Tee Times | Search | Reviews

News:

Gear | Tour | Industry Insider

Tuition:

Video Library | Tuition Sections

Community:

Join | Log In | Help | Useful Links

New Forum System - click here to visit our new & improved forum system >>>

Any tips to stop hitting behind the ball?

Posted by: user85262 | Fri 20th Jun 2008 08:52 | Last Reply

Had a nightmare at the range last night - anyway Ive been 'trying' unsuccesfully to try to hit down into the ball and take a divot just after and trying to STOP hitting being the ball.  Had my son watching me last night and he says its at least 2 or 3 inches behind ball which of course is leading to horrible fat shots.

Ive been trying after seeing the video here with the piece of wood without a section cut out to stop hitting behind the ball - the guys a bit of a nutcase but the ideas good:-

You''ll see what I mean if you just jump it on until the bit with the piece of wood.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I6fmMzrs_zI

Its harder than I thought anyway, I keep trying but I just cannot seem to hit down into the back of the ball and last night literally felt like when I just started playing golf a few years ago. 

Until I tried this I didnt realise how far behind the ball I am hitting - I must somehow come down on a shallower plane and hit the board approx 3 inches before the ball.

Any ideas anyone please?   on possible causes of this? or drills for hitting into the ball.

I'm generally ok off the tee and also within 100/ 130 yards of the green with PW and 9 iron  I dont have any problems - it tends to be 7 6 and 5 iron I have most problem with.

I'll probably try again tonight and take my video camera.

thanks all for any tips

John

Simon

re: Any tips to stop hitting behind the ball?
user85262
Reply : Fri 20th Jun 2008 09:49

Wayne

I'm fairly sure I'm not casting.  I try to retain the wrist hinge till just before impact and also trying to make sure that back of my left hand is flat and facing target at impact.

I recently tried to start moving my hips more in the downswing and maybe this could be causing a problem.

When i first did this it gave me quite a bit more distance but perhaps ive started using my hips too much and is causing me to hit behind the ball,  i'm not sure.

thanks

J

user77012
Reply : Fri 20th Jun 2008 10:03

John, without a vid we could be guessing all day

user50843
Reply : Mon 23rd Jun 2008 21:08

Sometimes I think we are guilty of over complicating things, if you're hitting behind the ball, move the ball back, sorted........

user50843
Reply : Tue 15th Jul 2008 22:12

oh yes mr spammie......

The Forums have now moved to a new version

We have now moved the forum to a new and improved system which provides more functionality plus provides easier access from desktop, tablets and smart phone devices.

Click here to view the new forum & register for free.

Scroll to top