Gear | Tour | Industry Insider

Tuition:

Video Library | Tuition Sections

Community:

Join | Log In | Help | Useful Links

New Forum System - click here to visit our new & improved forum system >>>

Hollins Hall (Tough)???

Posted by: user10367 | Tue 10th Jun 2008 09:30 | Last Reply

"So wayne how tough out of 10 was that course? just the courses i have played have never been that difficult. How would it compair say to st andrews or places in florida?"

I've never played in America or St Andrews Matt, but of the courses I've played here I would say an 8.

Tight fairways and fast greens, and I'm going on the fact that they are quick even though on the Monday the greens staff had sliced them to air they could be quick and with hard to read borrows.

would appreciate any of the lower handicappers views that played there!!.

Last edit : Tue 10th Jun 2008 09:31
re: Hollins Hall (Tough)???
user33026 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Tue 10th Jun 2008 11:07

Never played St Andrews, but in the US I've played one PGA (Magnolia, the course used for the Funai Classic in Florida) and two PGA qualifying courses. 

The US courses are immaculate and the first cut is definitly more forgiving.  On most holes you can afford to be well off the fairway (4 or 5 feet anyay) and still have a good lie - I've played UK courses with fairways like their first cut and greens like their fairways.  What makes them difficult is the layout is extremely well thought out with bunkers and water just where you don't want them.  It means that club selection and accuracy off the tee is critical and you have to think your way around.  Check out the virtual tour on the link below and have a look at holes 1 and 11 and you'll see what I mean. 

http://disneyworld.disney.go.com/wdw/moreMagic/golf/golfLanding?id=MagnoliaCourseLandingPage&bhcp=1

As for Hollins Hall, with the exception of a couple of holes, the layout of the course wasn't overly difficult.  What makes it tough is the topography of the course, the narrow fairways, the heavy first cut, knee length rough and lightning greens.  I think someone got it bang on in another thread when they said they'd laid out the course, realised it needed it something a little more so grew the rough and narrowed the fairways.  However, the pace and difficulty of reading of the greens is akin to those in the US and I bet that gusting wind could make it play like an inlands links on some days.  I think if you could be reasonably accurate around this course and figure out the greens then a decent score is achievable.  However, when you add all these factors together, Hollins Hall is one of the touger courses I've played and I would give it a 7.5/10 on the difficultyometer and I really know I've played this morning!

user26342
Reply : Wed 11th Jun 2008 17:52

Guys,

I wasn't able to make the Northern cup as I went to a lovely place called Forest Pines in North Lincoln for 3 days. This hosts 3 9 hole courses which are all of PGA standard & almost every hole requires a strategy on how to reach the greens & once you reach them some of them have 4 tiers whith lighting fast putts!!

I'd say that these courses are one of the most difficult I've ever played.

http://www.forestpines.co.uk/

Chris  -  Well done mate, looks like those new irons are proving there money?

Reply : Wed 11th Jun 2008 18:15

Thanks John.  And you said I had too much disposable income!!!  Shame I only took four points from the last five holes or it could've been better. 

How was the weekend?  Got plenty of brownie points in yet?

Reply : Fri 13th Jun 2008 08:29

I didn't even bother looking if I went in the long stuff at Hollins, I just dropped another (including off the first tee).  Several people couldn't even find their ball in the first cut despite seeing it drop. 

The Forums have now moved to a new version

We have now moved the forum to a new and improved system which provides more functionality plus provides easier access from desktop, tablets and smart phone devices.

Click here to view the new forum & register for free.

Scroll to top