Gear | Tour | Industry Insider

Tuition:

Video Library | Tuition Sections

Community:

Join | Log In | Help | Useful Links

New Forum System - click here to visit our new & improved forum system >>>

Free Golf GPS

Posted by: user64175 | Tue 3rd Jun 2008 16:19 | Last Reply

Anyone who already has a GPS device, such as a handheld or mobile phone sat nav which runs on microsoft windows mobile platforms. Visit www.freecaddie.com and download the free GPS software and install it on your GPS, you will need to register but its all free. Download various courses from the database or create your own. Tried it out today on my handheld PC (hp iPaq Travel Companion) sat nav and it was spot on for yardage markers. Very impressive and best of all its FREE.

There is already quite an impressive database of courses in the UK and its quite easy to create your own course map using google earth, all the instructions are on the site. I created Atherstone and Amington and they were spot on when I walked the courses to test it. If enough of us use it we should cover all the courses we are likely to play.

Last edit : Thu 14th Aug 2008 20:35
re: Free Golf GPS
user26342
Reply : Wed 4th Jun 2008 13:48

also looks like it's an evaluation copy so you may have to pay in the future??

user26342
Reply : Wed 4th Jun 2008 14:14

doesn't work on a nokia n95??? & you need a password to open a course you create yourself???

something smells a bit fishy 

user64175
Reply : Wed 4th Jun 2008 18:08

John

Nothing fishy about it honest, not an evaluation copy and likely to be an open source product soon. I am a systems engineer and all is well, used it again today. The forums will answer your problems. Passwords are not needed, you copy the zip file direct to the "Courses" folder in program files and the software opens them automatically.

Regarding the Nokia n95, correct, it will not run on this, the software will only run on windows based mobiles, therfore your mobile OS needs to be Microsoft Windows Mobile Versions. It does say that it is currently for Windows Mobile users on the software download page!

For all windows mobile users try it, realy good.

user64175
Reply : Wed 4th Jun 2008 18:18

Pat,

Create your own course in Ireland, realy easy to do, just drag and drop markers on to a satelite picture of your chosen course. This is new and relies on us to "map" courses for us all to share.

The courses I have done took me 15 minutes each course. I only mapped Front, Middle and Back of Green, Fairway Bunkers, Water Hazards and Dogleg Turns, Didn't bother with greenside bunkers. I then walked the course and it was spot on.

user39425
Reply : Wed 4th Jun 2008 21:26

Can i download it onto my LG KU990 Peter.  And is my tom tom any good for stuff like this.

user64175
Reply : Wed 4th Jun 2008 21:29

Sorry Pat, the best advice is aim, close your eyes and take a wild swing. If that fails blame anyone out of earshot, usually the wife for giving you a hard time just before you left for a game.
Carry on Golfing!!

user64175
Reply : Wed 4th Jun 2008 21:41

Gra,
Your LG is a Camera Phone and does not run on the Windows Operating System, likewise with your Tom Tom. My sat nav is the hp ipaq travel companion, a little handheld computer. You need a Mobile Phone or Hand Held Computer running Microsoft Windows Mobile Version 5 or 6 with inbuilt GPS receiver.

user39425
Reply : Thu 5th Jun 2008 07:30

Aw well, looks like i'll have to just have to keep throwing the grass in the air and hoping for the best...................

user64175
Reply : Wed 13th Aug 2008 13:29

David,

Sorry I took so long to respond, Regarding mapping courses, you do this on the freecaddie site, go to thier site and create a course. You find the course using their google earth. You can now map the course and save it. Download the course to your computer. Connect your mobile device to the computer and copy the saved course onto the mobile unit as per the instructions on the freecaddie site. Visit http://www.freecaddie.com/Support.aspx  for all the instructions. I have used it at lots of courses and it is bang on. The only downfall is you have to know the course beforehand in order to map it. 

Regards - Pete

user64175
Reply : Thu 14th Aug 2008 20:31

JP you are correct it will not work on the iPhone as it runs on a macintosh platform, freecaddie is for microsoft windows mobile platforms as it says on the freecaddie site!!!

Wayne - If you are down loading a course from the freecaddie site there is no problem. But if you are creating a new course from scratch to upload to their database, this is when you need to know the course in order to id each hole when mapping. I have created about fifteen courses now and uploaded, quite easy to do.

I use freecaddie quite often, very impressive. But the best thing is it's free, (what a choker) there is a pro version for a small charge, but the standard is more than adequate for our needs.

A mate of mine has one of those fancy skycaddies, last week he asked to borrow my sat nav with the freecaddie for a comp at our local course, say no more.

Last edit : Thu 14th Aug 2008 20:33
user35357
Reply : Thu 14th Aug 2008 22:11

I have a HTC Touch Diamond with windows mobile will it work on this?

user129665
Reply : Sat 22nd Nov 2008 19:57

its pretty easy to map your course - i played stonebridge thursday and came back and plotted it out well the 1st 9 holes, mainly as the course has changed from a 18 to 27 holes

and they have the old version online, just wish i had a windows based mobile or pda to use it with even looked at buying a new moby to try it out lol 

seems all good, nice to see free stuff

user129665
Reply : Tue 25th Nov 2008 19:06

currently scanning for a decent priced HTC touch diamond Smartphone with windows 6.1 and gprs etc etc 3g also

come on ebay give me one cheap like £200 delivered cheap lol

user129665
Reply : Sun 7th Dec 2008 12:18

works fine on HTC touch Diamond with windows mobile 6.1

simple and effective - solid free product 

user39425
Reply : Mon 8th Dec 2008 17:45

Getting me a new mobile. Can anybody recommend a mobile phone for this gps system?

user129665
Reply : Sun 15th Mar 2009 17:19

visit there website it tells you www.freecaddie.com

think they are doing iphone these days and java based is on trial 

user127691
Reply : Thu 30th Jul 2009 12:12

I know this one has been done to death now but just had to say I have recently put this on my i-phone and it's bob on it is pretty much the same reading as my mates sky caddie it does give the odd dodgy reading but for free there is no way to complain and you should have a rough idea of your distyance anyway it's only for a more precise distance.

The Forums have now moved to a new version

We have now moved the forum to a new and improved system which provides more functionality plus provides easier access from desktop, tablets and smart phone devices.

Click here to view the new forum & register for free.

Scroll to top