Gear | Tour | Industry Insider

Tuition:

Video Library | Tuition Sections

Community:

Join | Log In | Help | Useful Links

New Forum System - click here to visit our new & improved forum system >>>

US Open Rant no.2 - Interviews

Posted by: user8 [FORUM MODERATOR] | Tue 17th Jun 2008 10:28 | Last Reply

Following on from the recent rant about the crowds at the US Open I just need to get something off my chest.

Firstly I need to start by saying yes Tiger Woods is truly a great golfer and potentially the best ever (this may spark additional comments but does he really need to be discussed in every bit of commendatory and every interview ?

After the round on Saturday Lee Westwood was interviewed by Sky Sports and the 2nd question was in reference to Tiger which seemed to notably annoy Lee and made for a very short and stinted interview.  Robert Karlson was also interviewed and again the topic of conversation turned to how Tiger was going and would he win.

Okay the other golfers are trying to compete with Tiger to win the titles but we don't need continual 'Tigermania' there are 100s of other fantastic golfers on the tours who we can also learn from and may have an interest in not just Tiger

I think it's great to be in an era to be able to watch Tiger and watch him rewrite the record books but come on there are other golfers out there and other news stories and interview to be heard. 

Sorry about the rant, it may be sparked by the fact Lee Westwood is a Forest fan and Notts lad not to far from where I live, so maybe I may be slightly bias   Better luck next time Lee.

Darren. 

re: US Open Rant no.2 - Interviews
user83900
Reply : Tue 17th Jun 2008 10:38

I agree with you Darren, certainly when interviewing other players they should only really be asked about their own games rather than rubbing Tiger into them!

Was a great comp to watch, a lot of it down to Tiger but like you say, soooo many other excellent players as well.

I was totally amazed by how many of them were consistently missing fairways (seemed more than normal) but then one of the BIGGEST differences between them and us was totally displayed by their amazing ability to get out of trouble with their 2nd shots - booming irons out of rough to greens still well over 200 yards away.

Tiger was best at that as well though....

user52922
Reply : Tue 17th Jun 2008 12:20

Asking their thoughts on Tiger is a legitimate question, IMO, as it puts them on the defensive and they have to seriously think on what they should say.

Of course he is awesome, anyone who gets up to a hole of over 500 yds with a drive and nine iron, is most definitely awesome.

Westwood had his chance and he failed to step up to the plate, no one remembers who came third.

user77012
Reply : Tue 17th Jun 2008 15:16

The Tiger show runs on and on and rightly so, theres not many players i would stay up until 3am to watch, and not be dissapointed. I too wish they would stick to asking questions about the players own performance ,as they dont usually asked Tiger about his playing parntner until the end off the tournament. Much admiration for the strenght of these guys,my upper arms are still aching from digging balls out of the first cut at Hollis Hills!! when you managed to find em!

user95306
Reply : Tue 17th Jun 2008 20:59

agree with some of your points lads however  a few questions...

John P i may be wrong but i cant remember any 500 yarders that Tiger took a a drive and a 9 iron on!!  Secondly i dont think Lee Westwood blew it or bottle it in any way, i have not looked at any stats but i think over the 4 days he played very well, probably hitting more fairways then most and lets face it thats whats the game is all about, hitting fairways and greens in regulation! Its just shows how good Tiger is at recovering from some very tricky situations!

As a response to Your topic post Darren i feel that to question Lee Westwood on Tiger was ligitame questioning however the timeing could have been better, maybe having question LW on his round etc and then at the end of it turning to tiger having jusy completed the final round with him!!!

user8 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Tue 17th Jun 2008 21:11

Jon T, great analogy 

Yes he's good and worth watching but I can honestly say I upgraded my cable subscription on Sunday to watch Westwood and not Tiger, although I did sit and watch the whole of the Monday play off which was a fantastic spectacle.

Stewart's spot on, there is nothing wrong asking about Tiger at the end of an interview but not within the first few questions, give the other guys some credit and respect. 

user24437
Reply : Wed 18th Jun 2008 00:12

I think you'll find it was a 3 wood and a 9 iron on the 515yd par 4, downwind.  I remember it because the commentary said it was 185yds and I thought, hmm, ideal range for my 21deg hybrid...

user23840
Reply : Wed 18th Jun 2008 08:39

As for Tiger being the greatest ever, we will never know. If it goes down to the ammount of trophies won, then he will be the greatest. But this weekend proves a point I've had for a while. Are the others hungery enough to win? Do they see Tiger in there review mirrors and just concede defeat?

user52922
Reply : Wed 18th Jun 2008 09:22

Hi Danny, have to agree with you on this, as he can only be judged against his peers of today and we all know he is showing himself to be way ahead of them all. I think where Tiger comes out ahead is his ability to play for four rounds, some just cannot seem to hang on for that distance.

I can remember our club championship at my club in Somerset. We had over thirty players in single figures all capable of shooting low numbers but over the 36 holes of the competiton, this was whittled down to only about four of us with any chance of winning.

There have been many great players down the years and we all know who they are.

What about Henry Cotton, shooting a 65 at Royal St. Georges, Sandwich in the 1934 Open Championship, arguably the hardest of the Open rota courses.

We will all have our favourites, but one thing I have noticed, is that they all seem to be able to hole putts much longer than I am capable of.

Last edit : Wed 18th Jun 2008 09:51
user83900
Reply : Wed 18th Jun 2008 11:11

I agree Jon with what you say about Tiger just hitting it and relying on his ability to get out of trouble.

However I don't think he does that all the time, I think that in this tournament it was mostly down to his injury that was causing the majority of his inaccuracy from the tee, he normally does boom it but is never normally as far off line as he was in this comp.  I think it's fair to say that his injury probably hindered him by easily a couple of shots per round, which would have meant if totally fit he would have won by 8 or 9 shots.  Far more like what we're used to....

I can't imagine how difficult it must have been to play knowing that every drive was going to hit you with pain (apart from the mental pain I'm often used to after my drives!!)

user52922
Reply : Wed 18th Jun 2008 13:03

You are right of course, John T, that Rocco was his equal this week, but then there is always someone up there with him no matter what tournament it is, but they only appear once in a blue moon, he is in contention 90% of the time he plays and that is what makes him stand out from the crowd.

As no one remembers who came second, he was the master this week. A win is a win.

user52922
Reply : Wed 18th Jun 2008 15:50

He can be very wild, on occasion, John T, I agree ,yet if he were at my course doing the same thing, he would have a lot of lost balls, but because he still manages to score well we have to accept it. Seve was another one prone to finding other fairways but his artistry at getting down in two from everywhere was the key to his success.

Wayne, rather be off topic than off the fairway, whatever that is.

user95306
Reply : Thu 19th Jun 2008 22:21

, the comments made by Goosen were in my opinion made  with a little bit of tongue in cheek, a bit like when the likes of us are out with mates and we try blagging it when we duff one! and yer mate turns around and tells you to pull the other one!  Allthough that wont come accross in a newspaper!!

gutted tiger aint playing though!  i also heard in an interview with westwood that he could here the Knee clicking when tiger was hobbling about!

Fair palay yp him and makes hs victory even more amazing!

The Forums have now moved to a new version

We have now moved the forum to a new and improved system which provides more functionality plus provides easier access from desktop, tablets and smart phone devices.

Click here to view the new forum & register for free.

Scroll to top