Video Library | Tuition Sections

Community:

Join | Log In | Help | Useful Links

New Forum System - click here to visit our new & improved forum system >>>

Having Clubs lengthened / ball flight

Posted by: user85262 | Tue 8th Apr 2008 12:04 | Last Reply

Hi

Just wondered,  what you think.

Since I started playing Ive had a tendency to get a fairly low ball trajectory & so any approach shot to a green with a bunker in front can cause me problems as I always struggle to get the ball high and to stop on the green.

Anyway nothing to do with the above i decided to take my clubs into the golf shop and ask about having them extended ( this was more for getting a consistant strike on the ball) as with my 5 up to PW i really feel as if I'm in a stooped position and unbalanced.  If the ball is teed up I feel a lot more confident and strike the ball fairly consitantly and so I figured it could be the length of my clubs giving me a problem.    I'm 6ft 1 and measurement from wrist crease to floor is 37 inches.

The clubs are  standard size. (graphite)  Taylormade R7 CGB Max.

The guy in the shop suggested I have one of the clubs extended by an inch and then I could try it & have it taken out if I didnt like it.

Anyway,  just had my 8 iron extended by an inch and went to the range last night - not only was I getting far better contact with the ball off the mat (and felt I could keep a better posture) but I was getting a much higher trajectory which I figure is going to help me a lot on those approach shots.

Just wondered why the extra inch of length in the club would make such a difference in the trajectory - does this make sense?

Thanks all for any comments

John

re: Having Clubs lengthened / ball flight
user71987
Reply : Tue 8th Apr 2008 12:13

John,

i'm 6'4" and wrist crease to floor is 32 inches. 37? are you sure?

anyway. i have standard length clubs which seem to work for me. if your measurments are right i cant see that an inch will make a great deal of difference. but if it works??!!!

user85262
Reply : Tue 8th Apr 2008 12:19

Simon

Yes, just checked again.

Definately 37 inches from wrist crease to floor.  I suppose that means Ive either got short arms or long legs, not sure which.

thanks

John

user71987
Reply : Tue 8th Apr 2008 12:22

blimey.

the belfry has a great fitting center. failing that pop down to Direct golf or American golf and have a check.

When you bought which are a bloody expensive set did the pro/sales guy not check you out?

user85262
Reply : Tue 8th Apr 2008 12:35

I had tried a friends set before I bought them and was hitting them far better than the cheap set I had bought initially and payed £450 instead of £850 by getting them from America so they were just standard size.

It was a guy in Nevada Bobs measured me last week that suggested that an extra inch would help.

I was very new to the game when I bought the clubs and just wanted them, its only later when you start to look at ways of improving your game that you think about the length etc

user85262
Reply : Fri 6th Jun 2008 14:50

Steven

Yes I did, I got them all lengthened by an inch.  Doesnt sound a lot but it is a massive difference.  They just put some sort of a plug in the end of the grip and put the same grips back on.

Initially for the first few weeks I thought oh no what have I done.  I could hit the PW to 7 iron more consistantly than before and got a much better contact on the ball.

Then after 2 or 3 weeks just worked down to the 6 iron and in recent weeks usiing the 5 iron - I'm probably getting 15 yards extra per club.

It would probably be worth doing the same as I did and getting the 7 or 8 iron done first and trying it out  & then getting the rest done afterwards if it works out ok - they can take it out again if not and its not very expensive anyway.  (prices i was quoted did vary from £5 per club to £12 per club)

Hope thats of some help.

John  

The Forums have now moved to a new version

We have now moved the forum to a new and improved system which provides more functionality plus provides easier access from desktop, tablets and smart phone devices.

Click here to view the new forum & register for free.

Scroll to top