Gear | Tour | Industry Insider

Tuition:

Video Library | Tuition Sections

Community:

Join | Log In | Help | Useful Links

New Forum System - click here to visit our new & improved forum system >>>

Slazenger K1 FAST

Posted by: user40694 | Fri 16th May 2008 16:49 | Last Reply

Has anybody else seen the adverts for this Driver?

Has anybody actually bought one of these?  And if so, is it as good as the hype makes out? 

re: Slazenger K1 FAST
user9368
Reply : Fri 16th May 2008 19:43

Saw a guy topping ball after ball 20ft with a K1 down the range. Had to chuckle when i know he has spent over £100 on this piece of rubbish.

I particularly like the repetitive noise that they play on the advert. Exactly the same audio used for every single shot. I suspect something is up when they cant use the actuall sound generated by the club.

user26537
Reply : Mon 19th May 2008 11:14

I have read various threads on these things over the past few years.  Many respondents say that they work well until the face splits. 

It seems that whilst they are a servicable club for some people the build quality does not live upto the levels expected.

user77012
Reply : Mon 2nd Aug 2010 12:42

Quality , luv it

user38216
Reply : Mon 2nd Aug 2010 13:39

AVOID

user26342
Reply : Mon 2nd Aug 2010 17:28

I need to get my hcap up so I can start bombing my drives

user77012
Reply : Mon 2nd Aug 2010 18:08

I'm glad you got what I was reading Floody, Luv it and quality wasn't a reference to the K1

user8 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Tue 10th Aug 2010 20:47

What are these going for these days ?

user106712
Reply : Tue 24th Aug 2010 18:00

I was at the driving range about a year ago. I had just bought a nike sumo 5900 and was hitting some nice drives. I noticed an old fellow in the next bay was using a k1 speed driver, so I asked if I could have a go as I don't believe the rubbish on tv. Anyway I hit 4 balls and everyone went straight and further than my best shot with my nike. Maybe it was a fluke but it felt very easy to use, very forgiving and very long. who wudda believed it ?

I haven't tried the k1 fast driver though.

Last edit : Tue 24th Aug 2010 18:01
user24437
Reply : Wed 1st Sep 2010 18:23

Claimed to have a Titanium head, so it could be that they haven't bothered to heat treat it.  It work hardens after forming and if this isn't stress relieved it can be prone to fracture.

user24437
Reply : Wed 1st Sep 2010 22:24

If it was a decent grade Ti the minimum it could be is 102 grammes for a 460cc driver, Ivan.  

Maybe they did thin the face down to increase the COR, but it's unlikely that this would be the cause of the fracture.  Ti is remarkably stiff as a shelled face (which is why they use it for gas turbine compressor blades) but isn't likely to fracture as long as the grain is in tension.  However, when its in compression, as it would be at the tight radius towards the top of the head, it will harden at the granular level - this then breaks the grain boundary and the fracture occurs.  Obviously, with heat treatment (long annealing) the internal stresses that are built up in the manufacturing process are relieved - this won't stop any driver splitting, but it greatly reduces the risk.  It's just that it's not a particularly fast, or cheap process...

user33026 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Wed 1st Sep 2010 22:59

You just love an opportunity to show off your engineering geekiness don't you Tim. 

Worryingly, I not only understood every word but agreed with it as I knew that it was right due to my own engineering geekiness

user320447
Reply : Fri 3rd Sep 2010 09:52

"I would have thought that it probably as good as the "nicer dicer" or "non-drip" paint roller that is also advertised in a similar manner."

Hey, steady on ... I've got a Nicer Dicer and it's an awesome bit of kit! I mean, great at chopping veg, rubbish at reducing my handicap!

user356537
Reply : Mon 2nd Apr 2012 22:06

Thought I'd entered the twilight zone for a moment when I saw a thread about the K1 Speed!  I owned one for about a week before it went on e-bay.  The good news was that by the time I'd sold the 3 wood that came with the driver I actually made a profit.  Never ever listen to the marketing hype!

The Forums have now moved to a new version

We have now moved the forum to a new and improved system which provides more functionality plus provides easier access from desktop, tablets and smart phone devices.

Click here to view the new forum & register for free.

Scroll to top