Gear | Tour | Industry Insider

Tuition:

Video Library | Tuition Sections

Community:

Join | Log In | Help | Useful Links

New Forum System - click here to visit our new & improved forum system >>>

How many putts?

Posted by: user80078 | Sun 23rd Mar 2008 12:37 | Last Reply

Have recently taken ownership of a Wilson Deep Red II putter. My first round with it resulted in 33 putts. I felt this was pretty good. I realise that not every round requires the same manner of putts, but what would you see as a good putting round. Mike.

re: How many putts?
user11501
Reply : Sun 23rd Mar 2008 17:04

I feel putting stats can be misleading. You can say go round a course in par and have 18 putts. Then on the other hand you can make par and then have 36 putts.

Putts have, IMO no bearing on how you have played. You can miss every green and get up and down = 18 putts or hit GIR and have 36 putts.

Most amateurs, I think have in the region of 30 to 36 putts again each round of golf is individual and nether the same.

user52922
Reply : Sun 23rd Mar 2008 17:47

You are correct, Martin, putting stats are usually very good when one is not playing too well, as one has a lot of chips which result in a fair few single putts.

Hitting greens makes it harder for the putter.

Last edit : Sun 23rd Mar 2008 20:13
user80078
Reply : Sun 23rd Mar 2008 20:24

I understand what you are saying John and if you note I did say that every round is different in terms of the putts required. However, you can come away from a round feeling that you have putted well. I was just enquiring as to what most guys 'feel' is a good putting round in terms of number of putts made. 

user25268
Reply : Sun 23rd Mar 2008 20:30

18 holes 2 putts each 36 putts great, anything under brilliant.

user52922
Reply : Sun 23rd Mar 2008 20:51

For me Michael, I consider I have had a good putting round, if I hole everything from three feet in, which are the most difficult of all, as they can ruin a good round of golf, if missed too often.

user80078
Reply : Sun 23rd Mar 2008 20:55

That's a good philosophy John, as its the shorter missed putts which leave one feeling you have given a shot away.

user24437
Reply : Mon 24th Mar 2008 00:10

I hate it if I get over 36 putts a round, and yes it's the short ones that usually do it for me.  If I get time to have a few practise putts before a round it's always from about 2 to 3 ft away, never longer. 

user81455
Reply : Mon 24th Mar 2008 00:10

As with all stats the longer the period you compare them over the more meaningful they are.  John is right that if you compare one round with another you can have 27 putts one round but if you have been chipping close to the hole it can be worse putting than the next one where you have 36 putts but the first putt has been from the edge of the green.  However if you compare the average number of putts you have over one year with another these quirks should iron themselves out. 

I agree with Brian that 36 putts has to be the standard and I also agree with Matt that having no three putts indicates you've putted well.

user50354
Reply : Wed 23rd Apr 2008 12:26

Anywhere between 27 and 34 putts.

Don't forget  30 odd putts can result from a good putting day but a bad pitching day..

user80078
Reply : Sun 9th Dec 2012 15:23

Just to update my initial post, I played yesterday and took 37 putts, (one 3 putt) my worst in some months. However I did hit 6 GIR. (my highest for ages) I came away disappointed that I had not made one single putt green, but on reflection got down with some good shorter putts to avoid lots of 3's when initially putting from long distance.. It goes to show that you can't just talk about putting, without considering other areas of one's game.

The Forums have now moved to a new version

We have now moved the forum to a new and improved system which provides more functionality plus provides easier access from desktop, tablets and smart phone devices.

Click here to view the new forum & register for free.

Scroll to top