Gear | Tour | Industry Insider

Tuition:

Video Library | Tuition Sections

Community:

Join | Log In | Help | Useful Links

New Forum System - click here to visit our new & improved forum system >>>

Unplayable Lies

Posted by: user81455 | Wed 2nd Apr 2008 23:14 | Last Reply

I played 18 holes on a nine hole course last weekend.  At the second par 3 I hit my tee shot left and just short of the green into the middle of some gorse bushes.  I hit a provisional ball very short and right.  After a five minute search to no avail I continued with the provisional ball hitting it through the green, chipping back and three putting for a seven.

On the back nine at the same hole I again hit my tee shot left although straighter and wasn't sure whether I had caught the gorse again.  I hit a provisional ball very short and right.  This time I found the ball but it had rolled under the gorse bush nearest the green and was unplayable.  Given my woeful effort with the provisional I opted to drop within two club lengths but not nearer the hole.  Chipped close to the pin and 1 putted for a four.

Later I wondered whether I had got the rules wrong as it seemed an unfair advantage to be able to select one of the other two options under the unplayable ball rule already knowing how bad my provisional ball shot was.  Should I have continued with the provisoinal ball having hit it before I knew my ball was unplayable?

re: Unplayable Lies
user52922
Reply : Wed 2nd Apr 2008 23:25

No, you did the correct thing, Jon, as a ball that is found must be played or declared unplayable and then take relief. You can play your provisonal up until you reach the point where your first ball may be lost, but if the first ball is found then it must be played.

user52922
Reply : Wed 2nd Apr 2008 23:34

Sorry, David, I obviously am a faster typist than you.

user52922
Reply : Wed 2nd Apr 2008 23:46

I read the whole post but it was the last sentence that took my eye, so I responded to that.

I know how he felt the first time round as I do it all the time.

user81455
Reply : Wed 2nd Apr 2008 23:46

Sorry, David I should have checked back on my scorecard rather than doing it from memory I 2 putted so it was a seven.

Still a little confused about my second attempt at the hole.  Under the unplayable ball rule I have three options.  The one I took, to play further back in line with the hole or to return to the spot I hit the ball from ie the tee.  Are you saying that on finding the ball i have to pick up the provisional and if I want to hit my third from the tee I can't use the provisional but have to hit a third ball off the tee.

user81455
Reply : Thu 3rd Apr 2008 16:01

Thanks

user33026 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Thu 3rd Apr 2008 17:03

You must complete the hole with the same ball.  If you cannot retrieve it, it is considered lost with a stroke and distance penalty. 

I suggest you get yourself a ball retreiver!

user52922
Reply : Thu 3rd Apr 2008 18:03

You notice I kept clear of this one, David, to give you a chance to take centre stage.

Last edit : Thu 3rd Apr 2008 19:39
user81455
Reply : Thu 3rd Apr 2008 20:34

Steve easier said then done.  I was determined not to put my tee shot in the bushes the second time round and I was determined not to hit the provisional short and right.

I think there is some psychological thing going on that once you've visualised the bad shot it becomes more likely that you will do it even if you are determined not to and have visualised what you are trying to do before you hit the ball.

The Forums have now moved to a new version

We have now moved the forum to a new and improved system which provides more functionality plus provides easier access from desktop, tablets and smart phone devices.

Click here to view the new forum & register for free.

Scroll to top