Gear | Tour | Industry Insider

Tuition:

Video Library | Tuition Sections

Community:

Join | Log In | Help | Useful Links

New Forum System - click here to visit our new & improved forum system >>>

Where to stand

Posted by: user81455 | Tue 8th Apr 2008 21:10 | Last Reply

When waiting for my partners to play I have always tended to stand behind them either just to the right or left.  This I find the best position to sight their shot and advise them where it has gone if they lose it in flight.  If I stand to the side and have to move my head to follow the ball I quite often lose it. No one I have played with has ever has ever complained about me standing behind them. 

However the etiquette section of the rules of golf states, "Players should not stand close to or directly behind the ball when a player is about to play." Can anyone explain why this is considered a problem.  Is it because they might catch sight of you in the backswing although I can't see how if they are looking at the ball or is it a safety issue if the club slips out of their hands in the back swing? Or am I misunderstanding what the etiquette section says?

re: Where to stand
user81455
Reply : Tue 8th Apr 2008 21:32

So if I'm standing 4 or 5 metres back and a metre or two to the right or left I'm OK.

user81455
Reply : Tue 8th Apr 2008 22:43

Thanks Chris

user52922
Reply : Tue 8th Apr 2008 23:11

I am not that fussed where they stand just as long as they keep still, as any slight movement will be picked up in the peripheral vision.

user24437
Reply : Wed 9th Apr 2008 09:29

Safest place with me is directly in front!

user50843
Reply : Thu 10th Apr 2008 22:12

I believe, Mat, you have to be 3 paces either side of the line of your opponents put, but once they have played the shot you can move to directly behind to watch the line, sneaky monkey 

user26342
Reply : Fri 11th Apr 2008 12:39

I play with one person who stands directly behind me on all shots which was really annoying & often put me off. I didin't want to make a big deal out of it so I used it to my advantage & started to ask him if I was lined up OK, where my feet where pointing etc.

When this started to help me he stopped standing behind me!!!

J. 

The Forums have now moved to a new version

We have now moved the forum to a new and improved system which provides more functionality plus provides easier access from desktop, tablets and smart phone devices.

Click here to view the new forum & register for free.

Scroll to top