Gear | Tour | Industry Insider

Tuition:

Video Library | Tuition Sections

Community:

Join | Log In | Help | Useful Links

New Forum System - click here to visit our new & improved forum system >>>

Out of bounds question

Posted by: user79613 | Mon 14th Jul 2008 12:59 | Last Reply

Please bear with me while I explain this.

The 17th hole at Palacerigg Golf Club has a burn that runs across the width of the hole, there is out of bounds on the right. A players tee shot goes out of bounds, lands in the burn and the flow of the watter carries it back inbounds and inline with the middle of the fairway.

Penalty shot from the burns means he needs to take it back to the point of entry (out of bounds) under the water hazzard rule.  But, can he play it from where it has stopped ? Meaning it's back in play ? Also, could he decalre it "unplayable" and take a penalty and drop it back on the fairway, no nearer to the hole ?

Views anyone ??

Stevie

re: Out of bounds question
user33026 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Mon 14th Jul 2008 13:47

I believe that the rule on out of bounds states (paraphrasing) "If a ball comes to rest....".  As his ball came to rest in the burn inside the line of the out of bounds stakes, then it is not out of bounds. 

My view would be to declare it unplayable and take a penalty drop either two club lengths not nearer the hole or as far back as I wanted in line with the hole.  Therefore, this means he could drop backwards out of the burn in line with the hole for a one shot penalty. 

Reply : Mon 14th Jul 2008 14:21

One of the key R & A guidances is "Do what is fair"

I thought if you found your original ball after playing a provisional the ruling is that you have to play the original ball Jon.  Am I mistaken on this?

user26342
Reply : Mon 14th Jul 2008 14:32

Chris,

I think your right, if you find your original & have played a provisional your original ball is now in play & any ruling applies to that ball.

John.

Reply : Mon 14th Jul 2008 15:23

Now if there had been a spelling error in with that repeated refresh, Santo would have to be locked in a padded room, wearing a coat with the buttons at the back where he'd be rocking back and forth muttering "grammar, it's simple to spell, stop hitting refresh, tell them mother....."

Reply : Mon 14th Jul 2008 15:43

I resisted the temptation to put a deliberate spelling mistake in there. 

How come you've pulled out of the HH comp Santo?

user24437
Reply : Mon 14th Jul 2008 15:49

Probably didn't want to get humiliated, Chris

Reply : Mon 14th Jul 2008 16:12

I've had a couple of mid handicappers interested in coming to play so I offered to put them together in a side comp if there was enough interest.  For some reason Santo then pulled out. 

To be fair, the course is better than most of the corporate hotel things, always in good nick and £25 is a cracking deal.  18th is a real knee trembler though (not in a behind the bike sheds kind of way! ). 

Thought you might've be interested Tim. 

Last edit : Mon 14th Jul 2008 16:12
user26342
Reply : Tue 15th Jul 2008 14:26

Chris,

Don't forget to take your goggles & snorkle for the 18th as it could be a very expensive hole!! Or take a load of range balls & use them on the 18th, you know what your like when it comes to water .

Reply : Tue 15th Jul 2008 14:33

Oh that's it Flood, set the mind games going when you're not even going to be there!  I have no fear of playing that hole as I'm going off in the first group so there won't be a bunch of people stood watching me come in.  And it's stableford so after losing three balls I can't score anyway so will give up. 

I believe there is a drop zone there now which reduces the distance to 50 yards.  Hang on, that's the distance I was having trouble with at Belton Woods! Oh bugger........

user24437
Reply : Tue 15th Jul 2008 16:56

If you're out first Chris we'll be able to stop at the 17th and have a beer or two and watch you finish if Belton is anything to go by.   

Reply : Wed 16th Jul 2008 09:43

It's only a two minute walk back to the car park from the 17th green so you can leave the hamper and pinnic blanket in the boot Tim.   Save you dragging it round the course.  Pimms anyone?

The Forums have now moved to a new version

We have now moved the forum to a new and improved system which provides more functionality plus provides easier access from desktop, tablets and smart phone devices.

Click here to view the new forum & register for free.

Scroll to top