Tee Times | Search | Reviews

News:

Gear | Tour | Industry Insider

Tuition:

Video Library | Tuition Sections

Community:

Join | Log In | Help | Useful Links

New Forum System - click here to visit our new & improved forum system >>>

frustrated, why cant i repeat my practise swing with ball there?

Posted by: user85262 | Fri 16th May 2008 12:07 | Last Reply

Since i first started playing golf a few years ago ive had the same problem.

Has anyone else had the this same problem I have that their actual swing is nothing like the practise swing.   (ive watched it back on video)

Put the ball there & its like I become a different person swinging the club.

Its something in my mind stopping me from relaxing and just swinging the same when there is a ball there - so frustrating its driving me mad and spoiling my enjoyment of the game.  Over the 3 years since i started playing ive had quite a few lessons and the pro's ive had lessons with tell me what I should be doing techincally i.e the correct swing plane etc  but its a mental thing that stop me and no-one has managed to help me get it sorted.

Ive scoured the internet and cant find any tips.

Ive posted before about the problem I have that I can easily make a full turn in my practise swing but when i watch my proper swing on video its only half a swing.

Just back from a weeks golfing holiday and each group I played in commented the same - with my driver especially my actual swing is completely different than my practise, it becomes very flat and as if I am pushing the ball to the target.

Ive tried all sorts to imagine no ball being there but simply cannot repeat the practise swing when ball is there !  Ive tried to keep all the muscles relaxed.

If anyone has overcome this same problem I;d love to know how and if anyone has any advice or tips i'll give anything a go.

thanks all in advance.

J

re: frustrated, why cant i repeat my practise swing with ball there?
user24437
Reply : Fri 16th May 2008 14:13

John, try not having a practice swing, after all, it's not working is it?  Stand behind the ball and have a warm up and visualise the shot by all means, then just step up, set up and crack it. 

user24437
Reply : Fri 16th May 2008 14:40

Apart from the crack it bit, obviously...

user33026 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Wed 30th Jul 2008 17:51

Put simply, when you take a practice swing you are concentrating on the swing and when you take your 'real' swing you are concentrating on the ball.  I suggest ignoring the ball and focussing on a blade of grass or similar just in front to the ball instead as you do when you take your practice swing. 

user85262
Reply : Mon 1st Sep 2008 16:20

Ive posted before about the problem I have that I can easily make a full turn in my practise swing but when i watch my proper swing on video its only half a swing.

Back to my original post as above  - Ive had quite a few lessons and something just stops me making a full swing when there is a ball there.  Ive tried loads of different things but as ive mentioned i think it was something in my head stopping me.

Anyway,  made a bit of a breakthrough last night - after 2 years of trying various things finally made a full swing with the ball there -with the video set up so I know I was doing a full swing.   

BUT>?? 

Ive now established if I watch the club on the way back as oppose to the ball then I can get the club back to parallel ot the target.   At the top of the swing then i had to move my eyes quickly down to the ball,  not great for co-ordination.

Obviously I should be looking at the ball but at least its some progress and I might now be able to move on from there.

Using the method watching the video back I wonder if its the way my head moves back when I watch the club and not the ball gives my arms more room to move under my shoulders perhaps, not sure?

Any ideas as to why this could enable a full swing and any thoughts how i can now move on to the full swing whilst watching the ball and not my club on backswing.

thanks all

J

user80078
Reply : Thu 13th Feb 2014 20:29

John, you don't play golf with your practice swing, so why bother about it. Your practice swing is just a loosener and does not have to be related to your shot swing. There have been many pro's and good players whose practice swing bore no relationship to their shot swing .eg. Cory Pavin, and he was pretty good. My advice would be to concentrate on what is happening when you play the ball, that's what counts. Good luck.

user356537
Reply : Fri 14th Feb 2014 13:04

Michael, I hope that 6 years later he's solved the problem......or given up!

user80078
Reply : Fri 14th Feb 2014 14:57

LOL. Didn't see the date on that one... I couldn't agree more!!.....

The Forums have now moved to a new version

We have now moved the forum to a new and improved system which provides more functionality plus provides easier access from desktop, tablets and smart phone devices.

Click here to view the new forum & register for free.

Scroll to top