Tee Times | Search | Reviews

News:

Gear | Tour | Industry Insider

Tuition:

Video Library | Tuition Sections

Community:

Join | Log In | Help | Useful Links

New Forum System - click here to visit our new & improved forum system >>>

High Handicap Comp 2 - Return to the Bushes!!!

Posted by: user33026 [FORUM MODERATOR] | Mon 30th Jun 2008 12:31 | Last Reply

Hi all.  Following on from the great success on Sunday in Tamworth (thanks again Lee), everyone said they wanted to do it again.  As promised I've made a couple of phone calls and there are three options.  Details below: -

Suggested Dates - Sat 26 July or Sun 27 July @ 11:00

Option One 

Course - Pype Hayes Golf Course, Eachelhurst Road, Walmley, Birmingham, B76 1EP

Web - http://www.leisure.birmingham.gov.uk/sites/golf/pypehayes.htm

Description - a 75 year old, par 70 parkland course with no water but trees lining most fairways and a stream marking out of bounds along the length of one hole.  Quite short at 5,662 yards but a couple of the par 4's are a struggle to reach in two.  Some interesting par 3's on here.   

Cost - £20 will get us golf, tea/coffee & bacon buttie plus cover the cost for some basic prizes.  We can book as many tee times as we want, but the catch is we have to pay in advance for 3 golfers for each tee time we book.  This means that for 20 golfers we would have to book 5 tee times with a £240 deposit

Option Two

Course - West Midlands Golf Club, Marsh House Farm Lane, Barston, Solihull, West Midlands, B92 0LB

Web - http://www.westmidlandsgolfclub.co.uk/Thegolf%20course.htm

Description - 5 year old par 72 parkland course to USGA standards.  Private course always in good condition with some water and an interesting 18th!  Most holes are quite open and forgiving and at 6,010 yards is shorter than Tamworth.  Lower handicappers would enjoy the risk/reward holes but the high handicappers are not punished by playing safe. 

Cost - £25 for golf, tea/coffee and bacon buttie at start.  They’ll also help out with nearest the pin/longest drive.  We'll have to talk nicely to Darren about prizes or put in £1 each like last time!  We can book as many tee times as we want with a £5 per player deposit (min 3 players per tee time).  That means for 20 players we have to pay a deposit of £75 to hold five tee times.  

Option Three

Course - Widney Manor Golf Club, Solihull, West Midlands, B91 3SZ

Web - http://www.widneymanorgolfclub.co.uk/index.htm

Description – A par 71 private parkland course to USGA standards with some water.  Short at 5,654 yards and it doesn’t give much help to the power hitters as some holes require an iron off the tee.  Course has been improved recently, especially drainage, and though challenging in places, sensible play will reap rewards.  

Cost - £20 for golf, tea/coffee and bacon buttie at start.  Again, we'll have to talk nicely to Darren about prizes or put in £1 each like last time!  We can book as many tee times as we want but have to pay in full two weeks in advance (price goes up to £24 if we pay on the day).   

Let me know your thoughts guys on which you'd like to do and your preferred day.  If we have enough interest then we can set it up. 

I’ll get the ball rolling.  I vote for West Midlands Golf Club, not bothered which day.  

Last edit : Mon 30th Jun 2008 13:11
re: High Handicap Comp 2 - Return to the Bushes!!!
user33026 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Mon 30th Jun 2008 13:08

Which course Sat?

Reply : Mon 30th Jun 2008 13:42

Thanks Lee.  That bloody bandit is barred from any event I run cos he stopped me winning!    Not that I'm bitter or anything.....  Out of interest, I hear Mark normally plays at a shorter course.  Normally that hurts when you go onto a longer track so how did he cope so well?  Just interested to see if he changed his approach or not. 

We going for a limit of 25 again or we going to allow 24's in as well?  I've had a cut of 0.8 but I'm still off 26.7 so I can play. 

user35357
Reply : Mon 30th Jun 2008 22:55

Sorry guys im away on holiday in two weeks to the costa del golf, the clubs have been banned though!! only land at birmingham about 0500 on the 27th, hang on keep clubs in boot pick up car from airport straight to golf, let missus make own way home. Knew there was a flaw there somewhere! Def up for any other future events though.

Reply : Tue 1st Jul 2008 11:06

Richard, the selling points to the missus are twofold: -

1.  We're going somewhere with millions of golf courses and you're not letting me play, even though it's my holiday as well (guilt trip)

2.  After two weeks in close proximity, you'll be glad of me disappearring for a few hours cos you'll be sick of the sight of me (faked consideration)

I did a similar thing a few years back with my ex.  We landed at Birmingham airport after a week away and I made her drop me at the The Hawthorns for West Brom's last game of the season on the way home!

