Gear | Tour | Industry Insider

Tuition:

Video Library | Tuition Sections

Community:

Join | Log In | Help | Useful Links

New Forum System - click here to visit our new & improved forum system >>>

Handicap system in comps

Posted by: user16742 | Wed 23rd Apr 2008 09:12 | Last Reply

So if the handicap is worked out in a scientific way say for example player A had a handicap of 14 so everytime he played golf he would average 14 shots over par. And player B had an handicap of 8 so again when he playes golf he averages 8 over par.
And if thats how the handicap is worked out then it works.
So why when you play comps do you have to use 3/4 7/8 of your handicap. If you have to do this then surly the way of getting the handicap is floored.
I thought the point of handicaps was to creat a leavel playing feild for different ability golfers.
But the 7/8 or 3/4 faviors the lower handicapper.  
In the example player A would lose 3 shots (10.5) and player b would lose 2 shots.

re: Handicap system in comps
user52922
Reply : Wed 23rd Apr 2008 09:20

You have worked out the mathematics, Matt but what you have not taken into consideration is the fact that it is far easier to play 3/4 shots under ones handicap when one is 24 that it is for the four handicapper to do the same. So this is why it is7/8 for stableford and 3/4 for matchplay. When this was introduced many moons ago, handicaps for men were a maximum of 24 and therefore 3/4 gave the player 18 shots, one stroke per hole. Now of course the whole system is ridiculous where a player receives 2 shots on a hole.

user52922
Reply : Wed 23rd Apr 2008 10:45

This is no good, everyone starting to agree with me.

user50354
Reply : Wed 23rd Apr 2008 12:12

Everyone should be off scratch for me.

Never really understood why a better player is penalised for being a better player.

If I wanted to beat a better player I would (a) practise more and (b) try harder.

Winning because I have more shots than someone just don't register with me.

user52922
Reply : Wed 23rd Apr 2008 12:19

Nice perspective to have, Robbie, my sentiments exactly.

user83555
Reply : Wed 23rd Apr 2008 17:59

I always thought 3/4 was there to frustrate the "bandits"

user81455
Reply : Wed 23rd Apr 2008 18:40

The other way round the problem of high handicappers finding it easier to shoot good scores is to arrange competitions in divisions. Providing you can get enough people to enter in each division to make them competitive then everyone can play off their full handicap.

I do think the handicap system is good to make competitions tight.  It is useful to make friendly games between groups that have widely different abilities interesting.  However I am surprised how few scratch competitions seem to be arranged by clubs.

user50354
Reply : Thu 24th Apr 2008 08:29

I thought there were already divisions in place for comps..?

Certainly opens in the North East have divisional comps - think I am division 3 this year ( a relegation certainty )...

The Forums have now moved to a new version

We have now moved the forum to a new and improved system which provides more functionality plus provides easier access from desktop, tablets and smart phone devices.

Click here to view the new forum & register for free.

Scroll to top