Tuition:

Video Library | Tuition Sections

Community:

Join | Log In | Help | Useful Links

New Forum System - click here to visit our new & improved forum system >>>

High Handicap competition?

Posted by: user93749 | Mon 5th May 2008 20:31 | Last Reply

High Handicap competition?

I cannot be the only person playing in the Midlands with a high handicap (28) who wants to play more golf and indeed even enter a competition but is always put of by max handicaps of 20, high green fee prices at courses miles away and having to endure watching others drill the ball to perfection every shot.

I want to know if anyone is intrested in a "Hackers Comp"??

A pure enjoyable round at a nice muni course (Western Park Leics maybe) where us high handicappers can enjoy a decent game of golf with others who know how easy it is to shank,top,slice and lose a ball. Im thinking a date in July. Let me know if anyone is intrested and I will arrange it.

Lee

re: High Handicap competition?
user33026 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Tue 6th May 2008 12:01

I'd be up for that Lee.  A comp that I have a chance of not coming last in!!!  I think you should have a handicap of 25 or more to be allowed to play

Can I suggest one of the Birmingham Muni's?  Hatchford Brook (next to the airport) is always in great condition and is fairly straightforward or Hilltop (just off J1 of the M5), which is a little more challenging but again in good condition.  

user24437
Reply : Tue 6th May 2008 15:49

There already is such a competition Lee.  It's called the North v South.

Seriously though, you should consider one of the Golfshake events, you'll come across lots of good (and bad) players who are helpful, friendly and good for your game - bit rich I know from someone who's struggled down to 20 (and now climbing).  I can almost guarantee you won't be last!

Reply : Tue 6th May 2008 20:19

The brother in law and his best mate play with me every Sunday and we're about the same standard.  I'm sure they'd be up for it (subject to work commitments)

I can see it now, Chris Perry, Golfshake Autoglass Trophy winner 2008.......

user48341
Reply : Fri 9th May 2008 01:36

Is 24.6 too far out into bandit territory to be allowed into this elite competition? (I'm based in Sheffield but Leicester/Tamworth are reachable for the odd game).

Cheers,

Peter 

Last edit : Wed 21st May 2008 12:49
user94496
Reply : Sat 10th May 2008 20:22

Hi i am in Manchester,

i would be willing to travel as a once in while event.

keep us up to date, if i can i will make it, rather be just noth of Birmingham, Tamworth ok, the new toll road helps.

Nice Idea 

Reply : Sun 11th May 2008 20:13

Bro-in-law and his mate are in.  May have a couple of others as well.  We played today and I was the only one of four sub 100, and that was the first time I've done that since October!!!

user48341
Reply : Mon 12th May 2008 17:19

Sorry - Sundays are no good for me. I'll try to catch you all on another occasion. Hope the day goes well for everyone.

Reply : Mon 12th May 2008 22:33

Bro in law is already registered on golfshake.  He might get his arse round to registering for the comp soon.  He'll register his mate as well.  They're both off 28.  I'll let you know about the other after we've played this weekend. 

Any news on tee times, price, etc?  Better get a bacon buttie before we start!!!

user9368
Reply : Tue 20th May 2008 21:52

Sounds like a great idea for a comp. Too far away for my budget but i would've played had it been nearer. May i suggest that as there will be so many high handicappers that you play stableford and pick up after 8 to speed things along or 2 ball better ball. Otherwise you might find your in for a 6 hour round if your in the back 4 ball.

Reply : Tue 20th May 2008 22:37

Sorry Col, you're too close to Tiger to play with us!  Good ideas though. 

I think stableford is a good format for high handicappers as we generally have high handicaps due to inconsistency.  Stableford allows you to have a really bad hole without wrecking your entire card.  Plus, with so many of us happy hackers going round, picking up once you know you can't score may keep the time down to a reasonable level. 

Reply : Wed 21st May 2008 11:18

They're still pondering it Lee.  I'll chase them this week.  I'm playing with them Sunday and set that as a deadline for them and let you know after the round at the latest. 

Sorry to keep you waiting, but they have commitment issues with making a decision!

Reply : Sun 25th May 2008 17:03

Lee,

Can you add the bro-in-law to the list.  Name is David Shingler, playing off 28 (should be 128 after today's game!).

Thanks in advance 

Reply : Mon 2nd Jun 2008 17:13

Lee,

Check out the comp message board, there are a couple of people who want to join in on there that are struggling with registration. 

Reply : Fri 27th Jun 2008 12:10

Just a couple of days to go.  Everyone excited?

user24437
Reply : Fri 27th Jun 2008 12:13

Good luck you lot - luckily I'll be at the Golfshake weekend cup so I should (just) be out of range of any stray balls!

Reply : Fri 27th Jun 2008 12:21

I've just taken delivery of 4 dozen balls I bought off e-bay.  Should be enough to get me round.  If you find a Titleist NXT with a blue dot though Tim, it may just be mine!

Reply : Sat 28th Jun 2008 22:00

Dave isn't playing because he's in mourning.  He lost Tim, Wayne and Colin in his last round

Reply : Sun 29th Jun 2008 18:49

Great game today of like minded happy hackers.  Thanks all for an enjoyable round which saw some record highs and lows!  Look forward to Lee's blog and the steward's enquiry!

user35357
Reply : Sun 29th Jun 2008 20:04

Thanks all i had a great if not long day today!! last ones in thought we might get clapped in!! Great day with lots of new friends made hope to do it all again!

Reply : Mon 30th Jun 2008 09:53

I thought when I came in with 41 I must have won since every other golfshake event I've been to has been won with 38 or 39.  I was gutted when Mark came in with 46.  I think he should be asked to prove his handicap!!!

I'm so glad John Pettit wasn't there, Mark wouldn't have made it back out of the clubhouse!  I would have got stick with my score!

user52922
Reply : Mon 30th Jun 2008 10:03

I can imagine your disappointment, Chris, a good score indeed and worthy of a win.

user24437
Reply : Mon 30th Jun 2008 11:13

I can't find any photos - any pointers?

Reply : Mon 30th Jun 2008 11:14

Thanks John.  One of those games where nothing was outstanding but nothing was paticularly bad.  I can just imagine the look on on your face if two 28 handicappers came in with 40+ points at a medal   I'd be pretty sceptical too and was surprised to score that well. 

Reply : Mon 30th Jun 2008 13:32

Lee,

Dave Shingler's score is not showing up on the comp but he's registered on Golfshake.  Any reason why not and is there anything we can do to correct it?  If not, can you let me know his scores so I can send them on to him. 

Thanks in advance

user8 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Fri 4th Jul 2008 14:23

Did any photos get posted ?

Reply : Sat 5th Jul 2008 00:15

See the event page Darren

user8 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Sat 5th Jul 2008 10:19

Can you post the link ?  DOesn't show if you haven't taken part in the event and when the dates past.

Darren.

Reply : Sat 5th Jul 2008 11:34
Reply : Mon 7th Jul 2008 13:45

I'm scared......

Only half the spots for Round 2 are now gone Lee, so tell your mates to hurry up and get themselves on the list.  I might let Mark play......

The Forums have now moved to a new version

We have now moved the forum to a new and improved system which provides more functionality plus provides easier access from desktop, tablets and smart phone devices.

Click here to view the new forum & register for free.

Scroll to top