Tuition:

Video Library | Tuition Sections

Community:

Join | Log In | Help | Useful Links

New Forum System - click here to visit our new & improved forum system >>>

Beat the spammers/Junk messages

Posted by: user22898 | Thu 1st Jun 2006 22:58 | Last Reply

Darren,

My suggestions for stopping the junk messages/spammers. Obviously you would only use one of the below (though item 1 can be used across the board) and the list goes from least invasive, to the extreme:

1/ Make the forum messages pickup the user�s name and email address from the user�s session settings. This means all messages would be submitted with real user credentials.

2/ Though user�s can create their own accounts and gain instant access. Do not allow those accounts �write� access to the forums until the account�s email address has been verified in some way. i.e. to enter a code into the user�s profile which was sent to the user�s email address.

3/ Do not allow instant access to the site after the account has been created. You check all account applications and then send a temporary access password to the user�s email address.

4/ Do not allow people with �free� email hosts (hotmail, gmail, etc) to create user accounts.

5/ Only allow Premium Account holders �write� access to the forums.

Hope this is of help. Keith

[%sig%]

re: Beat the spammers/Junk messages
user8 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Thu 1st Jun 2006 23:01

Cheers for this. This is something I am working to resolve and stamp out.

I am planning to upgrade the forum so this may help in some way.

Once the forum gets upgraded I hope to expand it out to include more sections for posts on 'Rulings', 'Equipment', 'Golf news' etc

Darren.

The Forums have now moved to a new version

We have now moved the forum to a new and improved system which provides more functionality plus provides easier access from desktop, tablets and smart phone devices.

Click here to view the new forum & register for free.

Scroll to top