign my programme( something that a number of top pros had done that day!) to which he gently pushed me away! fair do's i thought until the 9 yr old asked him to sign his cap, this he did but carried on storming up the fairway and then turned around and threw it to the ground some 10 ft inside the roped off courdon!

and on a side note i think Mr Lyle was bang out of order! planty of up and coming youngsters worthy of a spot and also some of the Ryder cup heros who missed out in the last few weeks qaulifiers!!

user52922
Reply : Sat 19th Jul 2008 09:03

Young Marc, you appear to be a very good player for one of your age, but please do not make the mistake of thinking that what the Pros do would be acceptable in any open amateur event, which I will magine is what you are aspiring to play in the future  once your handicap is down to a level that will enable you to enter.

How your playing partners are playing is of no consequence, or shouldn't be to you, if you are concentrating on your own game.

user52922
Reply : Sat 19th Jul 2008 16:14

There is a very big difference between deciding to pack it in when you are playing a friendly fourball in lousy conditions and being in a competition, where packing it in, is most definitely frowned upon.

Personally I have never retired from a game ,even though there have been many occasions, far worse than what we are seeing at Birkdale, when I would have liked to, late Mar/early April at Westward Ho/Saunton for the West of England Open Amateur Strokeplay, when the rain and wind is unbearable. No fun playing a round on the Saturday morning, soaked through to the skin, knowing that you have to go out again in the afternoon to do it all again. If the weeather stays the same over the weekend it all has to be done again on the Sunday.

Amateurs also do not have the luxury of a caddie to keep the clubs dry and look after their man like the Pros.

Reply : Sat 19th Jul 2008 19:33

A colleague in the US, who has been playing for 25 years, is too stubborn to quit.  Last year, during he describe as "ana absolute stinker" , he stepped up to the par 3 15th, hit it and turned an walked away.  A couple of seconds later a huge shout went up from his playing partners as the only hole in one of his golfing career went in. 

His biggest regret is not seeing it go in, but he maintains that no matter how bad your round is going, you are only one good shot away from magic and therefore you should never give up. 

user83555
Reply : Sat 19th Jul 2008 21:28

He quit !

Sportspersons should never quit

remember that runner who's father helped his son cross the line with his pulled muscle

we should all send Sandy a copy of that - and he would be ashamed to ever compete in a  high profile competition ever again !

what do you think John Pettitt who I haven't conversed with for some time ?

user52922
Reply : Sun 20th Jul 2008 10:28

If you believe that, Marc, you are most certainly showing your youth. Gullible springs to mind. Let us all hope that he never gets the captaincy of the Ryder Cup team, can't having him leaving the team when things are not going his way.

user52922
Reply : Sun 20th Jul 2008 12:30

I beg your pardon, you little upstart with very little knowledge of this game and its traditions. Being a Scot I can appreciate you supporting Sandy, as we all did when he won the masters.

I spend most of my time these days playing out of thick rough so please don't try to tell me that a professional player with more expertise than me does not know how to play these shots without injuring themselves.

You have missed the point completely because you don't like to see a fellow countryman being derided for a schoolboy error of judgement. He was granted an exemption because he is no longer good enough to qualify and then dropped out, not because of an injury (That was the excuse) but because he was playing like a handicap golfer and his pride was going to be severely dented.

Referring to the discussion between the Chief Exec and Mr Lyle by letter and by phone and then stating what Dawson said, you are once again forgetting what Dawson said when this incident happened and he was not a happy bunny. The fact that he decided to let it go does not make it right.

Sandy Lyle has indeed been a great player over the years and we have all enjoyed his victories, but I am afraid I am from a school that believes  certain traditions should be maintained and to walk off after being granted an exemption tells me that he is only thinking of himself, and that kind of attitude is not what we would expect from a Captain of our Ryder Cup side.

I would choose Colin Montomerie because of his record as a player, his record in the Ryder Cup itself and his passion.

You will need to change your attitude if you are thinking of progressing in this wonderful game or you will fall by the wayside.

I am not alone in thinking this way about his surrender.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/othersports/article-1036100/No-excuses-quitter-Sandy-Padraig-shows-spirit.htm
l

Last edit : Sun 20th Jul 2008 19:03
user26342
Reply : Mon 21st Jul 2008 14:26

Padraig had an injured wrist & he never gave up, looked what happened to him!!

I think for Sandy to give up after 9 holes was a bit premature, especially in the Open where anything over par would make the cut. Even being +11 after 9 he surely could have produced something to get it a bit more respectable.

I was at the Belfry last Thursday & I met Paul McGinley who was there for some coaching. I bet he wished that Sandy had pulled out before the start & given him more of a chance.

I remember once watching Tiger play & in between shots he was being sick (& it was raining etc), but he never gave up & I'm sure he won the event in the end?

John.

user52922
Reply : Tue 22nd Jul 2008 10:37

If he had only been one or two over par he would not have quit.

The Forums have now moved to a new version

We have now moved the forum to a new and improved system which provides more functionality plus provides easier access from desktop, tablets and smart phone devices.

Click here to view the new forum & register for free.

Scroll to top