Reply : Tue 1st Jul 2008 13:23

Lee,

All but Mark are welcome back!  I might insist that everyone joins up via Golfshake as it makes running the event that much easier.  It's free to join and only takes a couple of minutes so I can't see it being a problem.  Obviously if anyone knows any non-bandit high handicappers that want to join they are welcome. 

I'll keep bumping this up til next Monday and see what the interest is.  Currently it's looking like Sunday 27th at West Midlands Golf Club is favourite. 

Reply : Tue 1st Jul 2008 14:22

Hey, we stayed up because we won that game!!!  Fortunately Jo understands my affliction because she sits next to me at every game!

user35357
Reply : Tue 1st Jul 2008 22:47

well at least you lot get to watch premier league footie im off to hereford and yeovil this season!!!!

Reply : Wed 2nd Jul 2008 14:12

Don't take him on Lee.  He'll trawl through all your previous posts and list out all of the spelling mistakes!

You'll have to come to The Hawthorns on 25th April next year Lee.  You can watch us guarantee our safety by beating you!

Reply : Thu 3rd Jul 2008 11:59

Your handicap is too low Jerry.  You're barred!!!

Reply : Thu 3rd Jul 2008 13:48

Gonna give it a few more days to see what the numbers are before I book the course Andy.  I don't want to list it until I know the course is booked and don't want to book the course until I have an idea of the numbers.  Bit catch 22 at the moment.  Probably list it over the weekend or early next week. 

Sunday at West Midlands Golf Club is looking to be the preferred option at the moment. 

Lee - How many of the guys you brought to Tamworth are coming?

Reply : Fri 4th Jul 2008 11:52

It's done!  Provisionally booked the course and set up the comp.  Link is below, get your name down: -

http://www.golfshake.com/competition/competitionView.php?ID=3858

Reply : Sat 5th Jul 2008 00:42

Lee, Andy, you're in.  Come on in Darren, the water's lovely......

user15767
Reply : Sat 5th Jul 2008 08:55

I'm interestes.

Did you get any ladies at the last one?

Did they play of the Men's teas or the Ladies?

Sandra 

Reply : Sat 5th Jul 2008 11:32

Hi Sandra,

We didn't have any ladies at the last one, but you're more than welcome to join us.  As far as I'm concerned, you're a lady so you'll go off the ladies tees. 

user39425
Reply : Sat 5th Jul 2008 19:32

You’ll love the 18th. copycat 17th at sawgrass. Par 3 Island green right by the patio area. (So everybody’s watching, no where to hide). Have a nearest the pin on that one, bril'. Enjoy.

Reply : Sat 5th Jul 2008 21:52

Come on down Simon, you're most welcome.  Given that the best player will go round in 97 if playing to their handicap, you should feel quite comfortable. 

Reply : Mon 7th Jul 2008 09:59

All,

Minor rule change made.  See the message board for the comp, link below: -

http://www.golfshake.com/competition/competitionView.php?ID=3858&type=board

Still places left guys.  Come on in, you'll enjoy it.  Click on the link below to register: -

http://www.golfshake.com/competition/competitionRegister.php?ID=3858

Last edit : Mon 7th Jul 2008 10:01
Reply : Tue 8th Jul 2008 08:53

Now 14 out of 20 places taken guys with one provisional booking and some bandit with a handicap of 17 trying to sneak in!  Gonna be another great day.  Now if only Darren would get some bottle and come down......

Reply : Wed 9th Jul 2008 10:02

Now only three places left guys!  If you are or know of someone who wants to play and they haven't got their name down yet then they need to get a wriggle on!!!

Reply : Fri 11th Jul 2008 13:43

OK guys.  Due to demand peaking, I've arranged for an extra tee time so that we can now have 24 players.  I've adjusted the comp to allow this. 

There is also a glitch with registration where you ask to join but it's not always adding you to the list (Darren is investigating).  If you've applied to join can you have a quick check and make sure that you are on the list and I have approved you.  If you're not on the list, please reapply and if I haven't approved you drop me a note on the message board or a PM and I'll get to it. 

Reply : Fri 11th Jul 2008 14:06

There's a few lower handicappers applying to join.  To join in the comp, you must have a playing handicap of 25 or more!!!!

Tell you what, if your handicap is too low and you want to come for a game, apply in the normal way and if there are enough I'll put together a couple of lower handicap groups.  Phil Newton and Santo have already asked and I know Danny James wanted to play in the last one.  My fellow engineer is likely to want to join in as well.   

Last edit : Fri 11th Jul 2008 14:09
Reply : Fri 11th Jul 2008 21:51

I have to confirm final numbers to the club on the afternoon of Friday 18th July, so noon on that day is going to have to be the closing date to join in.  Make sure you get your name down!

