Gear | Tour | Industry Insider

Tuition:

Video Library | Tuition Sections

Community:

Join | Log In | Help | Useful Links

New Forum System - click here to visit our new & improved forum system >>>

Club cleaning

Posted by: user16742 | Sun 23rd Mar 2008 16:17 | Last Reply

Is there anyway of getting your clubs shiney and new like they were when you first bought them?

Or how do you go about cleaning them? 

re: Club cleaning
user41897
Reply : Sun 23rd Mar 2008 17:25

Ask engineer Hawkins - He has probably developed the Hawkins patented club cleaning aparatus.

Alternatively, may I suggest the wife... 

user15767
Reply : Sun 23rd Mar 2008 21:19

Andy,

I'd say that was a very sexist remark!!

You might also find the slight dirty clubs now have a serious kink in them and are wrapped around your neck.

Sandra 

user24437
Reply : Mon 24th Mar 2008 00:06

I use a mild washing up liquid solution and get clean all the mud off with an electric toothbrush.  Dry them off, and then use a dab of Solvol Autosol worked in with another toothbush, leave it to dry and then buff them with a cloth - come up a treat.  A thin smear of washing up liquid on the grips which is left to dry keeps them nice and sticky.  If the heads are really stained Solvol and a polishing mop on a Dremel will sort them out.

Was going to make a joke about scrubbing my balls in the sink, but I won't.

user24437
Reply : Mon 24th Mar 2008 08:48

You can get Solvol Autosol from any car or bike spares shop - Halfords or Charlie Browns do it - comes in a gold and black toothpatse like tube.  DON'T use too much or you'll spend most of the time trying to get it out of the groves.

Neat washing up liquid on your hands to smear the grips - again not too much - once it's dry won't bubble up.

user80414
Reply : Mon 24th Mar 2008 14:55

sounds like your lucky christopher. My range barely has round balls let loan, new fangled club cleaners!

user77012
Reply : Mon 24th Mar 2008 17:14

Like chris i use an ultrasonic machine i managed to buy a small one quite reasonable so mine get cleaned every time they get back to the garage.

Its not quite big enough to do the whole grip but certainly keeps the heads and grooves clean.

It is my pet hate to see dirty clubs on the first tee especially if they are team  members of mine, but if its the opposition i might smile.

And David you need to get out more.................but then you knew that anyways 

user52922
Reply : Mon 24th Mar 2008 20:03

No, Matt, he has a small black cylinder with a brush on the top and the cylinder holds the soapy water. I have one as well but am not so fastidious as David, as his brush looks as though it has been dragged through ahedge backwards whilst mine is unused.

user50354
Reply : Tue 25th Mar 2008 08:50

Clean mine after every game..

Luke warm water and washing up liquid and a brush that has wire one side and soft bristles the other..

Then I clean my used balls in the same water..

NWOT...........

user30263
Reply : Mon 26th Nov 2012 15:12

I was looking through the Forums and found this chain of posts. Very interesting to read even though from a while back. It is good to see positive comments about Ultrasonic Cleaning as many players dont know anything about it! It is the most effective and time efficient way to clean clubs there is.As for Fairy Liquid it will never get the grips to come up as well as a Professional Ultrasonic clean. If any players see Clear Swing Professional Ultrasonic Cleaning services at an event, give them a try, you will not be disappointed!

user202037 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Mon 26th Nov 2012 16:12

I remember an electric Buffer in the back of our workshop and adding something called "Soap" to one wheel. Brought the heads up as new, had to stay away from the blasted faces as it would make them shine too.

user282395
Reply : Mon 26th Nov 2012 17:24

Mr Higham seems to be spamming...

Fairy liquid and water never fails, although my clubs rarely come out the boot unless it's particularly hot (heard horror stories of hosel glue going after being ovened in a car). Towel on bag for wiping after shots and little stiff brush for grooves. Just a quick note on the Autosol - fine on heads, but be wary of using it on your shafts, it is abrasive and will wear through the chromed finish eventually (no idea how thick the chroming is on clubs mind). Same same if you're using an abrasive soap for buffing, especially with an electric buffer.

user24437
Reply : Tue 27th Nov 2012 00:13

Chris. You'd really have to abuse the shafts with Solvol to go through the chrome - usually using too much of the stuff and rubbing too hard - it is abrasive but to get through 12 microns of plate will take some effort. Just an update on the cleaning, I recently tried getting a matt finish on the club face using soda blasting which worked reasonably well (used a large nozzle on an airbrush gun with bicarbonate of soda solution), but will need a few more goes to perfect it. To get the grips really sticky I'd now recommend a strong sugar soap solution and one of those green abrasive washing up sponges and then a thorough rinse in clean water. Gets all the grease off and brings them up like new.

user282395
Reply : Wed 28th Nov 2012 21:42

Thanks for the info Tim, just thought I'd mention it as I managed to get through the chrome on a couple of shiney motorbike bits after a few years excessive cleaning! Clearly club shafts are better plated!

user30263
Reply : Tue 11th Dec 2012 10:02

Chris, Apologies for any offence caused, I was merely trying to be factual and helpful regarding Ultrasonic cleaning, yes I do have a vested interest. Everyone has the choice but all the manual options take valuable time and effort and there is actually no better time efficient and effective way than an Ultrasonic Clean for both heads and grips. To be able to have clubs returned to you as good as new and not spend at the very least a good hour trying to clean them yourself is a no brainer for me. I would never put Fairy Liquid on grips, especially to leave it on to dry! If you are on the course and rained it would be a nightmare! If people want or like to spend lots of time cleaning their clubs a washing powder would be better than Fairy Liquid.

The Forums have now moved to a new version

We have now moved the forum to a new and improved system which provides more functionality plus provides easier access from desktop, tablets and smart phone devices.

Click here to view the new forum & register for free.

Scroll to top