Gear | Tour | Industry Insider

Tuition:

Video Library | Tuition Sections

Community:

Join | Log In | Help | Useful Links

New Forum System - click here to visit our new & improved forum system >>>

Why can't I get better?

Posted by: user71525 | Mon 7th Apr 2008 12:51 | Last Reply

When I started Golf about 20 years ago - the first handicap I ever got was 18 - I then went away from golf only playing a couple of times a year - now - for the last year I have been back into golf and really trying to improve. I have bought new clubs, had lessons and practiced like never before - and I am not getting any better. I am so frustrated.

Just thought I would mention it.

re: Why can't I get better?
user26342
Reply : Mon 7th Apr 2008 13:02

Maybe you are setting your expectations too high??

Who is giving you the lessons (would deffo advise a pro)

Is the practice constructive (i.e hitting 200 balls at the driving range with no purpose is of no good at all)

My thoughts.

J. 

user9368
Reply : Mon 7th Apr 2008 13:16

When you find out let me know

user52922
Reply : Mon 7th Apr 2008 13:21

Colin, all will be revealed when we play together on Sunday.

user9368
Reply : Mon 7th Apr 2008 13:33

Look forward to it John

user81455
Reply : Mon 7th Apr 2008 17:41

Mark, keep working at it. I've had a similar experience to you although at a lower level.  I had a ten year break from the game and on my first sortie out shot 104 with nothing bigger than a 4 iron in my bag.  Great I thought I've had a ten year break and I've got better I'll soon be shooting reasonable scores.

Over the next ten rounds my scores got worse and worse ending with a 130+ round where I could not hit the ball at all.  However I parred the last hole when I finally relaxed which enticed me back and scores slowly improved and I averaged 100 over the winter. 

However I have dscovered that as I have added new clubs to my bag and worked on various aspects of my game that scores often get worse before they get better.  I have just changed my membership from one club to another and upgraded my 3 wood and long irons.  Result scores are back in 110s but I'm learning as the new course requires more accuracy and the extra length I've gained on the new clubs needs to be honed into my course management.

user85103
Reply : Sat 26th Apr 2008 16:59

Mark

Some observations and comments for what it's worth.....

Without seeing your swing and talking to you, it's difficult to be specific in my suggestions. However, from seeing a great many players with handicaps over 15, I would say almost all of them would benefit from using David Leadbetter's Swing Setter. I have one and it is excellent. It will help you swing with rhythm and timing and help you use your wrists correctly (a great source of power).

On top of this, I would suggest focussing on taking your address position and then moving the club back and through keeping your hands in front of your body or, as Leadbetter puts it in one of his DVD's, "the dog wags the tail". Almost all players with handicaps of 15 or more swing too much with their arms and hands, immediately losing any consistency and most of the "free" power that would come from their body (they then lurch at the ball to try to find power and it all goes wrong). When I swing badly, this is more often than not where I have gone wrong and I work on it all the time.

Finally, lessons can be good but will never replace the need for the student to practise and study themselves. I recommend you check out www.golflink.com for a huge variety of great video tips from the best in the business.

Stick with it and good luck!

Hugh

user50843
Reply : Wed 14th May 2008 22:06

It just goes to prove, Marc, you will never get any good at this game without lessons...

The Forums have now moved to a new version

We have now moved the forum to a new and improved system which provides more functionality plus provides easier access from desktop, tablets and smart phone devices.

Click here to view the new forum & register for free.

Scroll to top