Lee - Can you let the guys know.  Ta

user24437
Reply : Mon 14th Jul 2008 16:20

Just had a look at the dates and I may be able to come Chris if there is a space.  Will be able to confirm tomorrow.  I see Darren has got in under the wire with his new handicap!

Reply : Mon 14th Jul 2008 16:32

Danny James threw a tantrum when he couldn't play the last one as it was on his doorstep.  This is only about 15 mins away so I thought he might want to play.  That would give a group of Phil, Santo, Danny and you. 

I think Darren's handicap is due to a user interface error.  He's put in a score of 56 and it slashed his handicap to Tiger territory.  I think he meant it to be just for 9 holes.  One way to get your handicap down I suppose!

user24437
Reply : Mon 14th Jul 2008 17:18

I know Chris.  I know the little bugger of a course he did it on as well.  It's only a par 3, but 71 is a good score there - even so it was a bit harsh.

Reply : Tue 15th Jul 2008 14:27

The following people have registered for the comp but their name is not showing: -

Dale Unwin, Mark Pallett, Carlton Burrows, Stephanie Lawrence, Ben Posnett, Tim Hawkins, Richard Woolley

Can I ask you all just to try one more time and let me know if it works or not. 

This is an issue that Darren (and Helen) are aware of and I am "working dilligently with them to resolve it".  In other words, I'm nagging them!  It's as frustrating for me as it is for you guys.  Bear with me while I try to get this resolved. 

In the meantime I have increased the number of players allowed to 32 to try to solve this but also because it looks like we will have 30 players at the moment.

Oh Darren, PM coming your way again........

Reply : Tue 15th Jul 2008 15:47

Darren may have sorted this out.  Stephanie and Tim, you're now on the list.  I've also approved Danny and Phil to join Tim in the mid-handicap group

Dale, Mark, Carlton, Ben and Richard can you give it another go and you should be OK. 

user8 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Tue 15th Jul 2008 16:43

Tim was always there. I added Stephanie this afternoon.

Am interested in what happens when the following 5 try again:

Dale Unwin, Mark Pallett, Carlton Burrows,  Ben Posnett, Richard Woolley

Regards, Darren.

Reply : Tue 15th Jul 2008 16:50

Hmmmmm, I couldn't see Tim.  Maybe it was just me.

Dale has just tried again and has appearred so it may well be sorted.  Ben Posnett has some serious 'IT issues' so if there is a way to add him using your magic admin wand that would be really helpful.....

Reply : Wed 16th Jul 2008 13:03

Wahey!  Registration glitch has been fixed!  Thanks Darren. 

Carlton Burrows, Ben Posnett and Richard Woolley are now the only ones not registered that have tried.  Give it another bash guys, it should be fine now. 

Also one slot left in the bandit group with Tim, Danny and Phil

user24437
Reply : Wed 16th Jul 2008 14:29

Bandit group? Pot/kettle/pot?

Reply : Wed 16th Jul 2008 15:13

You've seen me play often enough to know I'm not a bandit Tim

user24437
Reply : Wed 16th Jul 2008 16:12

Me too.

Reply : Thu 17th Jul 2008 10:16

Egg sucking time.  The course have asked me to pass on their rules with regards to dress code and have said they will enforce it.  So here it is. 

"Players are expected to wear collared shirts, trousers and appropriate shoes.  Shorts should be tailored and worn with socks.  Soft spikes are preferred.  

Any person not conforming may be refused play or asked to leave the course"

Golf shoes, polo shirts, no jeans, no tracksuit bottoms basically.  I'm sure there's nothing in there that you didn't expect, but I had to pass it on as they asked me to and they will enforce it. 

user24437
Reply : Thu 17th Jul 2008 11:14

I can't wear my skirt then?

Reply : Thu 17th Jul 2008 11:33

Only if it's knee length Tim.  You can't wear that lime green lycra mini number I'm afraid. 

Reply : Fri 18th Jul 2008 19:34

Hi all,

Still waiting for payment from seven of you.  If you haven't received a PM from me confirming receipt then I haven't had your payment yet.  If you've sent it and I haven't PM'd you then it's still on it's way.  If you haven't sent it yet, you know what to do......

Reply : Sat 19th Jul 2008 19:36

If you're quick.  I have to confirm the numbers to the course tomorrow. 

Reply : Thu 24th Jul 2008 22:04

Ok guys, the provisional groups are sorted.  I've incorporated requests for playing together and early/late times where I can.  I've also set off the bandits first so that Ali doesn't hold them up!  Have a look below and if you would like to be moved to a different group or time for whatever reason, just drop me a PM. 

