Gear | Tour | Industry Insider

Tuition:

Video Library | Tuition Sections

Community:

Join | Log In | Help | Useful Links

New Forum System - click here to visit our new & improved forum system >>>

MatchPlay tips

Posted by: user16742 | Thu 24th Apr 2008 11:56 | Last Reply

Playing in my first matchplay event tommorrow. Against an oppenent that plays of 26 im of 27 and we get full handicap difference. But dont know if the maximum is 18 so either way i think we will both get no shots a hole or i may get a shot on one hole that he dont.
Whats the generaly advice here. Play my own game, or react to what he does? Should i try to get my ball inside his everytime or do what tiger does and layup sometime so i have first shot at the green?
Help on this very much appreciated

re: MatchPlay tips
user50354
Reply : Thu 24th Apr 2008 12:15

Play 3 to the green and 2 putt..

If he beats that then fair play to him...

user50354
Reply : Thu 24th Apr 2008 12:26

Well eye - 2 to green and 3 putt

user50354
Reply : Thu 24th Apr 2008 12:37

Is it Crook Matt..?

1st hole - steady tee shot down middle with 5 iron or utilty or what is comfortable. 9 iron to within wedge distance and 2 putts = steady 5 - your probably one up now.

2nd hole - steady 5 iron then chip on green and one putt = struth your 2 up already.

Then let him chase ya and pick him off - nice and easy does it...

Let us know your result...

user33026 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Thu 24th Apr 2008 12:49

Make sure he has to beat you rather than you giving it to him. 

At the N v S (in which the North had another glorious victory - just saying), I was the highest handicapper in our group, meaning I had a few holes where I had a stroke.  I took the approach of put the first one in the middle of the fairway, even if it means using an iron.  You've then got the same number of strokes to go 180 yards less than your opponent.  I laid up at a long par 3, chipped on from 30 yards and just missed my par putt but the bogey still halved the hole. 

Now if only I could learn to do that all of the time I'd get my bloody handicap down. 

Last edit : Thu 24th Apr 2008 12:51
user50354
Reply : Thu 24th Apr 2008 12:52

That 2nd Matt could be the crunch - just because it is a par 3 don't mean ya can't lay up.

I would no danger - the go for green option is perhaps a birdie but probably a 5 or 6.....Your there to win - not to impress those juicy Crook girls looking on...

Last edit : Thu 24th Apr 2008 12:52
user24437
Reply : Thu 24th Apr 2008 13:57

My tips are no gimme's and try not to laugh out loud when your opponent misses a 10 inch putt

user50354
Reply : Thu 24th Apr 2008 19:14

Ya mean its just me the crook girls follow.

user81455
Reply : Mon 28th Apr 2008 10:07

Jamie, depends whether the pars and bogeys Matt refers to were net or gross.  If they were net then his opponent was only playing to his handicap.

It is one of the things I like about golf is that you have a reasonably objective measure of how you played.  You can lose a match or not win a competition but still feel good if you have performed above your normal level on that course or against your handicap. 

When I lose at squash I am never completely sure whether it is due to my poor performance or a good one from my opponent.  Although with the passing years it is usually the former.

The Forums have now moved to a new version

We have now moved the forum to a new and improved system which provides more functionality plus provides easier access from desktop, tablets and smart phone devices.

Click here to view the new forum & register for free.

Scroll to top