Gear | Tour | Industry Insider

Tuition:

Video Library | Tuition Sections

Community:

Join | Log In | Help | Useful Links

New Forum System - click here to visit our new & improved forum system >>>

Handicap calculation

Posted by: user67970 | Mon 31st Mar 2008 21:49 | Last Reply

Hi, I've just joined the site which I think is great.

I hope this isnt a stupid question, but could someone please explain to me how the handicap on the site is calculated. In particular :-

1. Is it a rolling handicap i.e. If i've played 20 rounds is the handicap calculated on all these or just the last 3 ?

2. When entering scores, if for example a player scored a 9 say on a par 4 is this entered as a 6 or 9. My understanding was that when a handicap is calculated nothing worse than a double bogie is assumed on each hole ?

Any help or guidance would be appreciated

Mark   

re: Handicap calculation
user8 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Tue 1st Apr 2008 08:39

To answer your questions.

1, THe handicap is calculated on a round by round basis

2, For stroke play you should always record your score so 9. Technically in relation to handiaps then blobs are recorded as nett double bogey which woud result in no stableford points. So in you example this is potentially incorrect the correct way to adjust is to take into account the SI (Stroke Index) ie Handicap 20 Par 4 SI 2   You would receive 2 shots on this hole so the nett double bogey score for a blo would be 8 which is 0 points.  6 would be technically a nett par and result in 2 stableford points.

Hope this makese sense.

re: Handicap calculation
user8 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Thu 24th Apr 2008 15:07

Mark, possible not because the SSS is taken into account for each course.  For a full explanation of the golf handicap system see the help section.

Jon, at present no but I may look to changes this as this year a new rule came into affect which allows clubs the discretion to include 9 hole rounds in handicapping. 

The Forums have now moved to a new version

We have now moved the forum to a new and improved system which provides more functionality plus provides easier access from desktop, tablets and smart phone devices.

Click here to view the new forum & register for free.

Scroll to top