And just a warning for all of you regarding handicaps.  I'll be using whatever handicap you have showing on Saturday afternoon and all those of you curently showing -1, you'll be going off 24 unless you can prove to me you shouldn't. 

Competitor

HcpGroupPlayerTee Time

Tim Hawkins

21.2Group 1Player 111:06Danny James18.1Group 1Player 211:06Phillip Newton17.5Group 1Player 311:06

Chris Perry

27.2Group 2Player 111:14Andy Edwards28Group 2Player 211:14Robin Macdonald-1Group 2Player 311:14Martin Litchfield27.9Group 2Player 411:14

Carlton Burrows

24Group 3Player 111:22Cliff Dadds26.8Group 3Player 211:22Ray Perryman27.8Group 3Player 311:22Adrian Murray26.6Group 3Player 411:22

Wayne Dyke

27.3Group 4Player 111:30David Shingler28Group 4Player 211:30Richard Woolley28Group 4Player 311:30Allister Mitchell-1Group 4Player 411:30

Ben Posnett

-1Group 5Player 111:38Lee Miller27.2Group 5Player 211:38Dale Unwin28Group 5Player 311:38Mark Pallett25.3Group 5Player 411:38

Timothy Buffham

-1Group 6Player 111:46Steve Signorelli-1Group 6Player 211:46Stephanie Lawrence36Group 6Player 311:46Stephen Ridge28Group 6Player 411:46

Stephen Johnson

28Group 7Player 111:54Richard Friend-1Group 7Player 211:54Paul Reilly-1Group 7Player 311:54Satwinder Sandhu28Group 7Player 411:54

user15767
Reply : Thu 24th Jul 2008 22:31

Hope you have a good game.

Maybe I'll get to the next one.

Sandra

Go Stephanie - show the lads what you can do. 

user24437
Reply : Fri 25th Jul 2008 08:10

Ha!  Think ya going to phase me by sending me out first, eh, Perry?  Just means I'll be waiting on the 18th!  Anyone got a video camera?

Reply : Fri 25th Jul 2008 08:35

I know that your cool calm demeanour won't be ruffled by going out first Tim.  Didn't want those who can actually play to be held up. 

I'm claiming that I need to go out early as I have to collate all of the cards.  Truth is I want as few people as possible watching me play into the 18th green.........

Reply : Sat 26th Jul 2008 21:21

See you all tomorrow.  Bring the sun cream!  Not the brolley like when that Miller bloke organised it.....

user35357
Reply : Sun 27th Jul 2008 19:13

Just got back from holiday to find that i had applied for this comp? didnt as been on the costa del sol! Sorry for any confusion but def up for the next one. Hope it all went well for you guys. Think i might have brought the weather back with me!

user101687
Reply : Sun 27th Jul 2008 20:19

Sitting in the comfort of an ice bath wearing my newly acquired sombrero (before anyone else gets the digs in !!!) just to say many thanks to all for a tremendous day. Good weather, good course, good company. Well done Chris on a well organised event and as a "virgin" on these soiree's can recommend them to other members.

user101687
Reply : Sun 27th Jul 2008 22:21

Lee, tough on you mate 1 point is sickening I know, but it could of been worse, I blobbed one hole and had three 'air' shots !!! Just had one of those lucky days but look forward to seeing you and all the guys at the next one.

Reply : Mon 28th Jul 2008 09:37

Thanks to everyone for coming yesterday and for those who couldn't I hope we see you in Leamington.  I throughly enjoyed it and I hope you all did too.  Oh, and I hope you've all recovered from the thrill of playing the 18th!  Key results are: -

1st - Cliff Dadds, 43 pts, 93 gross, 66 net

2nd - Lee Miller, 42 pts, 93 gross, 66 net

3rd - Carlton Burrows, 38 pts, 98 gross, 74 net

Nearest the pin (4th) - Tim Buffham

Longest Drive (12th) - Stephen Ridge

Wooden spoon - Steve Signorelli, 4 pts, 171 gross, 143 net

Sweepstake for number of balls lost on the 18th - Lee Miller (23)

Full results below, I'll do a blog as soon as I get chance. 

http://www.golfshake.com/competition/competitionView.php?ID=3858&type=res

Last edit : Mon 28th Jul 2008 09:52
user24437
Reply : Tue 29th Jul 2008 17:26

HHC2 photos on competition page

Lets all play spot the ball!

Reply : Tue 29th Jul 2008 18:52

Linky thing below.  Number 9 is a great photo Tim

http://www.golfshake.com/competition/competitionView.php?ID=3858&type=media

The Forums have now moved to a new version

We have now moved the forum to a new and improved system which provides more functionality plus provides easier access from desktop, tablets and smart phone devices.

Click here to view the new forum & register for free.

Scroll to top