Tuition:

Video Library | Tuition Sections

Community:

Join | Log In | Help | Useful Links

New Forum System - click here to visit our new & improved forum system >>>

Putting aid - Rhythmiser

Posted by: user85103 | Sat 26th Apr 2008 16:40 | Last Reply

Fellow golfers

I'm looking to improve my putting and am specifically interested in whether anyone out there has tried the Rhythmiser (by Harold Swash)? IIf so, how did you find it?

Also, iIf anyone  has significantly improved their putting with any other training aid or technique, I'd be very interested.

Please note I'm suffering mainly with effective execution rather than knowing the theory.

Many thanks

Hugh 

re: Putting aid - Rhythmiser
user52922
Reply : Sat 26th Apr 2008 20:11

On the crap greens of these new USGA spec golf courses we seem to be inundated with, in this country, it is very difficult to ascertain whether one is putting poorly, or whether the problem lies with the surface of the green.

I have never been a gifted putter, but I am usually pretty consistent in the fact that three putting is not something that I used to do very often.

I do know that having played on some wonderful surfaces in my life, that the better the green the more accurate one has to be and playing on this type of smooth surface cultivates a stroke that can be taken anywhere, but the reverse will never be true.

Scientific methods should produce consistent putting results, but there have been many players over the years who had something special on the greens, Bobby Locke for instance seemed to hit every putt with a draw, yet he was know as a brilliant putter. No one has ever rolled the ball as well as that classic left hander, Bob Charles. Ben Crenshaw and Phil Mickelson are noted for their putting skills and not forgetting the Tiger who seems to hole everything he has to hole, when it is needed.

It is no good being on line, if one comes up short.

Last edit : Sat 26th Apr 2008 20:41
user23840
Reply : Sun 27th Apr 2008 08:26

You've got to get up, to get down.

Last edit : Sun 27th Apr 2008 08:26
user24437
Reply : Sun 27th Apr 2008 08:32

There is only one absolutely foolproof way to improve your putting Hugh.  It does not involve books, videos or training aids, it's called practice.  Do it wherever and whenever you can, don't bother smashing balls at a driving range, go somewhere that's got a pratcice green and just knock balls in.  Simple.

user52922
Reply : Sun 27th Apr 2008 10:04

Sound advice, Tim.

user52922
Reply : Sun 27th Apr 2008 19:43

Interesting, Paul, but I would say that if your number one works,and you hit it hard enough, then the rest become irrelevant.

user24437
Reply : Sun 27th Apr 2008 23:28

Pulling or pushing putts is usually caused, in my experience, by the swing plane of the putter.  I've added some more alignment marks to my putter which helps to eliminate that, they help to keep my eyes directly in line with the plane.  They act a bit like the height measurement device they used for the dambuster bombs - eliminate the parallax error.   

user24437
Reply : Mon 28th Apr 2008 07:17

The spotlights were for the height, the t-bar was for the distance, smarty pants.

user85103
Reply : Mon 28th Apr 2008 23:41

All 

Thanks for some great observations and comments.

However, I can't help being surprised that no-one  either owns or has tried a Rhythmiser. I have found only one review during my extensive search on the internet and that person raved about it.

Didn't find any for sale on eBay either, so thatcould be taken as either a good thing (people like to keep them) or a bad thig (no-one bothers buying and using them).

Looks like I'll just have to buy one and then post back the results....

Hugh

The Forums have now moved to a new version

We have now moved the forum to a new and improved system which provides more functionality plus provides easier access from desktop, tablets and smart phone devices.

Click here to view the new forum & register for free.

Scroll to top